Getting back into cycing and looking for a full suspension bike

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by eatpasta, Sep 5, 2010.

1. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Video Editor
    hey all - after a 10 year break from riding mountain bikes Im getting back into it.

I used to have a Gary Fisher Joshua and i LOVED the bike. I used to ride five days a week in college until a pretty bad accident off road.

Since then I have gotten HEAVILY into motorcycles and desert racing so Im very interested in doing some kind of racing.

As far as a bike Im open to suggestions.... Ive tested a Santa Cruz Nomad and a Giant Reign and I think I actually preferred the Reign. what I really need is something bombproof. Im 6'3 220 lbs and im pretty hard on things.... plus im going to race it from time to time.

my budget is probably going to be something around $1500..... plus I look forward to riding with you guys and further exploring the greater Los Angeles area and re-exploring trails I used to ride as a kid up in Santa Barbara.

:bang:

2. BMeX

BMeX I push my bike up hills

The Reign is more of an all-mountain bike, for bombproof, look at the Giant glory. You might find an 09 for less than $2k.

3. thephat

thephat Active Member

If you race, do you think it would be DH or XC?

4. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Video Editor
    certainly not the crazy downhill stuff - something that involves a little of everything. Cyclecross? would that be right?

I dont much desire the insane downhill stuff. Where it would be fun, having a bike for just one thing would be a waste in my eyes. It would have to be a bike that I could ride to work and race on the weekends.

in motorcycle terms; just like my XR650R

5. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    Cyclocross racing (a winter discipline) is basically a modified off-road road bike with wider tires (for racing on dirt, mud, snow, sand, grass, asphalt) on courses marked with snow fencing/caution tape). It sounds like you want to race XC (cross-country). Per your post you'd want a bike light enough to race and capable of trail-riding when you're not racing. There are various bikes that can be had for $1,500 that fit into the XC/trail-riding segment. An all-mountain bike may be a little too heavy for racing/climbing but can take drops, downhilling, etc. You got so many options. You can go hardtail, 29er, dual suspension. Decisions. Decisions. :-k :-k

6. Bowbender

Bowbender New Member

I'll let you know when I grow up!
    The Nomad or the Reign would be good if your looking for an all around bike that you could run some Super D races with. If you want to race XC then I'd look at something on the lighter side with a little less suspension travel. Take a look at the Specialized Epic or Stumpjumper and the Santa Cruz Blur XC or the Blur LT leans towards the trail and all mountain side and is a little burlier but I've seen people race them. Good Luck on your search.

7. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Video Editor
    thanks for the tips guys!

when I get some time, i need to go check out those bikes for sure. As for the bike, no hardtail for sure, 29er I understand the idea of having one - dont have to have one.... full suspension for sure.

8. thephat

thephat Active Member

I would suggest trying a 29er before you make a move.

9. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I'm 6'4" 215 and bomb down rocky, nasty hills like an idiot. My Yeti 575 with a stout build has worked for me for a long time. Climbs great and descends like mad. Plus - it's the only XL frame that has a long enough top tube for me - like 25.5" You won't get a new one for $1500, but Yeti did reduce the price of the entry level 575 to less than 2k. Get a travel-adjustable fork so you can reduce the travel for climbing, then let it out for some real fun. I recommend the Fox TALAS 32 150mm with a 15mm thru axle. Or the Fox TALAS 36 (160mm) - burlier and costlier. That's the one I run, but I have both. Either one will up the price of the rig a couple hundred. Worth every penny! Git Some...

10. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

:-k, last I heard they were like $2700. But even still, great bike!! However for a bigger dude, like myself, a tapered headtube is realllllly nice. Which is why I went the ASR-5. The steering is just that much tighter and the front end is just that much stiffer.

11. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    ASR-5 is sweet. I see they did not make the carbon in an XL. Did you get the alu?

12. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

Yea man it really is! I love it. I got the Lrg alu version, and its a perfect for my long torso'd 6'2" body. So for the fit its just going to be a personal preference thing.

13. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Video Editor
    I understand how larger tires in the dirt would help, but would a 29er actually make a big difference? ( I have a feeling this debate goes over like the Synthetic motor oil discussions do on motorcycle boards....) ](*,)

and im most likely going to buy used. Im good at finding essentially new things for very good prices

14. spanishdirtrider

spanishdirtrider New Member

for xc racing id recommend the anthem. its a 4" travel bike and its really light
    you could also check out transition covert. it has more travel, but its more of an all around bike

15. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Video Editor
    Who makes those bikes? Im always open to bike ideas for sure.... the biggest issue with boutique type bikes is I cant usually just go out and try them in a shop...

Im kinda starting to lean toward the Giant Trance. It seems there are a fair amount of them on the used market for a decent price.

this is a decent example of one for a grand...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1896941383.html

16. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Video Editor
  17. g-dub

g-dub Member

About the 29er thing: You're right that it's a can of worms on the board, but at 6'3", you ought to ride one before picking. Santa Cruz Tallboy/Specialized Stumpjumper 29/Niner whatever/Fisher something.

I'm going to agree with the poster above that suggested you're talking about racing Super D. Either of the bikes you rode, or the two I mentioned, would be fine, though the best choice on a given day would depend on the particular course, and on your personal preferences.

18. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    The Giant Trance is a good choice. Avoid the Anthem (also Giant) it's a great xc racer, but I think you seem to be looking more for an all-mountain, hard to destroy rig. I won't even go into the 29r thing. What's funny is people say "You're tall, have you ever considered a 29er?" I say, "You're short, have you ever considered miniature golf?" Tried a good 29r (Titus) - hated it. And since you asked, Transition is made by....Transition. Semi-popular bikes on this board.

Buy the Trance - figure out what you really like in mt. biking and change later if the passion consumes you.

19. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

+1 on Giant Trance. Great all around bikes. The right price and style for entry level XC and Super D racing.

20. etard

etard New Member

plumber/ bartender: all aspects of your flow
    WOW! Those are both good deals, personally I would go with the CL deal as it has better components, maybe offer $900?

I recomend getting a Giant XC bike like the Trance, they offer a lifetime guarantee on the frame, so if you bust it, just get a new one!:beer: I seriously doubt you will blow through a frame though, unless you do something really wrong. I take my XC Specialized off some pretty good jumps and land really bad sometimes with just bottoming out sounds, never cracked it across a rock, so that might be the ticket. #-oIf you are commuting to work, might want to think about an extra wheelset to mount road tires on and definately a rear lockout. If you don't have the funds now maybe wait till around Christmas time for some proper deals.