Hamstring pain

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Red Hawk, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but I felt here was appropriate. I did the Mulholland challenge, and had blown up my calve on the ride. After a week of healing and some riding, I thought it would be better by now, but now I'm feeling pain in my hamstring, and I still pain behind my knee. The only way I can explain it is, it feels like my muscles has been pulled, or pulled away from my knee area. It especially hurts when I fully extend my leg. Any ideas what it could be? I can't figure out what i did to myself. Been icing my leg, taking ibuprofen, drinking plenty of fluids. Heck I even did some yoga. haha, I guess I'm just out of idea.

2. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    I few weeks ago I crashed on the BMX track and pulled/tore my hamstring pretty bad. All I can suggest is rest it, ice it, and take your favorite NSAID (Ibuprofen, is fine. I like Lodine). Then after it stops hurting for no reason, start exercising below the level that causes pain. The same goes for stretching it out. Go slow. don;t push it till hurts even a little. Mine felt like a "charlie horse" or cramp. I found massaging pretty aggressively helped. From what I can tell, if we rupture muscle tissue, it is important to keep it from "healing wrong", and forming addhesions that will always make it feel tight, and will be more likely to tear again under full exertion. If the injury is tendon related, STAY OFF OF IT UNTIL IT HEALS. Eat Jello, and be very careful stretching until you know it's better.