Head's up on the STT

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Vandit

Vandit I like to ride

Nice stuff! But how deep is that ditch? I don't think that ditch alone would keep serious 4x4ers out, but it would defenitely repel a lot of the teenagers looking for some wekend fun.

Maybe fill the ditch with caltrops... or lava... :-k

2. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Hey Jim,

Thanks for all the hard work out there. I have wanted to contact you several times to get out there and help you, but I'm so damn busy with my classes coming to an end and having a ton of project. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there this summer/fall and help out some more.

3. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Right now the ditch is about 2+ feet deep. You're probably right about serious off-roaders being able to get through there, but it should at least slow some of the more casual drivers down. Or make them work if they manage to get stuck in it.

If you ride out there, post your opinion once you've seen it. I'd like to know what you think. I can certainly make the ditch deeper.

4. Vandit

Vandit I like to ride

If there is extra dirt from the ditch, you could pile it up before and/or after the ditch then pour some water on it to hard it up...

5. kioti

kioti Active Member

I thought about that, but didn't want to leave a lot of dirt above the ditch, since it could be pushed into the hole to make it shallower.

My goal is to discourage 4-wheelers while at the same time improving the trail for mountain bikers (and other legal users). And I don't want to create too much of a hazard for anybody, whether they belong there or not.

Hopefully, the pipe barricade will be welded back together and we can focus on simply improving the trail for riding. There are some things I want to do farther up toward Old Camp, so at least my tools are heading in the right direction.

I appreciate the suggestions, and look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've taken a look at it. If it needs more work, I'll do it next week. If its good-to-go, I'll head uptrail and have some 'real' fun.

6. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Jim, do you know if the FS will repair those barricades that near Rose Canyon and the other going towards Old Camp. Those have been down since the closures and they do know about them. Thanks for your continued hard work. There is one section on the Luge itself that could use a nice berm. I'll call you soon and we can discuss it. Sorry I haven't been available to lend a hand lately, but I've been doing some trail work in the Santa Ana's. I believe we are now done for the season. Thank God, time to ride! :clap:

7. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks, Gene. I believe the FS plans to repair the barricades (and install step-overs) sometime by early June. I sure hope so because I prefer focusing on erosion issues and improving turns for riders. I'm interested in hearing your idea for the Luge. I rode it on my way out of there last night and I'm pretty happy with its present condition. But I can think of one place for sure I'd like to berm up, and wonder if that's what you're talking about.

I know you've had a busy winter (to say the least), but look forward to working with you anytime. One of the reasons I did this last project is to protect work we did during the fire closure. Those areas held up well to the excess run-off after the fire, but not so well to truck tires.

The trail to Old Camp is recovering well from the bulldozing, but I miss the old technical areas (and of course the brush tunnels). There are definitely some things I want to work on out there, if the ground isn't too dry.

8. kioti

kioti Active Member

I rode out to Old Camp last night and there were new truck tire tracks down to the narrowed spot. Rocks and branches I'd used to divert riders from the ditch had been thrown off the trail, and there was a big "FU" scrawled in the bottom of the ditch.

Whoever had driven down there did not attempt to get past the ditch, so I guess its at least a temporary success.

I sent a report to the Forest Service, and reiterated the need for the barricade to be repaired. If that isn't going to be done soon, I'll probably do some more narrowing above the current spot.

BTW, thank you to the STR member who offered to drive up and re-weld the barricade on his own. I passed this offer on to the Forest Service, to see if they're open to that idea.

As previously mentioned, any work done on Forest Service trails needs to be done with FS approval. Hopefully, they'll get that barricade in place, and the trail will be protected.

9. bikerider

bikerider New Member

I rode STT last Thursday and saw a Honda 230 plated motorcycle. It was headed towards the Luge from Old Camp. He must have turned around before he got to the luge and passed going back towards the trail down to Trabuco wash. Next time I will get his plate number.

10. Permagrin

Permagrin Hard landing comin' up!

We saw a grey Cherokee up there last night on the way to OC about 1/2 way up from the Flag. 3 guys and a girl hanging out, walking around.

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Well, looks like I'll need to start patrolling again up there and call dispatch as soon as I see a vehicle. Maybe I can get the FS to make signs stating that the area is a NON-Motorized area.

Jim, maybe we can set up a meeting with Debra or Tony to see about closing off Cadillac which seems to be the way they in.

12. Rollnstone

Rollnstone ...

I was riding behind you and when I saw this Moto I flagged him down. Told him he was riding illegally and he pleaded innocence, like he didn't know any better. He wanted to know if there was an outlet going down the hill. I told him it was all blocked off and he needed to go back the way he came. He must have gone down Joplin because I didn't see any tire tracks past the Joplin turn-off going up to Old Camp. I tried to remember his plate number, but I can hardly remember what gear combination I am riding in, let alone that many numbers on his license plate.

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

The best way to keep vehicles out of there will be a big gate and barricade at the bottom of Cadillac, and re-building of the barricades on the STT.

Let the U.S. Forest Service know your concerns by calling the Trabuco Ranger District in Corona.

14. TooTech

TooTech Member

env. consultant
    I have a question. At the entry point to this area of concern, is it posted for non-motorized use only?

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Yes posted and they have to go around the gate, thru the bushes, to get around the gate at the bottom of Cadillac. Also some of the welded metal barriers on the Main Divide have been ripped out of the ground by 4x4's.

Dean

16. TooTech

TooTech Member

env. consultant
    Just wondering as with trail concerns with MTBers, there is a growing movement for eco-friendly wheelin'.

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

What is eco-friendly wheelin'?

If it involves motorized vehicles, drivers can contact the Forest Service for "Driving Maps" of the Cleveland National Forest. The maps show the roads in the Trabuco Ranger District where it is legal to drive motorized vehicles. These vehicles need to be street legal, and typically can be driven (or ride) on select, graded dirt roads like Maple Springs Road or the North Main Divide, unless the gates are locked and there is a closure in place. These roads can be closed due to wet, icy or otherwise hazardous conditions, or due to high fire danger.

Off-highway vehicles are not allowed on these "Forest Roads," but can be driven in designated areas like Wildomar OHV Area.

18. tortoise

tortoise Member

Saw two motos yesterday at around 5:00pm coming down STT. I think they saw me coming and turned around.

19. TooTech

TooTech Member

env. consultant
    I meant street legal built rigs with plates. Eco-friendly meaning attempting to keep the trails in good condition and obeying closures.

20. kioti

kioti Active Member

I was up on the STT just before dark tonight, tossing a ball for my dog, and noticed some big tire tracks.

I followed them to the first barricade near the top of Modjeska Grade, and saw that the Forest Service (Hot Shots, I think) had welded in a step-over. That should help keep us old guys from slipping a disk on the way to the Luge.

Anybody know if that upper barricade (near Cadillac) has been replaced?