Hellloooooo ROADIES!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Chaos, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    So, i've had the Roadie Hangout removed from my access/view list [by request] since pretty much it's addition to STR. Never ever thought I would be interested in getting a road bike... but here I am! After getting access back from CalEpic I am doing some research on a few bikes.

I'm going to have a few dollars to spend on this machine, unfortunately and not by choice so I'm looking at more than entry/mid level bikes. I figure I'm going to look like a total poseur for a long while, but I've got to spend the money or lose it. This should be good motivation to ride the thing.

Not looking to race, but more endurance training for mt biking, I could certainly use more endurance :lol:. And I'd also like to do some tri's with my brother-in-law in the future. So looking for something that's fun, fast and comfy... if there is such a thing.

I was at a LBS this weekend, did a parking lot test of a Specialized Tarmac and Roubiax. Nice bikes, I didn't really feel a whole lot of difference in their geometry and comfort but should I have in that short of time. Also got to ride a Colnago CLX 2.0, very nice bike as well. They all felt about the same geo wise. Weights were different but grupos were different as well. Seats were... uncomfortable!

What are other road bikes that I could possibly look at and test ride around Orange County. This is gonna be a radical change for me, i'm expecting and fearing some painful miles to get used to road riding but I'm excite at the same time.

So any suggestions on brands, bikes, setups and training for beginners would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    -Rodel

2. el cap

el cap Active Member

3. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Road riding will definitely help with endurance and it can be quite addicting :lol:.

You wouldn't really notice that much of a difference in comfort from only riding them from the parking lot, but if you took them out on a 20+ mile ride you would feel the difference. I test rode a Roubaix first and then a Tarmac. I liked them both but the Roubaix ended up being a little more comfortable I think mainly due to the Zertz inserts which really help soak up the vibrations nicely.

I would probably test ride several different brands of bikes and see which one you really like the best. Unless you know that you want a certain brand for whatever reason.

One very important thing for road riding is getting your bike properly fit. It will make a huge difference in the comfort and minimizing injury departments. Another recommendation is try getting a bike with at least the Shimano 105 groupset on it (or SRAM Rival).

As for the seats, it just takes some getting use too with hours in the saddle. Also, if you go to RnR, they have a device that will measure your sit bone width and based on that, you'll know if you should be riding a 130, 143, or 155 mm saddle.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or post here and I'll do my best to help you out.

4. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    I ride a Tarmac and love it. My sister rides a Cannondale Synapse and I gave it a spin and it felt REALLY comfy. If you are considering hooking tri bars on the bike you might like Kestrel or Kuota (sp?) Surf City in HB and Costa Mesa have some incredible bikes and the staff are quite knowledgeable. Welcome to the Dark Side (it really is :lol:) Your mtb riding will improve exponentially.

5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Trek Madone 5.2 that I got on frame closeout in May 2009 and have 10k+ miles on it and multiple 10-12 hr days doing upwards of 200 miles on it...long distance road riding requires a different saddle than mtn. bikes unless you do 12-hr type stuff on both...I second the comfort on the Roubaix, but at the price point I was at, I would have had to add $500 to swap out the carbon fiber bar with an aluminum one so I could clamp aero bars to it to give me a better position on longer rides (at least for me anyway).

Focus on the frame, just like a mt. bike. Parts will break and wear out over time. I'd go with a 105 level group or the equivalent SRAM...if stuff breaks or if you become a weight weenie, you can always replace with the higher level component group. Same goes for wheels...start with durability, and upgrade for weight and speed if you want it later on.

+1 on getting fit properly...nothing ruins a good road bike faster than a poor fit.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Check out Felt....you can usually get a nicely spec'd bike for less than what you would pay for a equal spec'd Specialized or Trek.

I agree with the above.....make sure you go 105/Rival or above, these will all be 10 spd.....anything below that is 9 spd.

I would recomend a carbon frame, but that will depend on budget. At the very least go for a aluminum frame with carbon seatstays. Avoid at all aluminum frame if possible.

7. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    Fitting: I will try to get fitted sometime this week.

Budget: It's going to replace 1 of my 3 Turners that were stolen, so budget is pretty open[high]...

Carbon Frame: yes it will be carbon for sure.

Groupo: on my mt bikes it's SRAM, but for the road bike i could go either way.

What's an aero bar?

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Think triathalon bars.

[​IMG]

Personally I have run Shimano 105 and Dura Ace. I am however, wanting to change over to run SRAM Red. The few bikes I have tested with them on in, have been really nice.

9. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

Two Wheels One Planet is running our twice annual supersale. Tomorrow (Monday) is the last day. '09 bikes are now at closeout and '10 models are discounted as well. A Roubaix is a more relaxed fit like the Giant Defy or Look 566. A Tarmac would be comparable to a Giant TCR or any traditional geometry/race oriented frame. We also carry Trek which I consider to be a great all arounder. Kind of in between as far as the ride, though it is offered in two different fits (performance and pro). Of course we also offer fitting with all of the bikes as well as service. Give us a holler tomorrow and check out the deals.

10. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    you could also look into the giant TCR or scott.

11. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    see you this afternoon, my daughter's daycare is just down the street from you.

Anyone riding a Trek Madone? Thoughts? [doh thanks MnMDan]
    Lots of nice bikes on the market...

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Rodel, you lucky dawg!

I've been riding a TCR since 2000 and love it (I've got over 50,000 miles on it) very little has had to be replaced in all that time. If it had, it was because I got upgradeititus. I go along with 105/Rival or better. Your budget can get you a really nice bike. I've been in love with the S-works Roubaix for the last 3 years after I demo'ed one in Iowa. I rode it 75 miles that day and have wanted one ever since. You can get more bang for your buck though with the Felts, Scotts, Giants and a few others. Once you start logging miles you'd see a difference between the Tarmac and the Roubaix. I'd rather go with the Roubaix type but if you're going to get serious about Tri's you'd be better off with racing type geometery. On longer distance rides (which I prefer) you'll want something a little more upright. These styles are similar but are noticeable so you'll have to decide. I do see a lot of bikes in tri's that are not of a racing type though.

13. tradersancho

tradersancho New Member

Software Engineer
    if you are a heavier rider, or ride in really hilly areas you should consider a compact crankset. (50/34 Teeth instead of 53/39).

14. hawkesworthm

hawkesworthm New Member

ACM
    Well since no one has mentioned them, I love my Cannondale frame. The 2010 Six frame is all carbon and if your budget allows the Supersix is also all Carbon. The Supersix is more race oriented, but I know at least two people that ride them in triathalons with aerobars without a problem.

I also second the comment about the compact crankset. Coming from a typical triple set up on a mountain bike to a compact road set will feel much more comfortable from my experience. Plus, regardless of what many roadies might tell you, running out of gear on a 50-11 set-up rarely happens unless you are doing some really high speeds.

Matt

15. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

To further hawkesworthm's point on gearing...

I only spinout my 53-12 going downhill at 40+ mph, at which point you're going too fast for stable pedaling anyway...and with compact gearing, a 50-11 is faster than a 53-12.

Oh, and unless you're doing crit sprints, downwind, (like @ LAX where Cat 5 dudes were passing me...I clocked 37mph before my legs blew up with 200 yards to go) then you'll never really ride that 11 or 12 cog unless you're grinding it.

Compact will also make you feel better on some of those road climbs where its better to tempo and save you're heart rate than try to sprint up it.

16. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I loved my Scott and Colnago. Both with compact cranks; I've rarelly been spun out, and I've even raced with it. My bikes are a bit stiffer, though I don't find them terribly uncomfortable for longer rides. The Scott held up well, even through a few crashes (it was the bike I had for the YouTube crash--no cracks or dings, I even raced on it after that).

John had a Look, Storck, now a Leopard. He loves all of his bikes. I think the Storck was his fave, as it was a great climbing bike (stiff in the back end). The Look was more like his comfy bike. If not for the guy falling on the Storck during a race, breaking it in two, John would have sold the Look and kept the Storck.

You got a tailwind to the finish? You lucky bastid! I do have to admit that when I sprint over 37, I am a bit spun out.

17. Pilas

Pilas Member

Go for the Colnago. That is some serious biking pedigree.
    I have always dreamed of owning one.
    In the meantime, I'm stuck with my old Trek 5200...

18. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

These days you can't really buy a "bad" bike. Everyone's carbon offerings are solid, you can however buy the wrong bike. common first time buyer mistakes.

1. Wrong size
    2. Geometry not quite right for your body type. You can do a hell of a lot with stem length, seatpost setback and bar dimensions, but it's not ideal.
    3. Spending too much on a first bike. The difference in performance between a $2500.00 and $6500.00 bike are almost imperceptible, if you want to splurge buy a nice set of wheels. Ultegra/SRAM Force are awesome groups and are what you should be looking at.

19. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Rodel,
    How bout this one?
    [​IMG]

Only 18,000.00

Javalin Cortina

20. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    I hear you on this... before my predicament I was looking to get an entry level road bike, on closeout... but now I am kinda forced to spend the money, if I don't I will lose a lot of coin that I'm entitled to from my insurance company.

If road riding doesn't agree with me, someone is going to get a screaming deal on a really good bike, but I'm really hopeful it will.

yeah right, budget isn't that high :lol:
    That's a beautiful bike though!
    I really like the Pinarello Dogma and Prince Carbon but they are out of my price range I couldn't to those bikes justice.

Looked at the Trek Madone and Giant TCR yesterday afternoon at Two Wheel One Planet. Very nice stuff to. The Project One stuff for the customized Madones are sweet. Didn't get a chance to ride them as I had my daughter with me, will have to wait on test rides til after it rains [if it rains].

The Colnago had an Ultegra gruppo and the price point was amazing... still had room in the budget to upgrade wheels and the gruppo, I keep thinking about that bike...
    concerned though about the 2yr warranty vs the lifetime with Specialized, Trek and Giant[?]..