Great Week of Riding

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by LuvMammoth, Apr 29, 2014.

1. LuvMammoth

LuvMammoth Member

Teacher
    I have to say this was one of the best weeks of riding I have ever had. It is not because is "killed it" on Strava or had an outrageously awesome trip like some I have seen posted (please no more Sedona pics, they are too good!) My week was awesome because my wife finally got back on the dirt for the first time since her third ACL surgery in September. We started with Smokey Bear Loop in Mammoth. It is a mellow 14 mile ride with about 1,200ft if climbing on mostly firm fire roads. There were some other options along the route that looked like fun detours but we didn't want to push it on the first ride back.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The next ride was a little more fun, Lower Rock Creek Sections 1 and 2. We parked at the bottom of the second section and took the old road up. She was excited about getting in her first single track since surgery and LRC didn't disappoint. The trail was perfect and she rode it cleanly except one little rocky section on the first part.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Although she was ready to ride, she didn't want to take the chance of getting hurt skiing so I snuck in a couple of days with my buddy Matt Jazz[​IMG]

When we got back home she said she wanted to go on another fun ride. So I figured I would take her to one of the funnest rides I know, Blackstar. I know it can be boring, long, exhausting and did I mention boring. However, I think it is a great ride just for the feeling of accomplishment and the views at the end. We didn't set any records on the climb but she made it with only two short breaks and the knee was still feeling pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So stoked to have her back riding, but the next ride of the week was with my friends Rich (Deadweight), Steve, and Glen plus about 950 other people at the Rwanda RACE, just kidding, ride. Even though Dino only gave my friend Rich credit for 2.5 miles on his post, I can assure you we completed the entire 25 (28) mile ride. It was a blast! The mud on the first climbs sucked but at least you were not alone in your misery. I think the best description of the trails was comparing it to climbing a peanut butter mountain. After O'neil the ride was great and a lot of great people on the ride and working the route as well. Thanks to the entire Rwanda crew, see you next year with the wife.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Glen finishing the 50, nice work.

I had so much fun on the Rwanda ride since most of it was new dirt or mud to me that I thought I would bring my wife out there for a ride on Sunday. We parked at O'neil and skipped the nastier climbs and took the southern most part of the 25 miler. The only thing we changed from Saturdays ride was that we included the Bellview trail that was taken out of this years ride, guessing that was a good call. However, by Sunday afternoon the trail was in great shape and we had a ton of fun on the entire ride. Kam was happy to get another nice ride, about 17 miles and 1,600ft of climbing. Again the knee felt great and if her work schedule wasn't so rotten this week she would have been out there riding the Fully Loop tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry the pics aren't great but I was fighting low light most of the time. Look forward to seeing you all on the trail.

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Wow! That was one heckuva' week! :clap:

Happy and surprised to have seen you (and Rich) at the Rwanda Ride.
    Hope our paths cross again real soon!

Well done! :clap:

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Ok no more Sedona pics, but I do have 1 more Prescott RR to post :)

Nothing wrong with these pics. Any picture is worth a thousand words IMHO. Nice RR and thanks for taking the time to share.

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Wow - congrats to your wife. What a trooper! In spite of the injury, you two appear to lead a great life!

5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Loved the RR - so inspirational. Your stoke was still all over your face last night; good bumping into you again w Deadweight yesterday!!

6. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Nice week Man and congrats to your wife for getting it done!

7. Deadweight

Deadweight older, not much wiser.

Nice RR Doug and good to see Kam back on the bike!

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Very cool......nice running into you up at Blackstar.

9. kcm

kcm New Member

what a great post! Wish I could ride with my wife! thanks for the pictures.. Rwanda was a great ride.

10. LuvMammoth

LuvMammoth Member

Teacher
    It is great to ride with the wife until she out climbs me. I'm thinking I will be able to keep in front of her for at least a month.

11. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Love the Pics and your wife rocks for getting right back on the bike. Is that the Gold Rush chair behind your buddy? It was probably the best weekend of snow at Mammoth last weekend.

12. LuvMammoth

LuvMammoth Member

Teacher
    That is actually chair 3 in the background. The run is Gremlins, the little run between World Cup and St. Anton heading towards chair 23. I guess I didn't mention that she blew her knee out on Skidmarks at the end of summer. However, I still love Mammoth.