Hello From Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gasiorv, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Maybe Memphis doesn't have mountains per se, but I have ridden in and around Knoxville and it was effin awesome.

2. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Yes, but they are on two opposite sides of the state! That's a long distance.

3. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

queen,
    Don't have many pics of our local trails, you can check out stankycreek.com and click on both the trails section and the media section for pics of some of the local trails. Also, stanky creek in my opinion is the best local trail, but unfortunately it is not really ridable much of winter due to mud, but summer it is my favorite.

There are no mountains or elevation change here, but there are three really good trails within 15 minutes of my house and another decent trail within 30 minutes. Heading 1.5-2 hours east and south you get some really great trails (mousetail state park and Clear Creek in Oxford, MS) and then 3-4 hours west you are in the mountains of Arkansas (search syllamo and womble trails) which provide awesome trails.

There is a HUGE difference between East/Central and West TN, you can not compare the two at all, in no aspects, not just riding. If you are thinking about moving to this area PM me and I'll try to give you as much info as possible. Memphis gets a bad rap for a good reason, but there are some nice areas, and like I said 3-4 trails on the way home from work is pretty nice. Cost of living is relatively cheap compared to the east coast and I am sure it is really really cheap compared to CA.

4. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Another trail for your consideration

I've mountain biked in the mid-west and the trails Chesebro Canyon are similar to those at one of the bigger state parks. Probably not the same in distance (the ones in a suburb of St. Louis were a bit more windy w/ lots of turns). Anyway, here's a video of a recent Chesebro ride we did. If you like it, we can host this one, too, for you. Food for thought. ;)

[vimeo]8944027[/vimeo]

Chesebro Canyon (located in Agoura Hills) will be accessible to you on your drive North/West from L.A. to Newbury Park (to pick up your rental) and onward to Pt. Mugu/Sycamore. You'll actually see the sign for Chesebro on the 101 FWY.

5. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

haven't been able to ride for the last few weeks due to rain and we are suppose to get another round of rain/sleet/snow this weekend. I sure hope the weather is nicer out there!! what type of weather should I expect? I am planning on just bringing shorts and then a long sleeve jersey and a short sleeve jersey. Weather.com is currently forecasting mid 60's/mid 40's for socal.

6. g-dub

g-dub Member

If the weather turns nasty you can still roll in shorts, but I find I need a few extra layers for the core.

I'm heading out in roughly your direction next week (a ways upriver in St. Louis). I have to figure out how to dress for work when the only stuff I own for sub-50's temps is my snowboard gear.

7. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Gas, you should be ok with wearing shorts but I'd bring a hoody for the evenings as it can get chilly at night. And like g-dub said, a few layers should be fine just to play it safe. It looks like it'll be in the high 60's low 70's when you come out so you'll be lovin' the weather compared to what TN's got. It'll be great riding weather.

G-Dub, you lived in St. Louis? So did I. What part of St. Louis? West County? Washington area?

8. g-dub

g-dub Member

Just going back on business for the week. (I've always lived within a 10 mile radius in Orange County. Except for college. I ventured all the way to LA for that.)

9. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

I just called and reserved a bike from Newbury cycles. Going to pick it up Sat at 9am and have it until 5pm on sunday. Now hopefully there is some good weather next weekend, we are suffering the effects of an icestorm right now!!

metalmtbr,
    Just sent you a PM with my contact info.

10. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Safe travels my friend.

11. TREE

TREE New Member

:wave: - Welcome........ My wife is from Memphis!!

12. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

I arrived on Tuesday and so far, thanks to the gracious hospitality of JeffJ, I have been able to go on two night rides. I thoroughly enjoyed the rides, much different from trails in West TN. West TN is real tight singletrack through trees with a lot of quick up and downs but no real elevation change. Trails are real "rooty" due to being routed through the trees. So far here I have experienced climbing up a fire road with multiple singletrack options to get back down. I have had the priveledge of experiencing both sweet fast flowing single track back down and also tight twisty singletrack back down. I have even learned what a "g-out" is. HOPEFULLY, I will be able to get in a few rides this weekend, we'll see what the weather presents, right now there is a green spot right over the trails I am planning to ride on the weather radar screen.

Anyone near LAX that has a Light & Motion Multi-Chemistry battery charger? I brought my ARC and my Li-Ion battery but forgot my charger.

13. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Squirrel Cage is a blast, highly recommended.

14. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    I don't know about that jeffj guy... Always thinking about others.

15. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

Another grand day in California. Today I rode "space mountain" from the moore park trailhead up to the bench and back. I actually enjoyed the climb up, but WOW was the ride back fun!! Special thanks goes out to metalmtbr for hooking me up with a few guys to ride with and also for charging my L&M battery so I can get a night ride in tomorrow. Also, Newbury Park Bicycles hooked me up with a nice Giant Anthem for my rental which I think aided in my joy of the climb. I am beginning to think I like it out here!!

LMNOP, Love the Pens Avatar. I am originally from Pitt and still enjoy watching the Pens play. What a great group of young players they got. Pittsburgh just got 28" of snow on Friday!!

16. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Thanks. Not from there, don't have any family there. Grew up watching Lemieux do his thing, and fell in love with hockey and the Pens. Fun team to watch for sure. I'm going to try to get out there next year and watch a game in the new arena.

17. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

Just wanted to follow up with a Big Thank You to everyone who came out and rode with me. I had a blast and enjoyed every minute of it. Special Thanks goes out to Jeffj and to metalmtbr for the hospitality, lending me a bike to ride, coordinating the rides, and even charging my battery so I could get in that last night ride. Heading back to Memphis tomorrow on a 6am flight. Greatly looking forward to seeing the wife and kids, but I sure will miss the SoCal trails.

18. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    I had a good time riding with you Victor. You represented well. Keep in touch.

19. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    It was a pleasure helping out a fellow mountain biker. Busterb said you did really well on the climbs at Space Mountain. Hit us up again next time you're out in SoCal. Have a safe flight back!

20. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    How cool to see fellow MTB'ers stepping up to a guy from 2000 miles away, loaning him bikes, taking him on rides, charging his lights. Awesome community we are.....

Jeff