Fullerton Loop - Mountain Bike Rider Hit By Vehicle

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Livepe, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Livepe

Livepe New Member

My friend Lani and I were riding the loop tonight and came across a rider who had been hit at the Euclid crossing before Laguna Lake. He was near the signal and it looked like the police and Fire Dept just got there. During our 2nd loop the street was blocked off and it looked like an investigation was going on. I asked one of the police officers about the man's condition and all he said was not very good. It looked like the small OCTD bus was involved and may have been the vehicle that hit him.

He was moving when we saw him. My thoughts and prayers go out the the man, whoever he may be. Anyone out there know who he is? That's always a very dangerous area to cross, especially during rush hour.

2. oldschoolpl510

oldschoolpl510 Member

Parts Guy Infiniti
  3. mooseindahouse

mooseindahouse New Member

Inside Trader
    Man I wonder how this could have happened? Just such a large vehicle to not see. So so sad.

4. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    Going out on a limb here, but may people tend to play down some of the fully loop, and that is why SO many get hurt. People get used to riding it everyweek and let their guard down. then BAM the fully loop strikes again! Gotta watch out people.

I hope the guy is OK, but it must have been bad if they airlifted him 2 blocks to ST. Jude.....

Sad.

5. zman

zman WTF ?

Wow prayers go out to the rider

6. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

This and in my opinion riding it at night. I realize they don't enforce it, but the signs in the parks you ride through state"parks and parking lots closed sunset to 7am". I just came home with my family, saw Euclid closed, then at the corner of Valley View and Bastancury, witnessed a rider not stop at the corner and rode along the curb right in front of a friggin big rig with dual trailers. I worry if the city will allow us to continue to ride bikes with some of the behavior I see here.

7. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    Hope he makes it.

8. Livepe

Livepe New Member

I am not sure what hill they are talking about in the article. The man was on the East side of Euclid, just on the North side of the traffic signal. I guess he could have been thrown by the impact. I do see many riders cross Euclid at times when I am waiting for a safe break in traffic, just pass me up. I am overly cautious and will stay that way!. I really hope this man is OK. I feel so bad for him as well as the driver of the bus.

9. fatboyone

fatboyone Keep the rubber side down

Our thoughts and prayers are with this rider.

The trails in Fullerton are only closed between the hrs of 12a-4a. If you are traveling through a park on a trail, the 'Closed at Sunset' signs do not pertain to the user. I have asked the Parks/Rec staff about this issue and that was their answer. This was also confirmed with the Park Rangers and P.D.

I am not even sure you can say this was a trail issue when the accident took place on a street where bicycles can ride legally all night with proper lights.

10. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I don't recall St. Jude as being a trauma center. I thought West Med, Mission, and UCI were the main ones.

11. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

Hope its something he can come back from.

Euclid always gives me the creeps. All it takes is 10 seconds looking in 1 direction before you could miss a fast car coming from the other. I've done that a few times. Mostly I end up at the light but I've also seen cars just run the yellow almost red because they were going too fast. Never fun to hear or see a rider down. Especially car vs. rider. Prayers to for this man and his family.

12. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    Hmmm you are probably right, Im not sure on that one. an airlift is no joke though.

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Sorry to read about this.

Most people who ride the loop know that crossing Euclid before Laguna lake is one of the most dangerous parts of riding the loop. You know, we all watch for traffic and then dart diagonally across Euclid. This is common.

However, where that bike is located, it appears that it's on the north side of Laguna road, on the northbound side of Euclid. It's quite possible that the impact occurred on the south side of Laguna, and the bike was thrown that far.

We all know that we are supposed to use the crosswalk signal at Euclid and Laguna. However, this is a very dangerous situation. Southbound Euclid traffic is coming around a bend to the signal and often at fairly high speeds, which makes you and the signal hard to see. The signal is apparently missed by many drivers, as I've seen many situations where they've run the red light. While we should never assume a driver is going to stop for a red light, in this location, it should be assumed that even if they do have the light - and you have the green - wait until all cars come to a complete stop. It's even worse when you have a green and there are no southbound cars - this is the situation where these cars often miss the red light and cause a close call. Again, I've seen it many times. I hate this signal!

Since I have a greater fear of crossing this street legally, I prefer to take my chances riding diagonally across Euclid. Where I can see cars from both directions at a great distance.

I hope the rider is OK.

14. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Sucks to hear the bad news. Lets hope he rides again.

15. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I have never ridden the fully loop.

I am too scared.

16. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Our prayers going out for this rider and bus driver. It would be awful to hit a biker or pedestrian either one's fault or not. Very sad to hear about this accident.

17. dirtydoug

dirtydoug New Member

Govt
    We also came across the cleanup scene at about 6:30. If the accident occurred at 5:15 then you're talking about dusk conditions, vehicles may not have been using their headlights, and it becomes even more difficult to look uphill for fast cars and then look south again. When conditions are that bad wait for the light. Euclid can be a dangerous section of the ride.

18. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    Are you talking about the spot at euclid that is a horse crossing as well as bike and pedestrian? I forgot to add that I hope the rider is safe and doing well.

19. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

No, north of Rosecrans. No crosswalk. 2 ways across, Be a salmon and ride north on southbound side of Euclid to crosswalk at Laguna Rd or just cross the street where the trail ends. I normally cross where the trail ends except when I ride with my Wife and or Kids.

20. Old and in the Way

Old and in the Way New Member

Well said Lee

Crossing right after the downhill ( to me ) is a safer spot for that very reason of seeing vehicles from a longer distance when they are on the straight parts of the road. As you remember back a few years ago the downhill use to go straight out into Euclid. The city changed it slow bikes down and send them paralell to the street under the elderberry tree. And also to add the walking trail to seperate bikes from walkers, horses. To me the farther north you go on Euclid the more dangerous it is to cross.