Ride Report Got in some Phoenix area trails

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by genusmtbkr5, Mar 5, 2013.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    New dirt is always fun and for the first time, I finally got a chance to ride in AZ this past Saturday. I’m out here on business and still here till Friday. I decided to drive instead of flying out as I would normal do so I wouldn’t be stuck with no transportation for 2 weeks. So this past Saturday I headed to South Mountain nearby and rode some of the local trails and rode again yesterday to an area called Trail 100. Both areas have lots of fun technical chunky stuff and a blast to ride.

South Mountain started out with a mellow spin through the Desert Classic trail which is more cross country with some fun flowy sections, but mostly flat and gradual climb as you head towards Telegraph. Telegraph is whole other story. This was mostly HAB all the way. I tried to ride some of it, but the sections are way too steep and rocky..., even going down would be a challenge. Here are some pics of South Mountain area.

Weather was perfect Saturday morning. Started out in the mid 70's and just above 80 deg all day which mild for this area.

IMG_1933.jpg

The start of the Desert Classic trail
    IMG_0400.jpg

DC is a mostly flat XC type trail
    IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg

Typical section on DC where you wind through cactus and other desert shrub

IMG_0411.jpg

Pano of Desert Classic
    IMG_1942.jpg

Next you come to Telegraph which will take you the paved road then head over to National Trail(looking back down a section just climbed)
    IMG_0412.jpg

Telegraph as I mentioned was HAB

IMG_0413.jpg

Looking at those hikers gives you an idea of the gain. This section was rideable

IMG_0414.jpg

...., then before you know it, it's time to HAB again
    IMG_0415.jpg

Finally after getting to the top of Telegraph and about a 2 miles paved climb, you reach the National Trailhead.
    IMG_1943.jpg

Starts out with a couple little drops...,

IMG_0416.jpg

..., then you come to another steep rocky climb. I think this is Waterfall section and I didn't clean it
    #-o Too fun to stop to take pics throughout.
    IMG_0417.jpg

From there you get some good flow going...,

IMG_0418.jpg

..., enjoy the view of Downtown Phoenix,
    IMG_1946.jpg

..., then more flowy sections between rocks.
    IMG_0419.jpg

Here's a wide view of National

IMG_1947.jpg

Just a great, super fun trail.
    IMG_0421.jpg

Continued...,

2. genusmtbkr5

The rest of National was just a blast. I put the camera away so I could just ride, but here's a few more.

IMG_1951.jpg

A pano shot of National Trail. The trail actually goes off to the right then comes out between the rocks as you can see in this pic. I stood off trail on a boulder to take this pic.
    IMG_1952.jpg

The last section before the fire road(you can see on the right of pic) back to the parking area.

IMG_1953.jpg

When I got back to my truck, I noticed this..., t
    he air seems to be holding, but it's time for a seal change. I guess the chunk on National was just a bit for the Tribal
    IMG_1954.jpg

Finished off Saturdays ride with lunch at Boulders on Broadway and a Knee Deep IPA
    IMG_1955.jpg

Then later that night, I went out with some flight attendants I met at the Drury Inn where I'm staying. The one on the far right(blonde) I've know since the mid 80's and she just happened to be one of the new F/A trainees here and we didn't know each was going to be in Phoenix at the same time..., small world indeed. ;) (left to right: Megan, Danielle, my friend MB)
    IMG_1958.jpg

Yesterday, I rode with a my regional manager who is a avid mountain biker himself. He knows I ride a lot so he took me to Trails 100 area. Trails 100 is another area with lots of tech and is way fun. It offers many variations with some technical climbs/sections/descents. Lots of chunky, loose gravely terrain here and a blast to ride. There is a flat/wash area between the hills here where you can string together some miles if so desired. This place IS A MUST ride area if you’re ever in the Phoenix area. Here are some pics of the Trail 100 area, but I didn’t take as many pics of the chunky sections because I was too busy watching my line as I descended to stop my flow.

IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg

Can't see from this pic, but there was some chunky steps along the way. Way fun stuff and plenty of OTB opportunities for sure.
    IMG_0433.jpg

Nice views of different variety

IMG_1976.jpg

More switchback climbs

IMG_1977.jpg

..., more flow.
    IMG_0434.jpg

...., more ups,
    IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg

Just a great area to ride...,
    IMG_1979.jpg

Lots of flat areas here as well, so yo can figure 8 or loop to your hearts desire.
    IMG_1980.jpg

Overall a great and fun place to ride. Anyone should certainly put this on your list if you're ever out in Phoenix/Tempe area.

