FR/DH Shoes

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by afgenkuong, Dec 16, 2009.

1. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Hey guys, looking to get some shoes to go with the flats I'm starting to get used to. Starting to get the feel for it... the real test will be tommorow when I go out and ride with my friends. :bang:

Anyways, I have three different shoes to pick from.

5.10 Impact 2 Low:
    -Tons of padding
    -Lots of big stealth traction circles
    -(I've read) Pretty efficient when pedaling
    -Look really bulky like hiking shoes (discerning from the pictures)

5.10 Freerider Grey/Black:
    -Casual look
    -Not as bulky as the 5.10's
    -Same stealth rubber as the Impacts
    -Less 'knobby' circles
    -On sale for $60.

Marzocchi Bomber:
    -On sale for $70 (?) on Jenson
    -Stealth rubber
    (?)

Anyone have any testimoials to any of these shoes? From what I've read and understood is that 5.10 Impacts are a lot stickier and grip better than the Freeriders. They also have more padding around the sides and having a bigger (protected) toe box. They are also stiffer than the Freeriders and tend to pedal better. I haven't heard much about the Marz Bomber shoes except good ratings. I saw one review that said that the Maz shoes were not built up as well as the Impacts but still performed exceptionally well. Right now I'm leaning towards the Freeriders because they are on sale, have the Stealth rubber,and look a bit more casual.

Any ideas or input?

2. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

3. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    you can go cheaper and go with vans. the waffle soles seem to stick like glue. not to mention vans make some pretty sick shoes.

4. wheel slayer

wheel slayer Damn Seagulls

I wear the 5:10 impacts and they are much better then the Vans I use to wear.

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

The Marz Bomber shoes is just a rebranded 5-10 impact.

I would get those or Impacts. I have not tried freeriders but I know you cant go wrong with impacts.

6. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    Go with the Impacts. Or, if you get the endless Pricepoint e-mails, they have the Renne (sp?) for 75.00. Only in sizes 11, 11.5, 12, though.

7. blender

blender = dirt torpedo =

cee gee soup
    quoted for truth
    impacts FTW!

8. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I have the Rennie and the Impact Lows. I never wear the Rennies they arent very comfortable with the mid top. I would either go full high top or low top, the mid top seemed to have the seam hit right on my ankle bone and bugged the hell out of me.

9. cid`

cid` booger flicker

just get a pair of pro wings

10. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Territory Marketing Manager
    Vans may do the job ... But do yourself a favor and buy the 5.10's like you plan. I have impacts and karver mids.

If you do slip of a pedal in a pair of Vans, you will wish you had the reinforced toe and heel cup. Ask me how I know.

11. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I started on Vans. They were good until I slipped. Compared to 510's- they suck. :)
    Oh and Vans get shredded very easily on good flats. My Bombers have held up very very well.

12. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Any problems with the stealth rubber getting shredded up? On the Spesh Lo-Pro's I'm using, I just traded out the short pins for longer pins. Will they tear up the rubber?

13. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    +1 for 5.10 Impact... only shoe I wear when riding, nowadays. Very comfortable and grippy. I do want to get a pair of the hightop ones. My Impacts (lowtops) seem to be trail debris magnets.

14. evdog

evdog Member

I still get some debris in my mid top 5.10s but not as much as the lows. Maybe they are magnets. Doesn't matter though, I wouldn't trade these shoes for anything. I used vans for years and thought they were good. They weren't bad, but as others have said they can't compare to the 5.10s.

I have no experience with any other 5.10 models but I've heard rumors some of their other lines aren't constructed as well as the impacts. The edges of the sole come away from the shoe in some cases. The impacts seem very durable. The rubber did get a bit chewed up from pins on my impact lows but that was with 2 yrs of heavy use. I won't complain about that.

15. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    The soles like anything else- do get worn out. BUT I have NEVER had any issues with my Bombers. The soles definitely look like they have been beat up. But no tread is actually missing. Unlike my Vans.

I am confident that you won't find any better shoes for flats. I don't know if it's just my shoes or others, but if you look at the sole from the toe front. There is an arch- looks like it was made to cup pedals nicely. I use the Low Pro mags on my DH bike- those are also one of the best pedals I've used. :beer:

Then again, I'm not a very good rider. So my words may have no meaning what so ever. lol

16. SlickShoe671

SlickShoe671 New Member

:lol: Bringing me back to the old days.

17. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    My vote would go towards the Bombers just because they are a bit less expensive right now then the 5.10's I want, that's why I picked a pair of Bombers up a couple months ago.

Since I have had them a short time I can not really comment on their durability but they seem to be well constructed. All I can say is they have tremendous grip on my Azonic 420's, have a nice stiff sole and the sizing on them is spot on, at least my pair was.
    They do feel a tad tight at first because the tongue is thick but the shoes break in quick and the tongue flattens after a couple times wearing them so it is not as bulky.

18. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I have been using Five Tens since they 1st came out (when they were actually branded and sold by Intense). I currently use the Freeriders for casual wear and at the BMX track. They are not as stiff and the soles are not quite as sticky.

I run the Sam Hill version of the Five Tens for DH. They do wear out and yes they wear out faster with the longer pins, but they stick better IMHO. I just run em until I wear the rubber off (usually only on the outside under the ball of my foot) and then I replace them!!!

You can't go wrong with any of the models, just pick on and go ride!!!

P.S. I wash mine in the washing machine and they actually get stickier after washing!!!

19. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

Gotta go with wheel slayer here. I was a 5.10 holdout for awhile (mostly because I didnt have the money for $100 pair of shoes). they are significantly nicer than vans for riding purposes. the vans are awesome, but they REALLY lack stiffness, and arent the most forgiving if you cram a foot into a rock at 20mph.

so, my recommendation goes to the marzocchi's if you can deal with grey/white shoes, or the impact high-top. I say high top because they do give a good bit of ankle support/protection. they are a little bulky, but I think it's worth it for that inevitable aforementioned foot-rock contact at 20mph. I had an incident at bootleg tha would've been much worse without that extra protection.

20. uconn1150

uconn1150 New Member

HS Teacher
    5.10 Impacts have been awesome especially on the HABs in the mountains. Very durable. I picked up a pair of Rennies for when my Impacts finally give up. 18 months and the sole is still pretty good with medium pins. +1 on the washing and getting stickier :bang: