Giving up Downhill

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by lil__missy, Oct 22, 2008.

1. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

Smart judgment call lil missy. Do what i do, i go slower. Sometimes fear is good for you.

2. lil__missy

lil__missy Fighting "The Man"

Animal Lover
    Very true. The weird thing is this responsible thing. I've never really held back from doing something I love for the concern of another. I would still wreck my body if I didn't have him. I had a good crash that morning that really kicked my ass. Imagine the force of going OTB and landing breastplate first into 2ft diameter log.

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Here is my take.I take my kids BMX ing and know the hazards. I love my boys, but I love the freedom of riding. At this point how can I tell them, no more BMX, you might get hurt? Life has risks. Never stop what you enjoy. Pain,fear and bad things are part of life. You make it or you dont, and no amount of less risk can change that.:?:

4. Framekiller

Framekiller Professional Lurker.

professional slacker
    Heres a thought, 10 years old? Get him into biking now! He could be the next Sam Hill if he keeps at it. Thats just 10 years from now! Then you can do the gnar together!

5. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    Never say never... I have a wife, two kids and two cats, a house, two cars and the list goes on....

I broke 3 ribs the day after my wife had her tubes tied. You get through it... just wear your armour etc like the others said and get your ass back on the DH bike!

If it's "in" you to ride DH, you will be back...

You can't deny it, it will make you return!

OBEY....

6. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    That's a really unselfish thing to do. I admire your judgement as well. I am also a single mom of two great girls. I play it safe because they need me to drive them places, cook, pay bills, buy bikes, and the list goes on.

I enjoy it and don't regret anything I do for them.

I sometimes question myself for letting Julia participate in such a dangerous sport. It's just almost everytime she runs into me her question is: When are we riding? I guess it's better than other things she might be doing, if she didn't have a passion for riding a bike.

This is why you see me on fireroads and not so much on DH. Actually as Julia started riding more, I started toning down my riding. It just happens.

7. nekit

nekit New Member

Software Developer
    Wow. That's wow. I have ton of respect for you and your decision.

And you know, one day you'll get life insurance, and go down, and not be pushing it, and may be teach your kid a trick or two. But now you do what needs to be done.

Ton of respect.

8. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Try riding Rigid SS... everything feels crazy, even riding a plain fireroad :lol:
    All joking aside, other than dh, rigid SS has to be the most fun you can have on a bike, or pretty close.

9. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Elvia, you are a great Mom, never forget that. Julia, well shes belongs to STR.:):lol:

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    You'll find a lot of us older riders have come to this same conclusion. I always ask, who will pay my mortgage for the next 6 months if I don't make it. I think it's stingy of someone to think of only the fun they can have and screw the risks. Everything in life has it's risks but some of them are not worth it. I still get my adrenlin fix without getting stupid.

11. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Ride HARD Ride Smart! whats the difference with Driving on a side street with a green light and some idiot running a red light and T-bone you on the driver side?

It's great to know that there's still people who are not selfish...
    don't stop.. but don't go crazy... just my .02 :wave:

12. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Amy,

I applaud your decision and I will say that I know it was a hard one. You know in your heart that you can still ride, just not at the level you were hoping for. Making the decision to sacrifice your own wants to care for your nephew is a big step and one not lightly taken. You are now responsible for another person's life and well being, don't ever take it for granted.

My father was my best friend and my constant mentor and playmate when I was growing up and we did all sorts of sports together. This is something I will never forget and I am truly greatful for, the biggest one of which was putting me on a mini bike at age 5!!!!! Find out what his passion is and support him as much as you can. Teach him to love life and to be adventurous, like you. ;)

I forgot to ask, does he like riding bikes????:?:

And yes, my little grasshopper, you will one day learn that climbing, although not my favorite part of the sport, is a necessary evil especially when it comes to staying active on your bike(s)!!!!!!

13. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Whoa...brake line coming out on Pistol Pete's? That's some serious business.

I think you need to do what is right for you. Despite all the advice we might give, you are the person who knows you (and your nephew) best.

14. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Thats a great thing to do but..
    There is no reason to give up downhill now, 10 years old is alomst the time to get started. I grew up riding dirtbikes with my step-dad, grandpa, grandma and little brother, we always rode within our limits because you should always ride within your limits. You have chances of dying everywhere and after the last couple years where I have lost many friends very randomly, car accidents, stabbings, disease, I understand that more then likely it is not going to be the bicycles or dirtbikes that kill me, it will probably be the person doing there make up messing with their bluetooth on the freeway. Its great to say you gave up something for someone but its not nessicary. Make sure your son is covered no matter what, life insurance, god parents, somthing. Because you never know where the lighting bolt will hit. Quiting riding your downhill bike is just a solution that will make you feel better but isnt really solving a situation.

my .02 cents even though know one really has to listen to me anyways

15. lil__missy

lil__missy Fighting "The Man"

Animal Lover
    He loves riding bikes and is decent for his age. I will go riding with him still. If something happens to me he has lost his provider. Maybe once he's older and I know someone else in the family would step up if something happened to me I will push the limits again. BTW Ricky I never ride within my limits which is why I crash a lot and my b/f brags about me a lot.

16. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    Wow, good times.

As such a young pup, dont be afraid to ask questions of some of us "old timers" that have experience with kids. I wish you the best with your nephew.

17. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Amy, do whatever you feel is right for you and your nephew and if that means giving-up DH (for now or permanently), then so be it. Nothing wrong with that at all. I understand your rational.
    Being one who's had a severe injury 5 years ago that almost left me paralyzed and out of work to provide for my 3 kids for 6-8 months, I can relate and appreciate what you're saying. I ride and push myself now but always attempt to maintain control and only take very calculated risks. Going down some of that really steep techie stuff, I don't care how good of a rider someone is, it's only a matter of time before you take a bad spill and possibly get hurt. To some, they consider that the price to pay for the rush and fun, I understand that but it's not for me anymore. Pain and misery has a funny way of making your brain make rational and sensible decisions. It's admirable that you're making such a mature decision at the age of 22. Better to ride cautiously and be able to return to ride again tomorrow and so on and so on.

That's a very noble and selfless decisions you've come to. Best of luck to you.

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    You have understanding and support from this old man. I have no family in the immediate area getting seriously hurt would be a major problem.

Dean

19. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    Hi Amy

You can still play hard, just play smart. PP, Fall Line and all the other trails up here are still fun - if done a little slower. I too made the decision NOT to get into DH riding. XC and some mild AM riding are a ton of fun as well. The brightside of your decision is that now your nephew can go on all the trails with you. Exploration Trail over here in Running Springs is always a crowd pleaser and I'm sure your nephew could clean it easily.

Shoot me a PM and we can hit the trails.

Greg

20. W4S

W4S New Member

just curious, what would have happened if your brake line came out while bombing a fire road at 40mph on your xc bike?

you'll be back, maybe just at a more 'reasonable' level. Every Dh'er i've known has had the same thoughts and they always come back. DH is the hotel california, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave. :wave: