Garmin Edge 305 Questions (merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dukethenuke, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I saw Costco is selling the 305 with heart rate for about $170. Does anyone know whether this can be upgraded to include cadence?

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

probably not, but you can always buy it separately. Does anyone even use the cadence thing?

3. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    You can always buy the speed/cadence adapter separately from a number of places. It will work with the 305. All 305's support HRM and speed/cadence. I find cadence to be of more use on my Road bike.

4. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

Yeah, I was looking to use the cadence feature for road bike. I have some prior year cash back from Costco that I may be able to use for this product but I'd like the cadence feature, too.

5. UCLAallDay

UCLAallDay New Member

NP
    I'm trying to resist buying one of these, I spend too much money on my bike, and I've only had it for 2 months. I wish I didn't buy my cateye micro wireless a month ago. I'll probably get it with next pay check and give the cateye to my buddy.

6. jbbarrette

jbbarrette New Member

Risk Control
    Just ordered mine! Can't wait to get it.

7. davidB

davidB Active Member

anyone know if you can get the screen replaced? just the plastic cover that gets scratched up quite a bit if you flip your bike over on the dirt lol

just surface scratches

8. UCLAallDay

UCLAallDay New Member

NP
    I'll definitely be ordering one next paycheck on the 15th. It looks like I'll be riding solo for a while, 3 out of 4 of my riding buddies are hurt, and the 4th buddy's wife is due any day now, so he'll be locked up for a bit!

9. TMS

TMS New Member

I am about to send mine back to garmin due to it shutting off on every little bump. Hopefully I will have bette luck with the next one.

10. davidB

davidB Active Member

Widely known problem^^^^

They all get that problem sooner or later. Something to do with a temporary loss of power with the battery.

11. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Couple of Q's:

1) Do I want the autopause ON or OFF??? I stop A LOT so it would be great to have stats on BOTH my total time and it would be also useful to get stats on my moving time? I read something on one of the pages about not wanting it because of the software??? huh??? :?:

2) What's the point of the "Lap" function? What does this do with my stats? Can someone explain the functionality of this feature briefly?

THANKS!

12. jbbarrette

jbbarrette New Member

Risk Control
    I have the autopause on, and have no issues with the software. Tells me riding time with stop and without, I would definelty turn it on.

As for the Lap feature, well you can do a few things....1 is if your racing and doing multiple laps of the same course, by pressing the Lap button each time you pass the finish line you will then be able to tell on the software the pace and speed and whatever of each individual lap. Also, say your riding Aliso so your timing your entire ride, then you roll up to Cholla and think to your self "i'd like to know how long it takes me to climb cholla", well you press LAP at the bottom of Cholla and press it again at the top of Cholla, and when you get back to your computer, you can see how long it took to climb Cholla as it is counted as a "lap".

Hope that helps

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I have autopause turned on I figure that way I can see the time spent riding. I have no idea which is better.

The lap function allows you to break down a single ride. Say you do to loops you can lap and see the info for each lap along with the total of the whole ride.

14. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    Problem with incomplete recording.

O.K. I bought one from Costco. I've used it twice. The first time I turned it on but forgot to push "start". Nevertheless, it recorded time but only 10 miles of the 26 mile ride. On my second ride I pushed "start" when I started and it recorded 7 miles of the 23 miles I rode. The screen isn't going dark, it's simply not storing the data. The history shows that it started at the time that I pushed "start". I haven't loaded it to the computer so I don't know if it's turning on and off or if it's just turning off. I'm using auto pause for what it's worth.

Also, it's not telling me the grade.

What am I doing wrong? Is it broken?

15. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Salesman Section 42 LIHTC
    How many courses can the 305 store? I had trouble downloading another course so maybe the internal memory is full. I think there are about 10 courses stored already.

16. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Calorie Counter

So I've been reading over the motionbased forums and googling the garmin edge 305 calorie counter. I have some questions that I have not been able to find answers for. (BTW, I know calorie counts on devices aren't the most accurate and I knowthere are disagreements about the best way to calculate calories, I'm just looking for some consistency based on my HR and how hard I am working. I know I cannot acheive accuracy so precision is my next priority).

1) Are the newest Edge's still calculating calories based on speed, without regard to HR? (Including any firmware updates)

2) If so, is there any software that will take your info and calculate calorie burn once you upload all your data?

3) Is there any software out there that will take into consideration ALL calorie output (not just when you are moving) and discern between total calorie output and moving time calorie output?

I hate to think that I'll be using both the edge and the polar for rides. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

17. jbbarrette

jbbarrette New Member

Risk Control
    sounds like yours is not working properly sweetpea, without being able to play around with it myself, I would say return it and grab another one. I've been using mine with no problems at all for atleast a month, with autopause on too.

Rwmagnus, I think you can download 50 courses, if you go to the Garmin website, it tells you there.

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Communication issue.

Anyone have any idea on why of late I have constant communication issues with my garmin? It seems like I have to unplug and plug it a bunch of times to get it to upload?

19. jbbarrette

jbbarrette New Member

Risk Control
    not sure, but in the mean time have you tried using "receive from device" icon on the top bar of the software to force a transfer?

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Yeah but it only works some of the time. Its hit or miss.