Fully Loop Social and Tea Party

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by genusmtbkr5, Jan 4, 2008.

1. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    The last few times I road out there, nobody had a clue who was sweeping or how many seperate groups were riding.

I swear it is ALL Dino's fault. He always volunteers to sweep and then he takes a short cut.

Maybe the nighty-nite dark time gets him a little scared....? :?:

When I saw him riding the Santa Cruz Nomad, I was hoping all the Iron Horse demons would leave the poor boy. :wave:

I maximized my "Dino" efforts on color, bold, italics
    and smilies to get his attention

2. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Communication is certainly important. Radios would help this.

Additionally though, I don't think it is reasonable for a lap around the loop to take 2 hours or more. This is not a newbie ride and that is clear in the heading. Even more so, this has been a night ride for the past few months, making it that much more challenging.

It's nice to hold an overall slower pace than one might have when riding by themselves. But it seems like lately the the main group stays together well and it is only the sweep with a few stragglers in the way back.

If we know who the sweep is then we can wait for them to give the go ahead to roll. Lately, there hasn't always been a sweep.

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    When I ride the loop, it's been clear who the sweeper is and the group waits till I show. I haven't ridden there in a month so I have no idea how the rides have gone except from what I read here. I also editted the post to make clear that the early lap is going to be faster and there will be people dropped if they don't keep up. The pace will vary one week to the next.

Elvia, when people go on group rides that are not posted as a "newbie ride", then the pace will not be as newbie friendly as newbies would like, is what I'm referring to.

Not saying you do it cause I know you go out early, but I often find the slowest riders are the last to roll out, thus starting out behind from the start. By the time they catch up to the group, the group rolls and they never really get to catch up.

Some riders sign up for rides, then end up riding alone and say they are on their own, I've heard this time and time again, so why bother to sign up for a group ride if they're not riding in the group. As the normal sweeper on Thurs, I try not to leave anyone behind, but it's impossible if I don't know who is with the group. I often backtrack way back and ask the next group I come up to and see if they are in our group, then chase the tail end and get to the re-group. I don't mind that cause it gives me the chance to open up my lungs a bit ;).

I do appreciate your comments and not taking it personal or too serious at all. I only post this ride as reminder that the ride is still on. I haven't been there in over a month so I don't know what happened the past few weeks. I only read about it.

That's why I spend a lot of time putting together "newbie rides" like the one at O'Neill and Beek's to get new riders exposed to other trails and offer encouragment to them. I'm just saying that this ride never started out as a newbie ride, but newbies have always been welcome. Funny thing is when I've posted other rides that requires riders to be "advanced", I get intermediate riders that show up and I have never turned one away from a ride. I ride in the rear with them instead of the pace that I am would like to ride.

The first time I ever went on a big group ride was Andy's St Paddy's day ride last year. Why not before? Because feared I would hold others up :).

4. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Gotta agree with alot of that. If we're naturally falling out into two fairly defined groups, maybe having an unofficial earlier start for those that want to and then the regular 6:45 start for what's become the "normal" pace could help alleviate some of the separation (and subsequent confusion) thats been happening lately.
    I don't think this is that much of an 'organized' ride, per se - someone just had to make an official post for it, and Gene's the one that did. If anyone wants to go early, leave late and chase us, ride in a tutu, hey, it's all cool...let's just make sure we keep it fun and don't take it too seriously!

5. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Is that a promise or a threat Timmy?

6. jasonmason

Just wait 'till I have a birthday ride!:lol:

7. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

I'd really like it if someone could lend me a light on tomorrow, if not I could always bring my 14lb lights. :)

8. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    A Newbie at the Loop on thur

Thanks Gene!

Brewmaster who are U calling a STRAGGLER? I hope its not Julia's mom (I am kidding).

I am aware and understand the concern about the Loop not taking 2+ hrs. There can be many factors as to why the Loop took 2 hrs. Its not necessairly due to Newbies - we all know that.

True its stated this is not a newbie ride.

I don't really sign up anymore. Julia feels the need to ride the Loop on thursday's. Usually Dino and Fred are kind enough to ride with her.

I try to do my own thing. I also try to be at the parking lot before Julia. This might mean a shortcut.

I try to do my own thing... but there's always someone willing to ride with me. Its appreciated.

I just don't see any newbies slowing down the ride or showing up and causing a 2 hr Loop.

Its understood this is not a newbie friendly pace. Its just a social ride. ;)

There are so many types of newbies some can kick butt at the Loop.

I told you guys not to wait for me.

Hope I am not giving the other newbies a bad rap.

Elvia

9. genusmtbkr5

LV, You're not. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the Fully Loop. Although very fun to ride, I don't lose any sleep if I miss a week or 2 or 3 or 4..., kinda been busy training for another ride right now. ;)

10. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    I'm gonna get slack for this but oh well!

