Freeride / Downhill

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by afgenkuong, Dec 13, 2009.

1. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I was just wondering; how do you get started in freeride and downhill?

I mean, do you buy a "cheap" (Take that term lightly) FR bike and start off on that?

Or do you use what you already got and abuse that until you break it?

Honestly, I don't really know where to start? Can't really get my bunnyhopping right. Flats don't feel like they have a place for me. I love downhill and such, I just don't really trust my self to do it. Does it really come down to trusting your bike and yourself inside and out? Just doing it on the spot?

I've kind of came to realize that if I just go for it- usually I can do it. For example, I'll be riding a new steep/techy trail with my friends. If we all stop in sections or stop before the hard(er) parts of the trail, I'll get phsyched out, even if its the second or third time I've done it. If we don't stop and I just go for it, (I might be out of control? I dunno) I'll clear it. Sometimes I'll look back and be amazed of how I did, took a bad line into a big step and even then I'll roll out of it fine- go into instinct mode, you know?

Jumps- can't do jumps for some reason. I'll get them down sometimes, other times I get catostrophically close to hurting my self. I'll be launching off of a jump and I'll come off crooked, launching my self into a bush, or I won't pop up right so the rear bucks. I've watched all the videos I could find, all the guides I could read.

Riding Shimano clips. I do have a set of Spesh pedals but got freaked out on them when I almost bucked my self OTB on the jump at the top of 5Oaks. Was wearing regular skate shoes (problem? will shoes with stealth rubber really make the difference?- I also think I tried to pull up with my shoes).

On a final note: Which looks better? A Trek Scratch 7 or a Specialized Big Hit II? Also, wheres a good place to practice jumps, DH sections? Do you naturally get used to riding steep sections? Steep sections is usually the big player in whether or not I'll shoot.

Edit: one reason I may be riding out of control is that I usually ride without my glasses (don't have contacts, getting them soon) in place of a FF Helmet + Goggles. Can see things, just cant see minute details.

2. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Just start ring tech stuff on what you have, if you cant keep your feet on your pedals without clips, take them off now !!!!, ride with flats for awhile and get use to using your legs to soak up bumps you want to be hitting things with your knees slightly bent and whole body loose.

A cheap bmx bike could do wonders in helping your bunnyhopping, bike handling skills

3. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Been using my brother's rockhopper to practice wheelies, front end wheelies, and stuff but have never taken it out on the trail.

I think I kinda gave up on the pedals soon because I couldn't pedal as fast as usual. Haha.

4. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    How I got really into this type of riding was to find myself a group of friends who were more experienced/skilled than me. I'd follow their suggestions and try to hit the same features they did. At a certain point, I outgrew my AM bike and built something a lot burlier.

5. AndrewG21

AndrewG21 Stinky Memeber

You will be fine with regular skate shoes for flats. I use them and they work great (as long as you have flats with big pins). I ride with these pedals and they are awesome to use for downhill and uphill for me. Just don't slip and get hit in the shins by them lol..

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...edals/Mountain/Wellgo-WAM-B25-Flat-Pedals.htm

And as far as 'cheap' freeride bikes go, i just got an 07 custom built Kona Stinky for about 1300 which is a great price for the bike. Keep your eyes open on pinkbike and ebay for good values.

6. Rockinthecasbah

as for bikes, it depeneds on what you like, i went form an iron horse 7 point, to boot r team , then recently went down to a bottlerocket and couldnt be happier, but i tend to ride a little bmxy, and take my hardtail down stuff people are riding on full DH rigs

7. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    I think you should buy this book called "Mastering your biking skills" by Brain Lopes.. its helpful to understand the difference, and how you need to have relationship with each bike for different type of riding. I read it all and relaized there was a few that I didnt even thought of before!

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mountain-Bike-Skills-2nd/dp/0736083715

8. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

GREAT advice. exactly that, though: ride with people that are better than you. I try and ride with people faster than me as much as I can. practice with the pro guys at fontana, ride with the crazy locals in mammoth, etc.

Also, I agree with ricky. if you're serious about getting more into riding DH/FR stuff, ditch the clips for awhile, and ride something techy. try your best to not take a foot off at all. you'll get used to it eventually. just last year I remember that same sketchy feeling when riding in flats.

finally, just get out and ride. get a group of friends who DH, organize shuttles and HaB's, and go ride.

Eventually, you'll start looking at things and thinking 'I can do that...'. then it's just a matter of doing it.

Also, it's a mentality thing. you CAN do everything, it is just a matter of whether you WILL.

9. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

10. DaBuDa

DaBuDa Banned

Student
    I just ride what I got, and ride the trails around me regardless of elevation,tech, etc.
    Its a AM Hardtail, good for XC, strong enough for AM/DH :bang:

11. Rockinthecasbah

another option, PM, and we can setup a fontucky play day, great way to get use to a little tech

12. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    I'd sign up.

13. AndrewG21

AndrewG21 Stinky Memeber

Ya same here, if anyone wants to host something like that. I'd like to get my feet wet in racing.

14. Rockinthecasbah

ill set it up, int he next week or two, if anyone has any dates in mind post up

15. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    I have the 21st - 25th off. thanks

16. big al

big al Still here

Model Crafter
    I have always wanted to get there, I don't know anybody really, but I would love to try to show up. I really want to learn from somebody.

17. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

I'm down for Fontucky if it's on a mon, tues, or wed.

18. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

hit me up ricky, I'm down to go jump off stuff.

19. Rockinthecasbah

todd your still alive ?

Who can do monday the 21st? Big Al, Afgen?

20. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

Take lots of trips to Mammoth, Northstar, Bootleg Canyon, Whistler, etc. Your skills will exponentially improve. Get a good FR/DH bike with 7-8" travel (I personally like 8" DH bikes with DC forks over 7" FR bikes with single crown forks for that kind of riding). After that, local trails will look a lot easy.