Greetings from San Dimas, looking for specific help for a road trip

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dragoon976, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dragoon976

dragoon976 Making it Reign

Management
    Don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes:

I am planning a road trip this Jun 24th - 27th to the coasts of central and Northern California, namely SLO, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Big Sur etc. I want to get in a few rides. However, this is not a mountain bike specific trip. We will have friends and family along with us who don't regularly bike but will join in on at least one ride. They are all reasonably coordinated and physically fit, but not necessarily so on a bike. Because of this, I am intimidated when choosing potential trails. Basing my choices off of resources such as mtbr trail reviews "flaming chilis" technicality ratings is worrisome for me, because these ratings are often so relative.

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of trails in those areas that are scenic, have flowy singletrack, little to no exposure, and nothing overly technical. Basically, I consider a perfect trail for comparison would be Marshall Canyon in La Verne. If it was less technically difficult and more flowy than Marshall, that would be even better. Tree cover would be a big positive. If it can be shuttled, that would be a bonus as well. Are there any rides in the mentioned areas like this?

Lastly, are there "must do" rides I should check out? I am willing to ditch the others for a few hours if you all think its worth it :bang: For me personally, I suck at jumping but love to attempt them (the Webb doubles are the biggest i've done, but would like to try larger tabletops and some ladder drops). I also love to rail and generally go fast; that is probably what comes most naturally to me. If it helps any, I ride a 2006 Giant Reign with 6.75inch travel and a 160mm RS domain on 2.5 tires. I definitely lean more towards FR/DH of all mountain than XC.

TL;DR Version: recommend me some rides in SLO, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz that are scenic and similar in technicality to Marshall Canyon in La Verne. TIA!

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Welcome - In SLO go to Montana d Oro park. There is a short trail that runs along the bluff overlooking the ocean. It's called Bluff trail. It's flat, short and non-tech. It's just past the park HQ. In the same park, just before the park HQ is Islay Creek Rd. It's a mellow fire road that heads inland through a scenic canyon. There are a couple mild climbs but if the group is reasonably fit it will be no problem.

3. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Montana de Oro to be sure.

Between Morro Bay and Big Sur there isn't much trail riding that is legal.

Johnson Ranch Preserve has a lot of trails for family riding and hiking. It's just before you hit SLO.

Cambria bike has some free zerox'd maps for riding. A fun ride for your group might be the Fiscalini Ranch Preserve which is right across the highway from Main Street. Start at the top and take the network of trails all over with great views up and down the coast.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/ride-reports/48083-fiscalini-ranch-preserve.html

http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=35.553597&ln=-121.092510&z=4&k=2