Go Lakers...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by JoeTruth, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Oh boy, everyone whines, bitches and complains on message boards and talk radio, after the fact. The fact is, we're now up 3-1 and in the drivers seat. The NBA is is not going to change the score or give Barry a foul (no) call now so what's the point? You'll be hard pressed to have such calls made at the final seconds of a big game. Especially if your name is Barry. Pecking order for such calls is in full affect. I like the way SA dealt with it, after the fact. Classy and whine free. Next game please!

2. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Mr. Hater

Kobe doesn't want to be like Mike......he wants to be better.....and he is.

You just better hope your soft Cel'Dicks can pull it off against the Piss'Ons.

3. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Agreed. I dunno why everyone is so concentrated/angry about a no call. Statistically, the Lakers had a great game and the Spurs didn't.

4. .8down

.8down Active Member

great game I nearly died watching it, I have DVR and wanted desperately to fast forward to the end. hahaha, and props to the Spurs for not complaining, that shows you how veteran that club is. BTW spurs fan, 24 had 0 free throws in this game, and 6 in the entire series....

I liked what LO said:

Reporter: Did you think that last play was a foul?
    LO: what did you see
    Reporter: It looked like a foul
    LO: I saw that all night...:)

5. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I am just saying the obvious if anybody was complaining like a Biatch it was that Rascal Scooter bound Phil Jackson at the end of the 1st Quarter.

6. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

The Zen Master

knows all.........;)

7. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    The post game tnt crew was spot on about the fish no-call at the end. Ref's do not want to decide the game on a call unless they have to. When fish was in the air barry should have jumped into him, shot the ball and flailed up his arms to 'sell' the foul. The ref would have no choice but to call it. That would have been three free throws and the game. But instead barry tries to dribble around fish for a better look at the basket. Just shows how little experience barry has had in those situations. Credit to the spur's head coach's sportsmanship and honesty though - in his post game interview he said he would have made the same no call as the ref.

PLUS . . . spurs were getting tons of calls their way the whole game. The 3 point shot grazing the rim but not resetting the 24 sec clock, tim duncan's obvious travel leading to a slam, etc etc. It all evens out in the end. The lakers simply outplayed them and deserved to win; plain and simple.

8. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Agree with George.

Any student of the game will tell you that there is a long history in the NBA of trying to resist whistling a foul to decide the outcome of a game. I've seen worse non-calls, especially in game ending situations. If there was a call to be made it would not have been a shooting foul and Barry would have been given two shots at the free throw line (probably tying the game).

Popovich, Ginobili and Duncan all showed class along with knowledge of the game by taking the high road in post game interviews. Even Barry didn't make a big deal of it.

The Spurs know:

- It would not change the outcome of this game.
    - It would piss off the refs.
    - That's the way game ending situations are usually called, especially in the playoffs.
    - If they were going to question that (non) call, then it would certainly be fair to question, for example(s), some of the other (non) calls in the game that went their way, like the 24 second snafu with Fisher's shot and Duncan's incredibly blatant bunny hop through the pea patch (travelling) on the way to a layup. Kobe had zero free throws tonight.
    - Bad calls, non calls, questionable officiating, etc, all have a way of balancing out over the long haul.

Still, total respect to Pop and crew. They have made no excuses whatsoever the entire series. That's the way champions should conduct themselves. Maybe a bit of that will rub off on Phil and the Lakers.

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

I'm starting to hate the Lakers in a love-hate kind of way. Up 9 or so with 2 minutes to go or something like that, and it comes down to a shot by Barry. :mad:

something looked odd when Kobe never got to the line either :?:

so glad i can watch the next couple games with less worries

10. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    That's classic Lakers. Ever since the Magic days they had problems really sending the hammer down to finish a team off but that's my own opinion and yes I am a Lakers fan.

11. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

They also know that the beauty of a 7 game series is that the outcome isn't likely to be decided by a game, much less a call.

12. asian fury

asian fury You give love a bad name

Sales Rep.
    Kobe is no MJ

love Kobe's game and the Lakers, but how quickly we forget the greatness of Jordan.

MJ in his prime was the most skilled, most athletic player in the game. MJ's best season (88-89), 54% fg, 8 rpg, 8 apg, 2.9 spg, 32.5 ppg.

if you a hoops geek like me, MJ and Kobe are different players. MJ was a foul line and below player. MJ was more athletic than Kobe and would get to the rim more often.

Kobe has a better perimeter game and has more range than Jordan did. Maybe has more basketball skills, than MJ, but not as strong, and can't jump as high.

Both players are the best in the league in their era, but there is only one Jordan.

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

We have been over this...........

#-o

The reason Kobe is better than that other guy is Kobe is a Laker;):lol:

14. asian fury

Sales Rep.
    ok I get it.

Best PF of all time Slava Medvedenko!

15. .8down

.8down Active Member

Everyone looks at MJ and Kobe when we make this comparison, but wait....you aren't looking at the rest of the League. MJ was a man among boys. Who was gonna stop him? Craig Elo? John Starks? Kobe plays against specialized players like Bowen(hacker that he is, he still knows tricks, and can defend) Lebron, D Wade, Mellow....these are all skilled players with fantastic athletic ability(not Bowen, the other guys), and everyone forgets, Basketball is a two way game, if Kobe had no offensive skills, he would be the stopper for the Lakers right now in these playoffs.

16. asian fury

Sales Rep.
    couldn't resist

Clyde Drexler, Mitch Richmond, Reggie Miller were all pretty good players in their day, Jordan shut those guys down consistently. Lebron, D Wade, Mello, all good players but they don't play any defense, not in the same league as a Bowen, Payton & Joe Dumars (Jordan's era). I digress, you've been through all this before.

2nd best PG of all time behind Magic, Smush Parker.

17. .8down

.8down Active Member

I just think today's players are bigger stronger and faster, thats why we are seeing the decline of the team game and the rise of the "stars" if anything MJ was the start of that. I stil agree that MJ is a greater player, only because the only tangible way to measure that is hardware...

18. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree that they couild have and normally would have called that a foul at the end....the part I don't get is everyone is making a BIG deal about that 1 call...when .4 seconds earlier Kobe drove to the hoop thru 3 players and had hands ALL over him but no foul was called...how does he not get to the line ONCE during the ENTIRE game????

THE OFFICIATING BLOWS........PERIOD

19. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Remember that MJ played college ball before turning pro. And, he and the Bulls struggled in the playoffs for several years before they got that first title.

MJ was 28 years old when the Bulls first made it to the finals and won their first NBA championship in 1991. He went through a similar phase in his younger days where he could put up big numbers, but not get the W's when they counted. The Bulls didn't get dominant until MJ got his "Robin" in the form of Scottie Pippen in '87 along with the assorted role players, not to mention the arrival of one Phil Jackson in '89 and they still took a few seasons to gel into a dynasty.

As of today, Kobe is 29 and already has three rings and will likely compete for his fourth in the finals again before he turns 30 in August.

As for those that will cite their distaste KB for his off the court behavior while praising MJ, MJ doesn't exactly have a spotless rep in the faithful husband department either.

If you're going to perform a hardware check to compare greatness, it's only fair to wait until they hang up their sneakers.

20. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Russell vs. Wilt

Do you think Russell was a better player than Wilt because he has more rings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.