Hell Ride 2011 - November 5th!!!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by russell, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    Thanks for the info Russell. We will preride the course on the 29th and signup if we're comfortable that we won't hold up the group ride.

2. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    All I know is 42 people have signed up, that is a big fricken group for a long ride!

3. Jeepdude

Jeepdude Member

I agree that it is a large group, but the way it is managed keeps it moving well.

Typically, there will be a few groups that run the trail...a fast group in the front that keeps a pretty good pace, and then slower groups behind. At the typical bailout points, if there are a number of riders who want to bail out, there is usually someone there to take that groupand show them the way...I say typically and Russell will have to comment if that is still the case this year.

I can say that I look forward to this ride all year long. You really have to be mentally prepared for it...especially for the grind up to Morton's peak (for me anyways). Already being so tired and looking at that long climb is tough, but you just press on...eventually you get to the top. when you are done, it is a cool feeling to see what you accomplished.

4. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Agreed, we have had 40+ on multiple rides and I think that we do a good job of keeping things moving. We usually break into 4 or more smaller groups to let each group ride at their own pace. This year will be no different. If we get a lot more than 40 this year then we will likely just break into more groups. The faster groups this year will all likely do the extra credit through the Boy Scout camp so that should keep things interesting for those folks as well. Hope you can make it!

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Pato, you'd be able to handle this ride. The ride itself doesn't have any real long sustained climbs but the accumulation of all the ups and downs will wear on some people. I've done this ride a few times now and it always seem we get a few that get in over their heads. The ride should just be considered a long ride (think 6 hours plus of saddle time) I don't think of it as a overly hard ride. I believe that some can pass on the climb up to Morton Peak and that'd help for those feeling it to much. Make sure they all have enough nutrition and hydration and if they have a moderate level of fitness they should do fine.

6. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    Thanks PF. THAT's the part I'm worried about. I'm REALLY out of shape. Never was in good shape to begin with now I'm worse than ever. Trying to get in as many rides as possible between now and then. We'll see how long it takes us on the preride. 6+ hours of saddle time sounds quite intimidating. You know me. I like to take a 20 minute break for every ten minutes of riding. :lol:

7. kanga

kanga Active Member

I was at last year's ride and had a great time. I'll be there again this year, and looking forward to the extra credit SD section.

8. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    hell ride nov 5th

anyone interested in carpooling to the Hell ride on nov 5th? send me a message

9. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
    I may be. I can pitch in for gas, how long is the drive?

10. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    Thinking about doing this ride also. I live in Redlands and just wondering if I rode over to Uncle Howies if I could catch a ride with someone up the hill. Just don't want to deal with shuttling a car.

11. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    I am sure we can get you up the hill. Get there early and you should have no problems finding a ride up.

12. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    We had some discussions this evening about exactly who we will be able to take up to the Boy Scout camp for the extra credit. This is going to be about 1000 extra feet of climbing and at least 6-8 more miles of length. For this reason (due to time constraints) we are only going to take the first 2-3 groups of people up to the camp. So, if you are really wanting to do this extra credit please try to be in the first few groups on the ride.

Don't worry though, if you really want to ride this you can come to the Super D event we are planning for the spring!

13. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Tahquitz Boy Scout Camp Mountain Bike Park ? huh ? can somebody please tell me more about the 5 miles of new ST ?

14. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Al, the other guy that has been helping me to organize this ride has been working with them to build some new trails at their camp. I still have not had a chance to get up there to see them myself so I can't really tell you what they are like.

What I do know, is that they have build a Super D trail and an xc loop. On Hellride the groups that head up there will be doing a short section of the xc loop and the Super D. I will be leading one of the slower groups so my group will not be heading up there. If you area really interested, talk to Al in the morning and he can tell you all about it.

15. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
  16. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    This saturday!!!

Hi Everyone,

I hope that everyone is getting excited to ride this weekend.

For those of you not familiar with the ride I made an explorer presentation to guide you through this wonderful ride.
    http://explorer.arcgis.com/?present=209b060b6e7444fe8263f3ac9c413bb2 (press the space bar to go through the presentation).

I would like to solicit one more time for anyone who has a significant other that might be able to drive cars back down. If you know anyone, please bring them in the morning. There will be people coming from out of town that will need people to drive their cars back down so the more help we can get here the better.

The plan is to get moving from Uncle Howies around 7:30am and get to the trail and moving around 8:30am. I am not keeping a list of everyone coming so if you do show up late I cannot guarantee that we will still be there. I implore to please show up early so that we can try to finish “on time” (we will be holding a raffle at the end of the ride and want everyone there for it).

With respect to the raffle, our good friends at Intense Cycles just donated an M6 Downhill frame for the raffle!
    IntenseM6StealthBlack.jpg
    We are still working on getting more prizes for the raffle but whatever we have they will be worth sticking around for (if the beer and pizza is not enough).

I will be posting again later this week with more info on what to bring and any last minute details I can think of. Right now the plan is to have some water and food at the Angelus Oaks post office/restaurant so that we can replenish our supplies for the rest of the ride. I am looking forward to seeing everyone out there this weekend.

Getting There:
    Though we’ll likely be travelling in a pack up to South Fork, in case anyone gets lost, here is a link to directions on how to get there. It’s pretty straightforward.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...123174,-117.000275&spn=0.391078,0.617294&z=11

For Uncle Howies, the directions are below.

The address to Uncle Howies is:
    800 E Lugonia Ave, Redlands, CA 92374-2550

Here are directions if you are travelling east on I-10:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....06777,-117.198801&spn=0.025276,0.038581&z=15

Here are directions if you are heading West on I-10:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...056997,-117.168245&spn=0.050559,0.077162&z=14

Here are directions from the 210:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...082237,-117.073059&spn=0.808687,1.234589&z=10

Let me know if you have any questions,

Russell

17. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

Russell, thanks for all the work you put into this ride. It is a huge chore and really appreciated!

18. irsean

irsean New Member

fiber optic network technician
    Home Page:
    Sorry, I'm working.

19. stripes

stripes New Member

live in LA and would love to do this ride. Anyone with empty shuttle seats?

20. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Apparently there was some confusion on start times. We will be meeting at UNCLE HOWIES in REDLANDS at 7:30am. NOT at Southfork. Let me know if you have any questions about start times.

Can anyone offer Stripes a ride from LA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.