Gravity Dropper

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by Red Hot Sloth, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Red Hot Sloth

Red Hot Sloth Banned

'Nuff said brotha...
    When my incentive arrives I'll be up to see ya :wave:

2. tbowren

tbowren New Member

Is that because you don't need to get behind your saddle? or is it because you don't have a problem getting behind your saddle?

It must be something to do with my body geometry ( thats code for fat thighs) if I get behind my saddle for a steep descent, there is no way I'm able to return to above my saddle without getting stuck behind it.

I wonder if one could prove there is a scientific link between gravity dropper lovers and people who's inner thighs rub together when they walk? :-k

WHAT? I didn't know that and have never seem them there. I'm sure there is lots of stuff there I've never seen but I think I would have noticed them if they were on the wall.

I would have purchased mine there if I knew that.#-o

3. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I should have clarified that by saying that I haven't ridden many trails recently where I felt I needed it.

I feel like I can get behind the saddle easily enough. Case in point, I put a regular seatpost on my Yeti to save weight during VQ. I got behind the saddle just fine and descended like a fiend. Granted, there wasn't a whole lot of really steep stuff on VQ but I didn't have to stop and drop my seat.

The only time I'm like "damn, I'm so glad I have the GD" is when I'm going over any sort of jump.

I think it's a really sweet piece of machinery and I really dig having it, just don't think I "need it need it"

As far as thighs go, mine are definitely NOT skinny. They are pretty muscular (with a little extra padding), so there goes your thigh theory ;) :lol:

4. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

too baggy mtb short

just wear Lycra, nice and silky smooth.:)

5. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I love my GD--after EP discounting I still paid close to $200 out the door. Good luck finding them for very cheap. The Path deal is probably your best option.

On the other subject of using them--I find it absolutely necessary. I have short arms (or so it seems) and have a hard time getting behind the saddle when it's at full height. I got the 4" drop GD and it is one of the best "upgrades" I've ever done.

6. el cap

el cap Active Member

My Gravity Dropper is my best friend now. It's the 3" version, but it's great for those singletracks with short steep ups and short steep downs which continues for most of your ride. If you just climb long fire roads with a steady rise and long downs, you don't really need it (just get a QR collar).

7. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    that's nuts! 's why the Mavericks w/o handlebar shift sux. with my GD, when it gets roller-coaster, i am shifting the GD up and down as often as i shift gears.

my $.02 is even GD's 4" is not quite enuff. 5" better. it's coming, too (in beta testing

8. NitrOx

NitrOx Suspension Junkie

Suspension Junkie
    I have one in mint condition for sale. It's he 0", 1", and 4" drop remote model. $175 takes it home.

9. el cap

el cap Active Member

That is a good price. Mine is a 3" model and I love it.

10. Blueman

Blueman New Member

I have an All Mountain Post by PCC. It work flawlessly and is rotational very stable. Four ball bearings to hold the seat true instead of one. No bonce to get it to rise. Also come with a remote. Very well made product. I would look at these before buying a GD.

11. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Do you have a link to ppc

I have tested all of the other seat posts I am interested in the one you call all mountain by ppc.

The Rase post has longest range of adjustment but is still under development. It will be great when its done.
    As of now it gets a 6 rating.
    I will get back to you when I get the new prototype in the mail.

The speed ball is a clean looking set up nice design.
    The big problem with it is is never locks down.
    This means if you go off a jump and squeeze with your legs it pulls out. NOT COOL.
    The speed ball gets a 7 Rating .

The GD post gets a 9 rating only because you have to shim it to get it to work on a 31.6 .
    Other than that it is the best adjustable post out there. A more set back version would also be cool for my bike set ups.
    The only reason is a have been using a Thomson lay back post I like the small bike long cockpit .

THE PATH IS THE PLACE TO GET EM AND YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY.

I just want to give some feed back from my studies.

J

12. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

13. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

14. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

naw, only in 27.2 like the retarder

15. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I have been running the All Mtn post from PCC for over a year with no problems. I have the 1"-4" version and I use it all the time. Dan at PCC is a cool guy and he will answer any questions you might have. Mine was around $260 shipped and I had it within a week-not 3 weeks as the website says.

16. bobzrag

bobzrag bonedaddy

I really like the idea of a gd, i am constantly raising and lowering my seat. But I don't currently race so the $250ish to buy one can't really be justified (although my mind is currently at work on building a case ;)

I did a lot of searching and checking on sites and ebay - getting a used one is tough, and they seem to go for near the same price

Good luck with your search/purchase!

17. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

$250+ is steep for a post but what I did to justify it was run a couple of experiments. I counted how many times on a ride I lowered/raised my post. I also noted when I wanted to lower/raise the post but didn't want to ruin my flow. Then I compared this with the thought of doing it all with the push of my thumb. I even bought an old Hite-Rite on ebay to see what a spring return could do for my riding. After wearing the anodizing off my Race Face post I got the AMP from PCC
    The post works best on technical singletrack, drop it for steep rocky drops, uphill starts and sketchy switchbacks. Pop it back up for sudden uphills or sustained climbs. The 1' drop is good for rolling singletrack and longer rides like SART. The 1" drop also gives a measure of relief on sustained fireroad climbs.
    You can also drop the post and mount your bike without even raising a leg-watch your buddies cringe at that move:bang:

18. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
  19. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    maven- why ya selling it? going back to old skool?

20. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Yep kickin' it old school like dat.