Golden Eagle Trail needs some Trimmin'

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Mikie Watson, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Casper,
    You rock! I'm going to Acton propably on Tuesday to help Un-Clipped in work on an Aliso Trail. Then we are going to work GE shortly after. You are welcome to join in. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Man!!

~Mikie

2. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    MIKIE! You are the man! I was simply blown away beyond belief, the carnage or volume of shrub age the beast leaves behind. It takes two guys just to clear it without a pitch fork. I tried to keep up with you but could not. I will defininetly pay it forward for Golden Eagle up in your Gods country neck of the woods. For those people who know what a treat it is to ride that premire goodness, we would appreciate any help we could get. I promise you after what I saw today, we can make that trail like you haven't seen it before! It is just going to have To take the place of Five Deer, which I never got to fully enjoy. Five deer is DOA! Let's not lose GE. Help us make it killer for the spring.

3. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Un-Clipped In,
    Dude, I had such a good time clearing Aliso with You and Scotty and Mike Grace. "The Beast" doesn't take no for an answer. What'd we do? About 3 miles of serious brush clearing? We have GOT to get that trail back to pristine, Man that brought back some good memories . . .

If weather permits, maybe we can knock it out of the park next Tuesday on GE. I'll PM Casper and see if he has it free. See if Scotty is free. We get a couple pitch forks. I'll tune up the beast, four guys can get some serious mileage done. We can finish GE in one day I think. What do ya say?

~Mikie

4. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    All,
    This coming Tuesday October 11th @ 8:00am. Trail Maintenance on Golden Eagle Trail. You will experience trail maintenance like you have never experienced it before. Un-Clipped In, Mike Grace, and Scotty have experienced "THE BEAST". They have seen first hand the ultimate branch buster!

All you will need are a pair of Work Gloves and a Pitch Fork to shovel Shrub Shrapnel off the trail. If some want to bring Hoes, (no, not indiscriminant girl friends!) or Shovels to do some trail repair that is greatly welcomed!

The weather has cooled down so bring a sweatshirt, your Camel Bak, and a lunch.

I know it's a Week Day so if you can't make it, tell someon who can.

Get off your Fully Suspended Arses and give back! We WILL have fun . . . . We WILL have Golden Eagle back.

Please let me know . . . .

Thank you for considering!

~Mikie

5. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Thanks for doing this guys! Post up pics when it's done. Even before and after pics would be nice!

6. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher
    Is 5-Deer really hopeless? I know it was real bad a few years ago when the FS "cleared" some brush out and left the piles right on the trail but can it be saved? That's one of the first real trails I rode when I first started out 20 yrs ago!

7. hill^billy

rug sucker
    To be honest with you I haven't been there in 2 yrs. And when I was there just to get through I was lucky Scotty had a folding saw. Turned out we both got a bad case of PO. People I have talked to say it is lost. Mike is it's only chance, he doesn't want to breath PO dust. The PO scares me off.

8. Casper

Casper New Member

I'm in! Just need an address!

9. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
  10. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher
    Will you guys still be there at 3:30 p.m.? How far up the trail do you plan to do? After I get out of school (work) I could drive to the last trail crossing on Leibre Road and start from there on the section south of the road with my hedge trimmer. Would that be helpful or would you guys have already cleared that area?

BTW Mikie and whomever; I have Monday off to ride if you want to meet up somewhere. I'm a slow climber but I get there!

11. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I will shoot for taking Tuesday off and meet ya up there at 8AM. What tools should I bring - I have hand clippers and loppers and a saw.

12. hill^billy

rug sucker
    That is awesome Dave! I'm so glad to get help because of the sheer volume the beast leaves behind, believe it or not all you need is a pitch fork, you know, don't you have one in shed. Oh yah, I live in Acton, not everyone has one. Because this guy is so talented,it takes a crew just to keep up. So you don't really need any tools, I guess loppers aren't a bad idea because he goes so fast that sometimes he misses something, I will prolly bring my hedge trimmer for that reason. We might be able to finish the hole damn thing in one day, believe it or not. With all the thorny stuff a pitch fork is my tool of choice. I think I can get one in my town?

13. hill^billy

rug sucker
    Maddog I am going to leave around two so I can meet my wife for a meeting with a physical therapist, so we can get her back into shape. I'm pretty sure Mike doesn't stop till it's finished,so I will let him chime in to let you know if it is worth it or not to drive up. I do know that you might have to hike a ways up to catch us. We were on A for 7 hrs on Tuesday and now there is hero dirt so I got to ride it tomorrow.

14. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Hey Guys,
    Just logged on. You all totally rock! Let's meet at the parking lot of Quail Lake at 8:00am. Everyone can find that. "THE BEAST" is a commercial Weed Whacker with a 7 1/4 inch Commercial Saw Blade on it. There are just plain weeds to cut as well but "THE BEAST" will cut stuff up to 3 inches! Not that we need to. I was planning to drive up to the single track first crossing off Leibre Road like Mad Dog mentioned. We can do the 1.2 miles on the lower side (easy stuff) first then head up to the shrub tunnels and knock that out of the park! Two Guys with Pitch Forks can follow "THE Beast" But more could be a waste. But PLEASE, show if you can, there is plenty of scrumptious trail action we can get done. I can also bring a Chain Saw cuz there might be a need to cut back the Shrub Tunnels. But Lopps, and Saws are a plus. I'm focus on a year to two year growth cut back which is a bit more into the wood than branch trimming. It will make it nice for a season, maybe two.

MADDOG! Are you getting off work at 3:30 or can you be there at 3:30. Leaving at 3:30 is a bit late and I appreciate your studliness. I'll leave that up to you. We could be there past 3:30 but I would hate for you to miss us.

Definetly bring a CamelBak, some lunch, and some work gloves. I'll bring "THE BEAST", Hoes, Shovels, Rakes, Lopps, Chain Saw, and whatever else I can find.

As far as 5 Deer, right now it is totally toast. I tried to ride it and did like three slow motion crashes. The trail has center rutted so bad you can't spin your cranks. The overhead growth is so low I had my helmet ripped off a couple of times. There are rain ruts so bad that it has wiped the trail to hike a bike status (and that's going down hill!). It is a felony. That was my most favorite ride in the mid 90's. I would be willing to put some serious time into it, but it is going to take some major effort. A LOT of dirt work!

I really appreciate you guys! Let's do this!

PM me if you need more info or want to talk!

~Mikie

15. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

Without pics...

16. hill^billy

rug sucker
    I hate to disagree about 3 people being enough, but I disagree. I am pretty sure there will be enough debris for more people to share the load just incase someone needs a bit of a break, I have seen you in action and once you get started you don't stop Samurai Mikie. The more people the more should get done.

17. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher
    I could be there at 3:30 but at the upper end of the 1.2 mile section you mentioned where the trail crosses Leibre road over to the north side then on to the east trail end at the pct. Don't wait for me though since you'd already have 6 or 7 hours in! You'd probably have that section done anyway! I'll something to cut!

18. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Okay mi Amigos!
    http://g.co/maps/fttzk is the location we are meeting at 8:00am which is the Parking Lot of Quail Lake. Remember to bring lots of Water, a Lunch, and Work Gloves. I'll bring TP if anyone needs to lose weight on the trail. If you have a Pitch Fork, bring it if possible. I have one. Your welcome to bring any tools you like but we should be able to smack most of it with "THE BEAST".

~Mikie

19. hill^billy

rug sucker
    See yah!

20. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Photo's would be great if you can do it!! Thanks again and be sure to wear an orange vest!