Hello From Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gasiorv, Jan 6, 2010.

1. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

I live and ride just outside of Memphis, TN. I will be travelling to LA for business in February and will have a weekend stay so I wanted to try and get in a ride while I am out there. I posted on MTBR and was directed to this site. Most of the trails here are very tight singletrack, hard pack clay with a lot of roots, lots of quick up and downs but no real elevation. So even though I will probably struggle with the hills, I would like to be able to do a little climbing in order to see some of the views that i see posted on-line. Lived all my life on the east coast so I am not familiar with LA or California and am really looking forward to this short trip.

I will be in LA from Feb 2 thru Feb 9 and I will be staying and working at LAX but am willing to drive on the weekend to hit the trails. I also have been told of a fullerton loop thurs night ride which I would like to hit, so I will bring my lights. I can bring my gear but can't bring my Bike so any info on where to rent a bike and what trails would be best is greatly appreciated. I will also post on the TrailHead Forum when it gets closer to my travel.

For info on trails and riding around memphis, check us out at midsouthtrails.com.

2. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    :welcome: Welcome!

What size bike do you ride?

Don't forget to check out Roscoe's for sandwiches and suds after the Fully Loop ride.

3. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

I ride a medium (17.5") bike. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could loan me a ride, especially for the Fullerton loop because I don't think I can make it from work site to a LBS to rent a bike and then to the ride in time. BTW how long would it take to drive from LAX to Fullerton on a Thursday evening?

I was doing some research and I think I would like to ride either the Golden Eagle Trail or the Big Sycamore Loop in Pt Mugu. Both trails seem to offer a good 3-4 hours of riding with stops and sightseeing. Are these good options?

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I wish I could ride with you but I'm on the disabled list. (torn rotator cuff). My grandson lives in Lyles by Centerville. I got to ride in Pidgeon Forge last July when we were out there. I love the ridng in the smokies. The fully loop is a fun urban type ride but in no way would we call it a mountain bike ride.

Heading south from the LAX area to the Fully Loop would be about 1 to 2 hours depending on traffic. Thursdays can be tough. You'll probably find some one here willing to show you Sycamore.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy our trails as much as I enjoyed yours.

5. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

Been busy, finally able to get around into trying to plan for this trip. Called around to some shops (north of LAX) today and no one had any rentals/demos available. One shop did have some specialized demos but the daily rate was a little too high for me. I will keep trying, may have to check out some shops to the south in OC and then ride some trails down in that area. In lieu of Sycamore.

Pain Freak, East TN is totally different from West TN. My wife is from East TN just North of the smokies and I love that area, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is a little touristy, but if you stay right outside of those areas it can be really nice. Across the border into north carolina is also very nice.

Been cold here and I can't keep my feet warm during our rides. Hope the temps are a little warmer in SoCal in February!!

6. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    :welcome: If you find yourself in the Idyllwild area, PM me. I have a bike that would probably fit you. The riding up here is pretty good too, if we aint snowed in:lol:

7. dicky

dicky New Member

RAILROADER
    has it snowed in idyllwild today?

8. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    No, just some rain. the snow was supposed to come down to 6000ft, but it didn't. It probably will next week though.

9. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Your closest trail is Kenter and Whittier Turnbull, the way traffic is around here you'll be hurting for time because traffic will take most of it. Head out to Venice, and Redondo beaches they connect using a flat asphalt trail between the two. The views will be great, you'll see the gray counter culture of Southern California. Have fun welcome to SoCal and STR...,

10. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Pt Mugu is a great choice. Has a little bit of everything and some really fun downhill runs (Backbone). You can rent bikes from Newbury Park Bikes but I'm not certain of the rental rate. I "think" it's $60/day. If you decide you want to check it out, me and my riding buddies would be happy to host a ride.

11. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    :welcome:

Another vote for Sycamore/Pt Mugu. It's pretty much a one stop shop for all levels.

Too bad you aren't here the weekend of Feb. 26th.

12. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

Thanks for all the info, I called Newbury and it looks like they will have what I need. I will call them the week before to reserve a bike for the weekend of Feb 6 and 7.

Plan on riding Sycamore/Pt Mugu one if not both of those days and it would be great to hook up with a few who know the area. I will post when it gets closer.

Now hopefully my trip will not get cancelled, talk of travel restrictions here at work again.

13. Xcdude

Xcdude Member

No work all play.

+1 on that.. I lived in Asheville for a few years and there are some totally way awesome spots..

14. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Don't bother with the Fullerton Loop. It's not worth the time and effort of fighting traffic to ride an urban trail through back yards and city streets.

15. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Cool! Just shoot me a PM with some advance notice and we'll chart out a fun route. In fact, we're riding there this weekend so if it turns out well, we'll just to the same route.

Here's a recent trip to Sycamore that me, Busterb and Brewtal (all from STR) did at the end of Dec. It'll prep you for the fun that's in store :D

[vimeo]8473597[/vimeo]

[vimeo]8726022[/vimeo]

16. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

:welcome: From Los Angeles! Enjoy riding in south California...

17. Adi

Adi Member

Since you're renting a bike out off the 101 freeway, here's a few more rides out in that area in addition to Pt. Mugu/Sycamore Canyon:

Backbone: Corral - Kanan:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?from_top=1&route_id=145

Chesebro Canyon:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?from_top=1&route_id=228

This ones right above Santa Monica in the mountains, goes all they way up to the world famous Mulholland Drive (dirt road section) and puts you back down on another section of Backbone single track:

Farmers - J-Drop - Squirrel Cage:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?from_top=1&route_id=291

All great rides, have fun!

18. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    The route (Los Robles) directly into the hills behind Newbury Park Bikes is one of the most fun trails in the area IMO. Los Robles also recovers a little quicker tham many other routes in that area.

With the weather we're having this week, I can all but guarantee that Golden Eagle will be snowed under for quite some time as will all the other higher elevation trails. This means trails in the Santa Monica mountains (that stretch from Santa Monica to Ventura) will be one of your better bets.

19. gasiorv

gasiorv New Member

I am counting down the days, I will PM a few of you with my cell phone number, etc... when it gets closer. Been raining and extremely muddy here so no riding, I am jones'in to hit some trail and to see california.

20. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

gasiorv, would you share some pictures of some Memphis trails? Midsouthtrails.com has some, but I want to know if you have more. I toyed with the idea of moving there since I'd be able to get a better position with my company, but there is probably a 1% I'd actually do it since there aren't really any mountains there. I'd still love to see pics though if you have them.

Thanks