Hello, I'm Brand New to STR.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mike.the.Spike, Jun 6, 2008.

1. itson16

itson16 New Member

Hey I ride Marshall every weekend. I have to stop now thanks to a wrist injury that happened last weekend. I should be good to go in few weeks. Let me know if you want to ride along sometime.

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    :welcome: from the Aliso Rats.

3. manek

manek New Member

:welcome: from Fullerton!!!

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I thought we officially changed the name of that ride to "Pain Freak's birthday ride".

:welcome: From Fontucky where the men are men and the sheeps are scared.

5. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    welcome

:welcome:from anaheim

6. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    Welcome

:welcome: from the California Desert!!

7. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Hey, welcome to the site!

It would be really helpfull to a lot of us if you told us ALL about your collarbone injury, as this is the most frequent cycling injury going. I haven't broken mine yet and at age 50 I ain't lookin' to, but any information you might have can help many!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  8. Tranced

Tranced New Member

Welcome!

9. Mike.the.Spike

Mike.the.Spike Member

Hello Tedroy and anyone who is interested in a broken collarbone story!

It was one of those days where I decided to ride Marshall Canyon by myself, couldn't find a partner and I just HAD to ride that day. I rode this route many times and felt safe in going alone on this day (because I am Mr. I-never-crash aren't I). I was coming down those 3 switchbacks once you pass that new rest shelter that was just built and I was telling myself all day to go slow and be careful.

I started down the 1st switchback portion and was using back brake mostly but touching on the front brake just a little bit. I was going into the 1st turn of the switchbacks while braking and my front tire very slowly began to fade and drift out from under me. I knew. It felt just like a Judo throw and I knew how to fall so I thought no problem I will land on my camelback! I tucked my head and rolled to my right and I planted my camelback on the ground and I hit way harder than I ever dreamed. I rolled with the fall to my right hand side, spiraled too far and landed on my left shoulder and heard SNAP!

Then like a whiplash, my head slammed into the ground, even though I tucked my chin down on my chest in preparation of the hit. The force just grabbed my head with too much strength and slammed my head into the ground (thank God I had my helmet on!). I jumped up quickly ready to kill a grizzly bear cause I lie to myself and tell myself that I'm tough. I felt the shoulder instantly and thought it's at the very least separated. I picked my bike up and no damage, I think I was only going about 7-10 mph tops.

When I sat on my bike and leaned forward onto my handlebars to start pedaling I felt something move under my skin and I thought crap, my collarbone might be broken. I reached over with my right hand and tapped gently on the collarbone and heard "crackle" every time I tapped it. Something was loose. I was like "Yup I broke my collarbone and I have 7 miles to go and I'm all alone"! lol. I looked around carefully for any animals that might think I'm weak and looking good for dinner and the coast was clear! I rode down and almost didn't get my clipped in foot out and almost crashed right away a second time! I walked the rougher parts and coasted the single track-like trail out of there.

I loaded up my bike with one hand onto my bike rack, locked it down and actually went home instead of the emergency. I was covered in mud from the creek that I crossed like 7 times on the way out. I thought, I just couldn't take that kind of dirt into an emergency room so I went home and showered. I then left for the ER after my shower and waited to see a Dr. for like 7 hours! Then they just took an Xray and said go see your Orthopedic Dr. Monday! They asked me what I would rate my pain and I think I said a 6 out of 10. Two weeks later I got a tooth infection and had needed my first root canal ever. I told the Dentist the pain was an 11 out of 10! MUCH WORSE than the collarbone!

All I can say is don't ride alone, it just not wise and always wear your helmet. I can't believe how hard the impact was for how slow and careful I thought I was going. Unreal.

Also because it happened so quickly, so easily, I'm just not riding with any aggression now. I riding again but My Dr. said I simply cannot fall on that shoulder again until about the end of August or he'll have to go in and put some metal plates and put me through a surgery. I'm scared every rut I pass over right now and reckon I'll just be patient and hopefully get over the fear. If not, then I'll ride scared because one thing's for sure, I'm going riding.