IMG_1981.jpg

When I got back to the hotel, I joined my friend MB and a few of her fellow trainees for some wine. (Left to right: Danielle, Sue, MB, Halle, Alecia, Kennisha..., sorry so blurry)
    IMG_1983.jpg

I can't believe as many times as I've been to Phx/Tempe for training with either America West or US Airways and I never brought my bike. Well from now on, I'll drive out and take advantage of the time off to explore some more new dirt. Good stuff here..., among other things. :wave:

At South Mountain on Saturday, I only did about 17 miles and about 2,300 ft of climbing. Lots of other trail users here..., trail runners, hikers, dog walkers, kids, cougars, bunnies ;), but everyone was really friendly.

Yesterday at Trail 100, we did about 12 or so miles and about 1,800 ft of climbing. I'm looking fwd to riding here again this week after class lets out.

GPS links:

South Mountain:
    http://app.strava.com/activities/42864876

Trail 100: http://app.strava.com/activities/43200134

3. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Nice Gene...looks like you had fun all around. Maybe I'll go visit my brother in Chandler and take a bike with me.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Maybe!!! If you are not hitting the AZ trails a couple times a year you are truly missing out.

5. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    <----- This is my envy face.

Nice! I love AZ. Don't know much about the southern part of the state, but I'm growing more familiar with northern AZ, and I'm loving it more every time.

6. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

First class RR, Gene. Way to wrangle the extracurricular activity.

When the desert is good, it's really good. No doubt you have a hefty hit list, but I'll toss a vouch for McDowell Preserve (trails out to Tom's Thumb) and Cave Creek Preserve (Go-John trail, etc.).

Sorry, but I had to smile at your poor brutalized fork. Phx trails are big time part breakers. Good enough proving grounds for Titus and Pivot.

Cheers...

7. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Ha! Funny you say that Dean, I plan on getting over to Prescott one or two times this year (if the AMA gets off their a*s and releases the updated Dirttrack schedule I'll know when), maybe down to Tucson...and I guess I can go visit my brother. I'll check out your RR's and PM you before I head out to AZ. Thanks!

8. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    Great report. I've ridden South Mountain several years ago but haven't been back to Phoenix in a while. I plan to ride the 100 trails area the next time I'm out there, but just haven't had any opportunity to go out there.

9. genusmtbkr5

Ya I've been told about McDowell as well as Black Canyon. If I didn't have sim time on Sunday, I was going to go to Sedona, but I'm here on company business and don't have time sadly enough. I head back to L.A Friday

It's a must do area with lots of variations and really fun sections both up and down. I'm glad I had someone to show me his route. No way I would've known what to ride there if I could just follow along. Hook up with a local there or just ask the other riders as there's plenty there riding.

10. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

Gorgeous out there. I love bringing the bike when I travel. I'll star these starts on google maps so I know there are trails in the area if I'm around.

11. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Sweet! That's the state I plan on retiring too....so many trails to explore.

12. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Got to ride a little South Mountain when I was out there on business last October. Desert Classic was a blast on a rigid SS. Want to return with squish and gears to experience National (and, now, Trail 100). Going there in a week and a half, but have to fly :-/

If you get up to Scottsdale, hit The Praying Monk for a great beer selection and good food.

13. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Someone's gotta say it...

"Helloooooo Alecia..." That's way better than joining four smelly guys after a ride.

We return you now to more mature musings about riding the chunky trails of SoMoPho.

14. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Not monkey buisness

15. el cap

el cap Active Member

Nice RR & pictures, Gene!

I need to get me some S. Mountain riding time, the next time I'm in the Phoenix area. I rode there three years ago and I love the fun/tech aspect of those trails (Morman and National). It's so much different compared to the trails around here.

16. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Very nice Gene! Some great riding down there at SoMo. Looking forward to work necessitating a trip out there myself...

White tank out by Goodyear (about 30 minutes west) is another good spot if you have time this week. Goat camp might be a bit over the head of your tribal, but there's a number of other trails that are out there.

:beer:

17. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Great job, Gene. Always great to see new dirt in exotic areas (!!) through your lens and RRs. I didn't know there were cougars in the hills near Phoenix... *_*

- shud

18. genusmtbkr5

Ya I may not have time to ride again cause it's forecast to rain Friday which is the day I leave here and head back home. Tomorrow evening(Thurs), I'm suppose to join a some of the girls for dinner and then back to the hotel lounge for some wine after. They know it's my last night here and my friend MB and a few others want to celebrate one more night before I go. They're all here till Tues next week and then fly to back to their home states. Most of them are from the east coast including my friend MB who's from NYC.

19. ShiverMeTimbers

ShiverMeTimbers New Member

environmental consultant
    perfect time of year to ride Phx. If you have time, head up to Sedona!

20. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

STR needs more ride reports like this. This is getting me pumped up for my mtb trip to AZ in two weeks! Thanks Gene!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2