Fully Loop Social and Tea Party

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by genusmtbkr5, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Loopy

No worries Brewmaster -- Dino has not been beat -- let me quote him.

Dino -- Elvia if people knew someone like you was riding the loop -- more people like you would join us thursday's.

I think Dino is great!

I just like Traci hope people understand I am not being negative. I am just passionate about newbies and getting people out to ride in a friendly setting.

Thanks to Gene and everyone that ride on thursday's.

Traci are you coming? A lot of people would be happy if you did.

Let me know my bike is in the shop. It might be ready tomorrow it might not. I need to start begging Pato for a bike about now.

Elvia

2. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

I might have to come out tomorrow night and show you guys what being slow is all about! :) I hope I can get out of work early enough to make it... !

I just went for a run and the nights now are just PERFECT. I love this time of year. It freaking rocks!!! :bang:

3. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    i will bring a extra lite for the needy.

4. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

YAY! :)

Can I have dibs on the light? :wave:

5. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

1) :eek: I won't be sweeping on Thursday! Riding with CBHarping! :bang:

2) Nothing anyone can do about it- the ride naturally splits into a couple of different groups. Gene and I have devoted much discussion to this matter. The idea of walkie talkies have crossed our minds. I have two--- might bring them along!
    STR word of the day: Teamwork!

3) The issues I have:

A) If the group sweeping is slowed down by mechanicals, I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS tell a faster rider to ride ahead an notify the main group to continue without us! Teamwork!

B) If the group sweeping falls too far behind, I make a point of telling someone to ride ahead and notify the MAIN GROUP to either wait for us at the next stop (OR) that we will be cutting off a section in order to meet with them at the top of "THE DOWNHILL." Teamwork!

C) Just last week, a new person joined the group! Somewhere after the golf course, he decided he wanted to take a COMPLETELY different route from the rest of us. There was NO changing his mind! And YES, I was pissed!!!! Teamwork!

D) On two occasions, I was sweeping and noticed riders (way off in the distance) backtracking/cutting off sections without notifying a soul. WTF? :?: Teamwork!

E) At the Railroad section: Some people choose to skip the golf course/dam altogether! Which group does the sweeper (who is 10 minutes behind the main group) ride with? :?: Teamwork!

F) I have a few more gripes. I am not offended in any way. I am enjoying this discussion. I am also looking forward to the inevitable ROASTING I will most surely receive! :D

P.S.- Note to Traci... Newb's... Lurker's..... The Fully Ride is a Social Ride. Nothing to be fearful of. With a group this size (i.e. 20+) we simply have a few issues we need to work out!

6. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    i will save it for you Lamba drive.

7. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    To make riding easier as a group, I think Walkie talkies will make things much easier. They are cheap and I find it very useful when riding. They are like 25-50 bucks and I see them at Costco for like 60 bucks for two.

8. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Elvia - Neil is going for sure, I how-ever have to ask my brother if he can watch Madeline. His wife's not keen on short notice. Plan on no - this week (to be safe).

I've got lights and will really try to make this ride :bang:

Dino - Gene - Tim - Sam and every other rider struggling with how to keep the group together. I can only imagine what a difficult position you are all put in at these rides.

Your there to ride, be aware of other riders and take care of the rest of us, I appreciate all the thought you are putting into making the ride fun for all. I now have a much clearer view of what the Fully Loop Ride entails for someone who's not worried about holding back the group.

I will come out very soon, thanks again!

9. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    I'm guessing that if you show up with a smile on your face and say hi to any & all new/old faces you see, you won't get left behind!

It's hard to leave someone behind when you're pedaling along & BSing with them! :wave:

10. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    AGREE 100%

That's why there should always be someone fast enough to catch the main group and tell them to carry on to the next re-grouping point.

That person would not be aloud to join in anymore rides I post up! That's for their safety and the safety of others.

If they sign up for a group ride, then they have the responsibility to let others know what's up. Just because it's the Fully Loop doesn't give them the excuse to bail without notifying anyone. They could pull the same thing in other places more remote.

Always the main group, but designate someone to get them back especially if they don't know how to get back. That means someone has to sacrifice their ride, which you Dino my friend, have done plenty of times.

Thanks Traci. You know as much as I do that putting on a ride where alot of people show up to is difficult, especially when half don't bother to RSVP. You just don't know how big till you roll out. We are blessed that we have others willing to help out in these rides, cause there is no way you or I could ever do it alone.

One final note: Sweeping is not as easy as just riding along in the back. It is the sweeps responsibility to get everyone back. Ask yourself this, if you were riding somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, wouldn't you want someone watching the rear to make sure EVERYONE got back?

11. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Thanks Traci!

Traci - Hope you get to ride. I'll figure out my bike situation anyway. Just in case you do ride.

When you did the Beeks ride you inspired me to keep riding. Today you inspired me to keep riding the Loop on thursday's.
    I almost gave up my light to Lmdadrive.

Hope I see you on a bike real soon.

Elvia

12. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I will take you up on that offer. I gots to go meet Racin Jason tomorrow,that is the only thing that might hold me up.That is after 7:30 so I might bail early.

If I can, I will sweep, I am sore after todays ride, but dont want to let the legs get a big rest, need to keep them working.

13. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Amen Brother! :clap: :bang:

14. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    Oops brparts looks like Herald has dibs on the light.I might go look at some lights today

15. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

Anyone who sweeps should get free beer for their patience with the group! That being said I don't think I would do it even for free beer. Thank you Gene for all those times you've done it. Maybe there should be a Sweeper Training class to show us all how you do it and do it right.

Also, I'm a big believer in the buddy system. When I was trying to ride the loop after being off my bike for awhile I was WAY in the back and it was very discouraging. Knowing Gabe would be there to look out for me helped me keep going. A few times we told the group to keep going and we kept at our own pace. Which is fine by me. It keeps the group going and I am not alone.

16. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Cant make it over there today no truck for me I am stranded in RSM!

17. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    I was about to offer you a ride Jordan but with time constraints I don't think I'd be able to pick you up from Seal Beach and make it in time to Fullerton. I'll see ya Saturday at VQ :beer:

18. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

If you want, I could bring my big 14lb lights with me, that way you can ride with us. :)

It's your call.

19. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    Thanks Herald, Im leaving to ride it right now, so have at the lights, no need to lug the heavy weights. I am buying a set of lights next week so I can make some night rides.
    Thanks
    Danny

20. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

Sorry guys, I won't be able to ride today. Something came up.