Hell Ride 2011 - November 5th!!!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by russell, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    History: If you are new to this event, then here's a little background. Every fall a bunch of folks from Esri (a local mapping software company in Redlands) and Don's Bikes get together to put on this ride. The ride covers over 30 miles of single track heaven that takes you from the top of the SART (Santa Ana River Trail) all the way back to Redlands.

The ride is a point to point shuttle of SART beginning at South Fork campground and ending at Uncle Howies Pizza in Redlands. This is a great way for people not familiar with this trail to see almost the entire trail in one day. Especially cool is the lesser known portions below Angelus Oaks.

Its going to be a really fun ride and will be more 'hellish' for some than others. Its typically about 36 miles 2450 feet of climbing and will take the better part of the day. Last year the last riders arrived about 6 or 7 hours after we all started. We will break into groups based on rider speed and to try to keep the flow for all riders.

DIFFICULTY:
    THIS IS NOT A BEGINNER RIDE. We want this to be fun but there is a lot of climbing and exposure. Many intermediate riders will find this to be tough. We had some issues the last few years with people bringing beginner friends with them on the ride and then leaving their friends behind. The beginner friends had a miserable time and were out of gas in the first quarter mile, we really want to avoid this sort of thing. There are a few variations on the route in case people get tired but the shortest route will still be somewhere around 20 miles and 1800 feet of climbing.

Bonus: This year we are adding an optional SuperD loop for riders who want a little extra climbing and descending. The loop starts mid-way along the SART and takes you up Glass Road to the Tahquitz Boy Scout Camp Mountain Bike Park. Here you will ride 5 miles of brand new single track back down to the SART where you'll have to catch up with the rest of the group. This extra loop is not for slow riders!

PLEASE NOTE: We have a special permit to access the park for Hell Ride only, so please do not access the park at any other time without authorization.

Date:
    November 5, 2011.
    We will meet in Redlands at Uncle Howies around 7:30 am and try to be at South Fork and moving around 8:30 am.

Route:
    View on Garmin Connect
    View with Google Earth

SHUTTLES (VERY IMPORTANT INFO):
    The last few years we have tried to coordinate shuttles. This year will be no different. We are going to assume that everyone has a ride to Southfork and has someone to drive them back to the top to get their vehicle.

We are asking that if anyone has any extra room in their vehicle to please show up in the morning so we can minimize the number of shuttle drivers needed. We would like to get as many bikes/bodies into vehicles at the bottom so that fewer people need to drive back up to the top. It is an hour and a half return trip from Redlands and we will have some people that have offered to drive vehicles back down to Uncle Howies, so if anyone is comfortable with this, this may be an option for you. For people that do not have a ride up or a driver to drive their car back please contact me or reply in this thread and we will help to get you sorted out.

So what does all this shuttle info mean for you.
    1. Please show up at Uncle Howies in the morning if you are driving and have more room.
    2. Please let me know if you cannot find someone to shuttle you back to your car after the ride we may be able to find a driver for you so that you can enjoy food and drink as soon as you are done the ride.
    3. Please let me know if you need a ride either to Redlands or up the hill.

RSVP: This is not an STR only event and to try to get a more accurate head count we are asking that RSVPs are done through Facebook . Please only RSVP to the STR calendar if you do not have a Facebook account.

Bike For Bender:
    This year's ride is dedicated to our friend Rob Bender who we lost last year to cancer.

Rob was a pro-level XC and DH mountain bike rider, a strong supporter of the mountain bike community (and the Hell Ride), and just an all-around great guy. He's well known for the jumps he built at Hulda Crooks in Loma Linda that very few of us have ever conquered.

The goal of the fund is to support fellow fallen riders, help less fortunate children get access to bikes, maintain our local trails, and support future cancer research

So come on out for a great ride and for a great cause!

If you know anyone who might be interested in donating prizes or making donations, please let us know.

If you have any questions about shuttles or any of the logistics please reply to this thread.

2. Jeepdude

Jeepdude Member

Dude...thanks for putting this on again this year. It is always a blast.

I am not sure I will be able to make it with the fall I took yesterday...but I am going to try! If not the whole thing at least part of it.

If I can't ride, I will at least help out with any of the supporting roles that need to be done.

Bryan

3. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Hell yeah,

Me and Kyle M are in.

364.jpg

4. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Bummer... will be out of town! Looks like a blast.

5. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    If you know anyone that can drive shuttle vehicles that would be a huge help too. Hope you heal up quick.

6. Yardsale

Yardsale New Member

Yeah, looking forward to it! Great ride last year. I'll have my truck with a shuttle pad and someone can throw a rack on there so we can get probably about 8-10 bikes on it.

7. BIO

BIO New Member

Was there last year and im ready for this year longest ride (a least for me). I just need to start riding again withing a couple weeks after a looong period of resting (broken collar bone) so I can keep up with the last guys and don't be dropped :p

8. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I'm interested for sure. I was sick last year and couldn't go. Looking forward to it! fall colors on SART! YAY!!

9. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Very intrested in this. What is it like compared to the Palm Canyon Epic ride which is also 30 miles and has 2k up and 6k down. Exposure, difficulty comparison? (less cactus :))

10. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Hmm, I have not done the Palm Canyon Epic ride. This ride is not really technical the difficulty is mostly in exposure in a few sections. There will be bailout options at about 1800feet of climbing for those that are too tired to continue on. I would venture a guess and say that there is going to be less cactus for sure. The last 5 or 6 miles is downhill (about 1% grade) on pavement just to get back to the meeting point.

Has anyone done this ride and the Palm Canyon Epic?

11. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I've done both the SART from South Fork to Redlands and the Pam Canyon Epic multiple times. I am always more tired after the Palm Canyon Epic, so I would say that it's harder. But I don't think there's a huge difference in the difficulty. Certainly no having to slog up the sand wash on the PCE would make the Hell Ride more pleasurable for a lot of people.

And I'm hoping to make the ride, but my wife will be in her last month of pregnancy so I might get vetoed.

~R

12. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    OK I am in, especailly since i will have a better bike now then when i did the PCE ride and be in better shape.

13. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Good times.

Video from last year.

[youtube]EkIcnqL-duw&feature=related[/youtube]

14. 1singletrackmind

1singletrackmind Lifetime Member EFR Krewe

I would like to participate, shuttle and make a donation

15. Radical Rich

Radical Rich New Member

Surgical RN
    Well, if Gabe's in...then I'm in too!

16. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Hey everyone, we are looking to get some T-shirts or bike jerseys made for this event. We are wondering who would be interested at $20/shirt.

Both shirts would be red.

Front will be the Bike for Bender logo:
    B4B logo.jpg

Back will be the same logo with some text about the 20th Anniversary of Hellride.

The shirts would either be a moisture wicking microfiber or cotton. Both the jersey and t-shirt would be the same color and style (red and loose fitting).

Please reply to this post and let us know if you would be interested and if you have a preference in material type. We would like to get the microfiber but if we don't get much interest we will probably go with cotton because it is a little bit less expensive.

17. rich2k

rich2k Member

Russell count me in for a XL microfiber. I plan on being there for the ride!

18. Sherpa DRider

Sherpa DRider One finger tappy tap!

Architect
    I would be interested in a medium poly microfiber shirt. I'd pay up to $25 if it included a free raffle ticket....just sayin. :)

19. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    I'd go for a microfiber jersey/t-shirt for $20. XL

20. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I'll take one for the hubby - microfiber PLEASE!!! Let us know if you need it prepaid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.