Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by anonomous09, Jul 20, 2006.

1. anonomous09

anonomous09 New Member

Hi, I just got into mountainbiking. I just recently purchased an Iron Horse '05 Desperado (fullsuspension). I have been trying to ride as much as possible on the street. Since I am young the couch potato roll has taken its toll, and I have found myself way out of shape. Eventually I want to go to Del Cerra,because I live in Redondo Beach. I have a few questions. First, what is proper trail clothing for a newb. Second, this is extremely newbish, but when jumping do you pull up or just go fast??
    Thanks

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Welcome - clothing: get yourself a good set of biking shorts with a built in chamois (you free ball it with these shorts) after that it's up to you. I always ride in a cycling jersey. They wick moisture more effectively than a t-shirt. Are you riding with platform pedals or clipless? If platforms, make the move to clipless as you become comfortable on the bike. There is a learning curve for unclipping but it's worth it unless you're just going to be a dirt jumper and need to bail a lot.

On jumps, it really depends on the jump you are doing. If there is a kicker or transition will determine how much you pull up. You just want to land on both wheels as smoothly as possible so it's about putting the bike in the proper position for landing. Practice small and work your way up. It's fun!

C

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Get some biking shorts with a chammy liner, a jersey of some kind with wicking fabric (no cotton t shirts unless you want to be soaked in your sweat), a helmet, and some biking gloves. This stuff makes biking a whole lot more comfortable and fun. Camelbak too if you don't already have one.

As for the jumping question, it depends on the jump. If there's a risk that the front end will take a dive because of slow speed or another reason, pull up. If there's enough speed and the landing is such that the bike will naturally land on both wheels then there's no need to pull up unless you want to be really rear heavy and smack your front end down. Just remember to start off small (even curb small) and build up your skill and confidence.

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Don't pay a lot of attention to the TV ads as mountain biking is so much more then jumping off stuff. True, hucking is fun, but there are plenty of other things that make up mountain biking. To some of us the climb is almost as enjoyable as the descent. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. To me there's not a ride better then coming home and barely making it out of the shower before passing out from exhuastion and then sleeping for a few hours, then hopefully doing the same thing the next day.

5. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    HUCKING IS MOUNTAIN BIKING lolz

jumps should be hit quite fast but i reccomend scoping them first just so u can get an idea of wut u have to jump and how far u gotta go