Head's up on the STT

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Apr 28, 2009.

1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    As many of you know, I have been doing a lot of trail work on the Luge and the Santiago (Truck) Trail since the Santiago Fire of '07. There has been a ongoing problem of people driving their vehicles up from Trabuco Creek and all the way to the top of the Luge, and occasionally all the way to the barricade near Modjeska Grade Road.

This is despite the potential of a $5,000 fine, and no shortage of closure signs.

I have several problems with this. First is that during fire season, there is the potential for starting another fire in the dry brush. This would be devastating because the ecosystem will never fully recover if subjected to frequent man-made fires.

Next is that the STT is supposed to be reverting to singletrack, and that can't happen if 4-wheel drives and motorcycles continue to kill all the brush that is slowly narrowing the trail.

And finally, I am tired of repairing the same areas over and over that I, and others, have spent our time fixing-- all with hand tools that we have carried up there. It's amazing how much damage a single vehicle can do when it's spinning it's tires on loose rock, or cutting through a berm.

Anyway, this is a long way of saying that I am in the process of making the STT as impassable to 4-wheel drive vehicles as possible, while keeping it open for mountain bikes, hikers and equestrians.

So HEAD'S UP! The trail is being narrowed to a width of about FOUR FEET in the area about a mile and a half past the top of the Luge. I am doing this as a Forest Service volunteer, and with the permission of the USFS.

Expect to see changes on the trail, and do not take it for granted that it will be the same as it was the last time you rode it.

Thank you,

Jim Jennings (aka kioti)

2. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Good stuff. Will you be posting up the days you are working so we can help?

3. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks for the offer-- I can always use an extra hand or two.

Believe or not, a Jeep Cherokee came rolling up tonight while I was working. I told them the area was closed to motor vehicles and they would have to back up and leave.

I don't know if it was the pick I was holding, or the fact that I'd chopped a big hole in the side of the trail-- but they actually backed up and left.

Just so we're clear, we can't actually work on the trails in the National Forest without Forest Service approval. But I've got it and you're welcome to help me.

I'll probably go out there tomorrow afternoon. If that works for you, send me a PM or just post it here, and we'll set it up.

4. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Are you always working locally? Do you work on weekends?

5. kioti

kioti Active Member

I do most of my trail work on the Luge and the STT. I was sort of motoring down for the summer, since trail work holds up better around here when the soil is damp.

Then I saw 4X4 tire tracks cutting through some work a bunch of us did about a month ago, and I didn't want to see it get thrashed...

I might put something together on a weekend in mid-May if there's still a problem. I'll post it on the calendar and see if we can get a group together.

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Thanks for all the hard work you've put in. I know I've enjoyed the fruits of your labor.

7. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

Stt

Thanks Jim
    I know it is hard work, and we appreciate all that you do. Having helped in the past, I know how hard this trailwork really is. Good seeing you yesterday....hope you got out of the hole :-k.

8. kioti

kioti Active Member

I did get out of that hole... but for some reason I keep digging new ones!?!

Actually, it seems like a privilege to be able to help keep these trails in decent shape. And I really appreciate the work that's been done by you and your friends, and others, from the (mostly) mountain bike community.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say there are at least 40 people who have volunteered their time to keep the Luge and the STT in good condition since the fire. Some of them are Warriors, some work with SHARE, and others are just local riders who care about these trails.

As mentioned, I'll be heading back up there this afternoon. Anyone who wants to help can meet me at "the flag" at 4:30, or find me about a mile and a half farther up the STT towards Old Camp. I'll work on the trail until about 7:00.

9. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    maybe you can post a picture of a before and after of what you are doing? that would be a big help.

10. kioti

kioti Active Member

Good idea. I just got my camera back from Nikon. Warranty repair-- too much dirt :)

I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight.

11. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I may be riding the luge later what time are you going to be working on it?

12. commplex

commplex SSuper SSlacker

Insurance Agent
    Funny you mention vehicles

Justin and I were riding up to old camp about 6 weeks ago and we ran into a truck full of dudes that looked completely lost. Thank you for your efforts with the trails.

13. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    Was riding STT out to Old Camp last Saturday, and noticed all the recent work. Thanks for all your hard work, it is really appreciated! I'll look for your post for the next trail work day on STT!

14. kioti

kioti Active Member

I'm actually working on a spot that's on the STT about a mile and a half past the top of the Luge (not the Luge itself).

I plan to be at the "flag" at 4:30, then continue up the STT toward Old Camp for about 15=20 minutes. The spot I'm working on is about halfway between the top of the Luge and the pipe barricade that got torn out.

Lend a hand if you can, or watch the calendar for the next workday.

Thanks,

Jim (aka kioti)

15. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

What about motorcycles ? about a month ago I ran in to 3 guys on KTM induros that came up that same trail , I asked them what they we're doing and one guy told me they're looking for a trail that leads them to Live Oak road , I told them I didn't know of one .they just rode on . is their any way to stop them . P.S wish I had a pick .

16. kioti

kioti Active Member

Yeah, wasn't it Teddy Roosevelt who said, "Ride softly, and carry a big pick?"

Hopefully, the USFS will be putting the pipe barricade near the top of Cadillac back together and installing step-overs-- I assume something like at the bottom of the Trabuco Trail. I've heard that could happen by sometime in early summer.

But motorcycles are pretty tough to keep off trails. I was at the top of Lower Holy Jim a couple weeks ago, and two guys tried to ride their dirt bikes up(!) Upper Holy Jim. They didn't get very far, and had to walk their bikes back down, one bike at a time. It was interesting to watch.

I've seen them on the Luge, too, but it was worse when somebody tried to drive their quad up it.

Usually, when I see people with motors in places they don't belong, I just inform them that they're subject to a $5,000 fine, and that they're causing damage to the trails. I've had the best results with being calm, reasonable and informative. It's never worth it to get in a fight out there.

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

DSCN0772.jpg

I went back up this afternoon, did some more work and took some pictures. I'd say I'm about halfway through the project, but I tried to leave it rideable and well marked.

My goal is to have a 3 to 4 foot trail to ride on, with a drop-off on the downhill side. Time will tell if it keeps the trucks out. Hopefully, it will discourage some of the 4X's, to keep them from tearing things up farther down trail.

18. kioti

kioti Active Member

I want to say "thank you" to all of you who "thanked" me. I really appreciate the support, and I'm glad knowing you're enjoying the trails I've worked on.

Thanks again, too, to those of you who have helped me on various projects in the last year and a half.

And thanks, too, to the Warriors and SHARE who do an incredible amount of trail work in the National Forest and the County Parks.

19. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

I saw you riding up with your tools yesterday afternoon as I was coming down from Old Camp. I saw all of your hard work on the trail. Thanks again, much appreciated.

20. kioti

kioti Active Member

I managed to get up there again this afternoon, and pretty much finished the job (at least for now).

All that's needed now is a little rain, and a lot of riders.

Looking up toward Old Camp--
    DSCN0783.jpg

Looking down toward the top of the Luge--
    DSCN0781.jpg