Great Park Crit

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, Apr 11, 2010.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Just got this:

Event: Great Park Crit Series
    What: Sporting Event
    Start Time: Thursday, April 15 at 6:00pm
    End Time: Thursday, April 15 at 9:00pm
    Where: Sand Canyon and Marine Way

To see more details and RSVP, follow the link below:
    http://www.facebook.com/n/?event.php&eid=117073351638781&mid=22c74d1G5bfdf5d9G177fbc9G7&n_m=rschmidtrn%40yahoo.com

Presented by Rock and Road Cyclery and in association with CBR.

24 races - April - September

Bringing racing back to the OC on a regular basis has been in high demand. The wait is over. Every Thursday night in the summer of 2010, you can race your bike on the tarmac of the old El Toro Marine base now known as the Great Park. Join us as we embark on a racing series that could balloon from criteriums, into road racing, to time trials, all within a closed road circuit laid out on top of the runways. Start time is 6pm.

2.5 mile, 7 turn circuit loop over 1 hour.

Part of the CBR group of races!

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

http://www.californiabicycleracing.org/igpcr.pdf

Let me know how this Thursday goes...want to go (but can't) and I know that there's quite a few who do the Orchard Hills loop a few miles away on Tuesdays that prefer that to what some have called the "Roller Derby at El Dorado".

3. carbonman

carbonman Captian of BIG RED

what's that?????
    Thanks for the info, sounds like fun

4. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Heard about this when I picked up my Sho-Air kit on Friday. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the first race this week.

*Edit* Totally forgot that I have to coach lacrosse practices on Thursday nights ](*,)...bummer

5. minhster

minhster DNF'd

I'm probably going to be out there tomorrow to check it out and see how it is. I'll snap some pics and report back.

6. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

So, who's going?

I think I'm going to ride from HB, up Newport Coast, through Shady Canyon to Sand Canyon and up to the park. Anyone know of a better route?

Draheim, can't you ride and coach at the same time? I seem to remember some fields in the area ;)

7. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Bring extra tires. I used to autox there and the surface is like 36grit sandpaper.

8. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Haha I wish, but I'm just the assistant coach so I don't have the authority, plus I don't think the parents would like to have to drive 15-20 miles instead of 5 to get their kid to practice :lol:

If the Cat 5 category is going last, I would be able to make it, but I'm assuming they are the first ones to go.

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

They run it like ElDo, the 4/5s, then Masters, then 1/2/3s. They did start it at 1815 tonight, and I believe that will be the start time next week, too.

It was a fun 2.5+ mile course, nice n wide, with only two real turns, but plenty of room around them. There was a beautiful headwind on the long flat side (I swear it was about a mile), and with a little group, there weren't many places to hide. MASTERS/WOMEN, PLEASE GO OUT NEXT WEEK! This week hurt :lol:

While I didn't see anyone with a flat, there were some little rocks in some sections, so I think the tougher tires are probably best.

Because of the course length and width, and the fact that it's a training "crit" (more like a circuit) that allows you to jump back in the peloton when it laps you, I think it's a great course for anyone who has been curious about trying a road event. As a measure of how much safer I felt it was--I usually drop out of the final sprint at ElDo due to fear, this one, I hung in (though didn't really have a sprint at the end of the ride--okay, I just didn't have a sprint at the end lol). :)

10. Jayhar

Jayhar New Member

Graphic Designer
    i need to get into this next week! so stoked they have this going now around the local area.

11. minhster

minhster DNF'd

I didn't race but I came out there to check it out anyways. When you get out there it's kindda weird... it's seriously in the middle of NOWHERE!!! That's because you're seriously on the tarmac of an old landing strip! But that's the glory of it. You can see the race when anywhere because it is all flat with nothing blocking your view. There are no blind corners and there are no idiot bystander crossing the street at the wrong time. It's seriously a private venue where if you have no business being there, you are not there.

Like mentioned above, the course itself is freaking WIDE! The corners (the 4 that I can see at least) were pretty wide too. You obviously don't want to take the widest turn possible but it's there if you need it. Most of the corners were ridden 2 riders abreast at the most.

I'm definitely going to be doing a few of these this year. I was highly discouraged watching the Ladera Ranch and Dana Point grand prix because those races can get pretty intense with the sharp corners and narrower streets but this is nothing like that. You also can't beat the price either at $10 for members and $15 for non-members (i think, pulled those #'s off the top of my head). I'm excited now to get out there and try some road racing!!!

12. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

Funny because I like Ladera Ranch and Dana Point for that very reason. Big wide sweeping turns are nice, but so is a little variety every once in a while. :)

The course sounds fun though, and I think I'll give it a try since it'll be a good reason to head down to Taco Loco in Laguna Beach afterwards. :lol:

13. minhster

minhster DNF'd

I totally agree that sharp turns are WAAAAAAAAY more fun! I enjoy them on weekend rides with a small group of my friends but when there's 40-50 others guys around me gunning for that same corner that's only a car width wide... I can see myself freaking out!!! :eek: :lol:

I guess i'm still a roadie newb :beer:

14. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Thread Bump...

....another one happening this Thursday. Some people suggested adding some cones to the final turn or on the inside line of a few turns where the pavement "extends" into the grass but really isn't part of the line. Another one was for the organizers to sweep the course.

As for #1...lay down a few stripes of spray paint instead of cones and tell everyone to hold their lines...its a midweek experience builder, not roller derby (saw some of that in the back of the pack on Lap 1 of the 5B San Luis Rey Road Race....seriously). Nobody likes to run up on a cone in the middle of a turn.

For #2...bring a broom if you drive there. If you ride to the event, show up 15 minutes earlier and throw in some sweat equity...have done so a few times up in Orchard Hills when glass shows up in the bike lanes from the school under construction. Otherwise, kick the larger chunks into the grass. Finally, don't ride on the seams (or Death Valley as Bob Roll calls is) in the concrete...you'll stay upright.

15. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    I'm a fairly new roadie. Never done a group ride. That said, is a Crit newbie friendly? Will it be really annoying that i'm going like 14mph? Any etiquette to observe?

Edit: Also, where is a schedule of the races? I don't get FB at work, and the flyer doesn't seem to give dates.

16. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Probably not the best idea to do a crit for your first group ride. You have to be comfortable with other riders being very close to you on either or both sides and following closely to someone's wheel. You also have to be able to hold your line and not make any sudden movements. Also if you rode at 14 mph you would be off the back of the group I would assume. I would imagine the pace is probably 20+.

It doesn't list dates because it is every Thursday until September which would be too many to list.

17. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

If you're new...I'd check the Orange County Rebel Riders (Group Rides Tue and Thur 6pm @ Windrow Park) or other shop rides during the week/weekend to build confidence and pace.

Neutralized pace was 14-15 mph, cruising laps were 20-25+, and final lap was pinning it at 30+ as a large group before it cranked up to 35+ as the final sprint unwound in the final 200+ meters.

18. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    I was just incredulous that there would be an event every thursday for 6 months in a row.

I can somewhat hold a line, and my typical speed solo is 14-22mph, depending on the terrain/incline. 20mph for a cat 4/5 seems quite fast. I'll have to work up to it.

Thanks.

19. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

I would have to agree that it is best to get some group experience before trying a race, like crits. There are several safety issues at hand:

1) You want to be comfortable enough in a group to be aware of other riders and potential hazards (like unsafe bike handling, diving corners and unsafe braking)

2) You need to know how to protect your front wheel

3) NEVER slam on your brakes, avoid using them at all, especially in corners, while maintaining your line (obviously, there are emergency exceptions)

4) Always hold a steady line

5) Know what to do if you're dropped off the pack. The ElDo and Great Park Crits will allow you to rejoin your pack, but you shouldn't just jump in, you need to ease back in to avoid sudden decelerations of the riders behind you. Also, stay to the outside of the course if you do fall off (left side at Great Park, right side at ElDo).

6) NEVER NEVER NEVER make any abrupt movements

7) Remember to talk-notify the pack if you see an obsticle, slow rider on the side, flat, sudden slowing

As for speed, it doesn't really matter if you're willing to push yourself. You'll never get faster without riding with the faster guys, just know that they will not wait for you. Plus, when you're in a group, if you know how to draft, you will find that you go faster than on your own.

Remember, there is no fee for going in to just watch, if you're curious about it.

To get used to group rides, I'd recommend looking into some local clubs-ShoAir, BCI, OC Rebels, OC Velo, Velo Allegra or even some of the STR roadie rides. I'll be looking forward to seeing you out there when you comfortable with it. :)

20. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    Friend and I are going .. CAT 4/5 Sho-Air Kits. Anyone else 100%? Cat?

Highly recommended to any newbies, course is by far the easiest to navigate compared to the weekend crits..

Come out and support local racing!