Fox RP23 Air Shock Pressure Loss: Normal?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Waldo, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    The RP23 on my Yeti seems to lose about 10-15lbs of pressure every few days or every couple of rides, and it's done this from day one. I'll set it to my desired pressure, then it drops the 15 lbs or so, but doesn't seem to go further than that (though I've never let it go long enough to see if the trend continues). I don't recall how this compares to the previous shocks I've had on other bikes, but I don't remember having to top off that much.

Anybody else have the same experience? Does this seem normal for other shocks? Is it common to Fox or the RP23 in particular?

Thanks for your input.
    :wave:

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

It's most likely the gauge on the pump. The hose needs to be filled with air before the gauge registers. The volume of air in the shock is relatively small so you'll notice a lower reading when you reattach the pump.

3. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Everytime you screw a pump onto the shock, air from the shock rushes out to fill the pump hose(pressure gauge. This loss of air appears as a pressure loss from the shock. That is almost certainly what you are seeing and is normal for both air shocks and forks.

Beat me to it:)

4. bigpete61

bigpete61 New Member

Information Systems Analist

I may be wrong but I believe the pumps have a one way valve. Air should be able to go in but not come out. I would look into it some more before you assume.

Fox has avery good customer service system call them or email them and they will take care of you.

Good Luck!:beer:

5. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    thats not how it works. its not that air is leaking out, its that you added capacity to the system. since your volume stays constant, your pressure has to drop to fill up the extra capacity.

pv=nrt

6. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
    I fell victim to the same thing. The hose adds more volume to the shock thus lowering the pressure.`

7. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

I agree with the above 2 posters.....

8. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Only Very Very hi end shock pumps will do that, most LBS's wont carry anyting even close to something like that.

9. newpos

newpos New Member

student, car parker man
    for reassurance just get it rebuilt. $30-$35 at your lbs and usually a day-long job.

10. HUGH

HUGH Mashers Only !!

I burn metal
  11. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    So according to a few here every time I check the air pressure in my RP23 and I back the shock pump off the shock and it lets some air out, that is NOT letting air out of the shock?

12. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    No The hiss you hear is the air that is present in the gauge/hose when you unscrew the pump, as they have the same pressure as you have in the shock. The air loss that you are seeing is as air from the shock re-fills that same (but now empty) gauge/hose when you re-attatch the pump.
    :beer:

13. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    first off are you checking the pressure because your sag is to low and the shock feels soft or are you checking it for the hell of it. If you feel your shock pressure is low after a couple days it has a slow leak like my rp23 did. Your shock should hold pressure for more than a few days considering no extreme changes in altitude, I.e riding san juan then heading to Mammoth.

I know on my dhx every time you hook a pump up to it i loose about 5 to 10 psi thats why i fill mine about 10psi over, hook a gauge back up to it and its right at the pressure I want. Is that right? no but it works and does not leak, run it!

On the rocco coil that shock is designed not to give you a pressure reading they want you to put air in in and thats it, no reading will appear on the gauge when you reconnect it.

Invest in a good shock pump suspension stuff is not cheap.

Like a couple people said before you can call fox, if your shock feels good, sag is right and not bottoming and your going off the gauge dont worry about it. run it and enjoy

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

First off, if your running n air shock, you should be checking your pressure every time you ride anyways. Here is an easy check to see if its leacking. Hook up your shock pump, set at desired pressure, leave it overnight. Should be no more than 5 psi difference.