Geoman (September) Light Demos...

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Dino Brown, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    I got yer feedback. . . . right here! :lol:

Well, you know I'm always up for the local goods (Tapia). I'd want to do some recon on G-Out to make sure it's good-e-nuff, or we can always cobble together other routes. Believe it or not, there are still more trails there you haven't been on :wave: the good thing abot this area (other than it's in my backyard) is that I can easily tailor the ride to suit the group and even change it up on-the-fly if need be.

Ojai. . . . Sisar to Gridley at night would be somewhat of an epic for a night ride. What would be more appropriate would be an out-n-back (up-n-down) on Sisar. I have done that several times at night (I have ridden Sisar more times at night than I have in the daytime) and even though it is all fire road, a 9 mile 3,400 foot descent is always a hoot. The first time I rode Sisar was a February night and there was snow the last couple miles near the top. It's generally 'do-able' most of the year. The way I would plan it is to be able to ride up during the last hours of daylight and get to the saddle just as the sun is setting (you can see the ocean and the Channel Islands if it's not cloudy), and then descend in the dark. And since that would be a bit of a drive for many, a Saturday evening might work out best. Post ride grub session at the mexican food establishment in Santa Paula is a fine way to top the whole thing off.

OR, we could do a Gridley out-n-back. My hesitation with doing this as an STR ride is that I love the whole Sisar-to-Gridley loop and I have not had good luck getting an STR ride (other than for us locals) together out there. So, if I do get a gang to head out that far, I feel like I'd like to serve the whole meal rather than something 'a-la-carte' if you get my drift. Still, a Sisar ride by itself is 18 miles and 3,400 feet so it's hardly just a 'snack' (at least for mere mortals such as moi).

Big Bear: You know I love me some BB as much as the next guy, but the window of opportunity for that being 'nice' for a night ride is going away quickly. I don't know how many would make the grind up the hill for a night ride either, but you never know unless you float it out there. . . . .

Hurkey is a blast day or night, but that place can get damn cold at night even this time of year. I have camped there several time in September for the 24HOA races and it can be very pleasant or literally a windy-frostbitten-miserable bee-otch. Great trail for night riding though.

Sycamore/Mugu? I've done several night rides there and it's OK but the trails are kind of generic for my taste, and I'd rather do Sisar just because it's more 'out there'. Sycamore is lower elevation though and won't be miserable cold if the weather cools off elsewhere.

I've only ridden Chesebro once at night and we went in from the Alberson fire road side, somehow fit Dead Cow in there. My memories are not fond #-o As I was hitting the bottom of a good sized g-out, my foot slipped off of my pedal and I suffered a rather unpleasant top-tube-intrusion, so that has always colored my impression of the place :-({|= I'd bet Shudder knows some good routes in there though :bang:

In case you can't tell, my choices would be Tapia or Sisar.

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Ride *WITH* Geoman! :bang:

Saturday
    October 9, 2010
    The Luge
    7:00pm
    RSVP: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=3046

Parking may (or may not) be an issue!
    If you can carpool- please do!

Special offers (on new lights):
    -$5 off any purchase over $85 (use product code STR$5)
    -Free helmet mount with purchase (type "STR free helmet mount" in comment box)
    $100 worth of product for $85
    http://www.geomangear.com/

Any plans on selling the demo lights?
    Due to the fact many STR members have chosen to "contact/harass" Geoman (via emails), it has been decided the lights will indeed be sold! Those who have ALREADY contacted Geo will have first dibs (please, no more emails). Those who attend the Saturday *RIDE* will be given the opportunity to purchase them. All remaining lights will be up for grabs!

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A DEMO LIGHT, CONTACT DINO BROWN (not Geoman)!

(25) Model 900 demo lights... $60 with free helmet mount!
    Lights will be sold with "new and improved" Series 2 batteries!
    Most were in NEW or "near new" condition when (I) received them!

(5) Model 1400 demo lights... $90 with free helmet mount!

(5) BRAND NEW Model 900's.... $85 with free helmet mount! ($100 value)

And NO, I am not on the payroll! :)
    (Just a guy trying to bring people together)

3. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

Looking forward to the Luge this weekend!

4. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

Couldn't wait, I ordered and the light set should be delivered tomorrow.

5. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Dino - are you going to draw numbers if more takers than lights? ;)

Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night - riding in the dark with the hubby and drinking beer after!!

6. Dino Brown

UPDATE:

All of the lights have reserved!

If you are interested in joining the RIDE, please contact me!
    I "may" be able to scrounge up an extra light or two...

Extra lights
    1. Do NOT show up post-ride (hoping to purchase a light)!!!!!!
    2. Those who have already contacted me have first dibs
    3. If (by miracle) lights are still available, I will post a list of what's available (first people to contact me AFTER I POST get the lights)

7. Dino Brown

8. crashergs

crashergs New Member

Carpenter
    Dino,

Thanks for reserving the two 1400's, sorry for me being tardy, I got kinda lost :)

:wave:

9. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    bum-pity, bump, bump....

hhmmm Monday 2:30PM?? Just wondering...

I know we got home sometime close to 12:00 (and we live right by the restaurant...) Curious to see how the bike and all survived... Huge thanks to geoman lights for saving me from the dark as all my lights stopped working at the flag :eek:

'cause you KNOW it did happen if there are no pics...

20100211_034030_Useless_Thread_.jpg