Head's up on the STT

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I was up there today...noticed your handy work...thanks

If you are taking about the barricade that was cut out 2/3rds the way up to old camp it still is the same.

2. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Here is a 'Driving Map' for the Trabuco Ranger District. It shows all the roads in the District that can legally be driven on.

This would be your best reference guide to use to see if the road you're thinking of driving on is open to motorized vehicles. (The problem with relying on signs or locked gates is that they are subject to vandalism.)

Remember, if you don't see it on the map, it is not legal to drive on.

Attached Files:

3. timber725

timber725 New Member

would like to be pro MTBer
    Are you going to be working on these trails anymore? If so, let us know... I'd like to lend some helping hands...

4. Pedalboy

Pedalboy Warrior's Society Member

Jim,

Your tireless efforts cannot be thanked enough. Without your work, the trail would not be open. It is too bad that common sense has left some people, and forces you to take drastic measures.

Treve

5. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks guys,

I may have invented a new type of triathlon. Time trial up the STT for an hour, swing a pick for 45 minutes, then descend the STT and the Luge before dark. Or maybe thats a duathlon... Still, works pretty good as cross training.

I hope my latest excavation encourages drivers to turn around earlier on their illegal jaunts.

Please be aware that the 'guide rocks' and branches I've placed on the trail above the hole are periodically removed and thrown over the side. This creates a hazard for riders by the same people who necessitated the digging of the hole in the first place.

I will post a trail work day on the calendar as soon as I know my schedule for the next couple weeks. It would be good to make some improvements, and I'd welcome the help.

Jim

6. kioti

kioti Active Member

Anyone have any particular projects you think might improve the STT? I've got some things in mind, but I'd like to hear your ideas...

7. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

Any way we can add brush to the beginning of the ride like the top section to allow the trail to go back to single track? I noticed the forest service had some big trucks on the road a week ago so maybe that cannot happen. It would be great to get the trail skinny again.

Other than that I think it is looking great and I appreciate all the hard work you have put in.

8. kioti

kioti Active Member

Having the trail revert is single track is one of the main reasons I dug that ditch. 4X4s and quads were killing off all the new growth and keeping the trail wide.

If you are referring to the first mile or so past the gate on Modjeska Grade, I don't know if I have the authority to work there. Past the barricade with the newly installed step-over, the trail turns to dedicated National Forest and thats where I'm permitted to do trail work (or lead work parties).

I haven't done any actual planting, but I have scattered rocks and debris on one lane of a double-track and let Nature takes its course. Riders have been great about staying on the clearest path, and the results show in the re-growth on the Luge and parts of the STT, especially that nice section on the STT about a mile or two past the flag.

The brush that was laid on the trail on the final climb to the clearing above Old Camp was left over from the bulldozing during the fire. I believe it was the Hot Shots who laid it out to turn the graded section back into single track, like you said.

I'll check on that first section, and see if we have any options.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Jim

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

I like skinny trails, too, and apparently I am allowed to work on that part of the trail. But since there's a gate on it, I expect authorized vehicles will continue to re-establish the double track.

Once past the step-over, though, things should be good almost all the way to Joplin Truck Trail, and from the top of Cadillac to Old Camp.

I asked about the brush on the upper part of the trail and was told it was placed there to return the trail to single track while also helping it re-seed. Maybe that'll speed up the return of the canopy and those tunnels of brush.

10. MRB

MRB All Ride

bike shop owner
    Wood playground and dirt jump paradise,CA
    Rode to Old Camp 6 months before the fire. Rad singletrack tight canopy like we all remember. Thanks for all the work kioti.

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

There was a landslide that occurred recently on Cadillac (Trabuco Drop), the dirt road illegal vehicles were using to access the STT. This should prevent the ongoing damage they were doing to the trail.

Photos on the "SUV on the STT" thread.

12. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Landslide huh?, must of been a pesky flash flood, those acts of nature sure can be tough for the 4 wheelers....;)