During the summer months this ride *looks* like a blast the "birthday rides" look even better, Not only do they look good but i've heard (Neil's towed his fair share of bevi's) they're a real gas. I would not know though..............
    He asks me to go with him on a regular basis, I refuse! plain old refuse, I will not make others wait for me! That being said he often chooses not to go.

Back to the summer rides.....The pictures & the 3 page rr's of every thursday ride are very inviting and seem to be a great place to meet, drink, eat, & ride with other STR members.It's very discouraging for me and maybe others to want to participate when it's made clear a 2 hr lap is to slow. My quickest lap was 2 hrs.

Isn't it about a social ride? Anyhow, Neil lasked me today if i'd like to join him and some others tomorrow night, I said "no".

My riding speed is not welcome....It kinda sucks- I'm sorry for being slow.....Maybe some day....

I keep getting a ton of slack for not riding my bike, what you may not understand is that I hate making people wait, I hate watching them tap their toes as I pull up and really need a break, and I've let it get to me.It's been very discouraging, actually to the point where I didn't like to ride my bike, now that's a real drag!

I hope during the summer months you'll once in a while slow the pace down, so the other slowbies like me can come join the fun.I want to ride with a group too.....

11. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

Is anybody going to do kickstand inspections on Thursday?:lol:

12. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    2 Hr Lap

Traci - Ride and don't worry about your time.

Don't worry the people that wait for you - they really do want to wait for you.

I'll start a new thread tonight about Newbies. I'll share what they have shared with me. Maybe people will understand more.

Ride the Loop with me tomorrow Traci. We don't really need to start early. I'll bring something good to drink on our ride (drink is only for newbies). I promise it will be fun.

PS. Traci it takes Brewmaster, Gene and Jasonmason 2 hrs to get thru the loop. ;)

Elvia

13. genusmtbkr5

I never said we do it in 2 hrs. If you look at the post, the 5pm lap I expect that to finish in 1 hr 15 min. I'm talking about the rides that I end up back at the lot at 9:30 when we often start at 7 and not 6:45 because of all the milling around. If we started on time and get done before 9pm that's fine. That would be a 2 hr and 15 min lap.

Like I said in my earlier post, I didn't do any group rides because I didn't want anyone to have to wait on me. I rode alone or with a few friends until last March.

The fact that it is dark out is the main reason why these laps take longer. We can't ride as fast and people don't have their lights ready or have none at all.

The 5pm lap is suppose to get the rabbits out there, but most can't make that start, so they show up to the 6:45 and want to hammer. Rides go both ways. Hammerheads should not show up for a posted "newbie" ride and expect not to wait either.

When I really want to ride my ride and stop when I want, hammer when I want, or stop and smell the flowers when I want, I ride alone.

14. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Just come along!!! I'm usually in the back of the pack with Pugz, Coleko, or Dino. I take my time! If people want to haul they can go right ahead.

15. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    What are you saying? That I'm slow, wait a minute I am slow and if you've got a problem with that....I don't really care. But I still like ya.

16. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Nobody can beat me at being slow :bang:

17. jasonmason

I didn't mean to come across as discouraging anyone not to join in the social rides...if it came across as such i apologize, that really wasn't my intent.

It really is great to get all levels of riders out on these rides, and regrouping really is not the chore that i might have made it sound like. Much of my concern stems from the fact that it is dark when we do these rides right now, and keeping the group together lately has, well, not worked too well. The last thing i want is for someone that might not know the loop too well to get separated, or might need help with a mechanical, or get hurt out there, and the group's already back at the lot or heading to roscoe's. Dropping lee a few weeks ago and not even realizing it until he mentioned it a few days later really got me thinking about this. That's the one of the big reasons I suggested maybe trying staggering the start for some, so that those that started earlier could go at their pace and not feel hurried at stops, and still not run the risk of being left behind when our sweeping doesn't work out too well. And that way we all just end up finishing around the same time, all catching up into one big group towards the end.
    I know I'm guilty of not always making the first lap to hammer one out early, and sometimes need to remind myself "dial it back, this is a social ride" too - sometimes i'm just having fun and get carried away!:)
    I think talking about it we can figure out a way that works so nobody that wants to ride feels left out...

18. Cougarbait

Cougarbait New Member

I'm in, Cupless..you're driving. Pato, you're slow.

19. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Thank You!

Thank you! thank you! I truley appreciate hearing the other side of the coin. I also appreciate the fact that you didn't take what I said as whinning - but rather took it as feedback to make the ride enjoyable for everyone.
    :clap::clap::clap:

20. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Traci, Elvia, others,

I didn't mean to come off as excluding anyone and I certainly want everyone to feel welcome. I'm sorry for making you feel excluded.

Gene explained it much better than I.

Come on out and we will have a great time!