For the Over 30 Crowd...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by silverspot, Jan 30, 2008.

1. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    And does anyone that's live in the OC most of their lives remember a place called the Enchanted Forest i think it was in buena park.

Was that the same place as the Japanese Deer Park? Man, I loved going there and feeding the deer. If we were REAL good, Dad would take us to the go-kart / trampoline site near Beach Blvd for an hour after the feeding the deer.:clap:

2. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist

oh yeah! and pirate radio before they got bad? (oh wait...)

geez- KNAC was even just in Long Beach!!! Mandatory Metallica!:bang::bang::bang::bang:

edit: did you know that you can only put 31 images per post?!?!

3. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

Yea, I remember the Japanese Deer Park. I had fun as a kid there, then by high school it was a good place (cheap) to take a date. Towards the end I remember some of the deer getting overly aggressive. I guess they were relying on the vistors to feed the deer.

4. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

If we're going to talk 'Dittos' - what about the girls pants!? :D
    [​IMG]

and KNAC was best before it became metal. The metal station was great, but the station before that happened was in a class by itself.

5. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Toward the end? I went when it first opened up when I was less than ten y.o. and put my only nickel into the feed machine (actually a candy machine) only to get punk'd by a little deer that ran up and stuck his @#$%^&*'n snout right into the machine and sucked down all the pellets before I knew what hit me :protest:[-X

I was so PO'd at that little P.O.S. I was seriously considering b-slapping him right then & there :lol:

:-({|=

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I still have a picture of me and my sister at the Japanese deer park. One of the birds pooped on my brown leather jacket!!

Ahhh, trampolines and go carts!!! I grew up in Huntington Beach, used to go there all the time. However, my glasses liked to fall off and fall down in the pit while jumping!! :lol:

7. denmother

I spent all my time outside! When I was her age I had a stable of imaginary horses (whose names I got from my father's programs from the horse racing tracks). Oh, and a mini-bike. Then I graduated to a real horse and a real motorcycle!!! Plus there was roller skating, bicycle riding, horseback riding, motorcycle riding, surfing, ice skating, swimming, etc. I tell ya, having to come inside when the street lights came on in the winter was pure torture.

Oh, forgot to mention, reading books, Barbies (with plastic horses and a stable).

I have a picture of myself at my 5th birthday party. White frilly dress (yuck), Safari hat, gunbelt and a lifesize doll!!!!

8. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    so, you insisted that you dress yourself on that day? :lol:

(looking forward to that myself- kiddo's 6 months in 9 days)

9. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

That's the only way I knew how to play and have fun. Out and about until it got dark was the only way it could be. That or come home and watch Popeye, Get Smart or Wild Wild West on re-runs, which on rainy days was not a terrible option.

For that reason, I force my kids to go outside and play every opportunity I get. If it's light out and it's not raining, they're outside. For Xmas, I got my son a long board and he's been on that thing practically 24/7. He even took a nice little fall over the weekend and scraped-up his knee's, elbows, finger, etc. Small price to pay for having some healthy outdoor fun.
    I made (not physically) my 13 year old daughter sign-up for volleyball and basketball at school and it's been the best thing for her. She's lazy, if I let her be and a total epitome of a girlie-girl. Her version of exercise is texting, talking on the phone and walking around the mall spending dads money. She now tells me all the time that she's glad I made her do it but her tune was not so a couple of years ago. She thought I was the devil. Point being, sometimes kids needs a little nudge and encouragement. Please don't let your kids grow-up to be fat lazy couch potatoes. We have enough of them as it is. Just go into any Game Stop and see for yourself. I pointed that out to my son once and he was blown away. 90% of kids in there are fat beyond belief.

10. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Wow I am glad I go to EB Games instead:?:

11. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

Oh man... Zodys. Come on!

Blue chip stamps...

Remember the Zachry All commercials? I can still hear that skinny little guy's voice in my head. Richmond 9-4424...

Dr. Dimento at 9 on Sunday night was it? Fish Heads rocked!

12. denmother

Zody's!! We used to swap the sale tickets and get stuff cheaper!

Blue chip stamps, had books and books of them!!!! Gotta love the Blue Chip Stamp Redemption store!

Dr. Dimento rocked, is he still alive??? Favorite song: Dead Puppies. ;)

Wait, you forgot these:

• Party lines
    • Phone numbers that had 2 alpha characters instead of an area code, mine was VI (Viking)!

13. silverspot

Alls I know is that dead puppies aren't much fun...
    I also know that you can ask a fish head anything you want to, they won't answer, they can't talk...
    :bang:

14. ryandood

ryandood i ride bikes

Student
    You guys think you had it bad back then? I'm a 20 year old college student and at school if we miss class we have to go alllll the way online and pull off the notes that are posted before and after every class and read them all!! If I want to talk to my professor I have to go on the "internet" and email him using all my fingers to type!! My accounting class even has podcasts that I have to listen to entirely to get a whole session in!! And if I want to find a book I have to type into the library database which tells me exactly which floor and aisle it's on and I have to WALK there!!! Actually I probably take the elevator... but STILL I have to press which floor I want once I'm in there!!! With these types of burdens I'm not sure how you guys can complain...

15. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

EB Games, Game Stop, etc. All the same boat and same rule applies. You might be one of the few exceptions to the rule but you know I'm spot on.

16. denmother

17. silverspot

WOW! Sucks for you bro! ;)

You just made my day!:bang::bang::bang::clap::clap::clap:

18. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Dr. Dimento on Sunday nights was usually a gathering of friends filled with stupid laughs. That guy was out there but funny as hell!

While still in high school (John Muir in Pasadena), we used to ditch and go to Old Town at the original KROQ, just south of Green St. on Garfield and watch DJ's Richard Blade, Poorman, Jed the Fish and others from the early 80's era and wait like free loaders to get free Albums or cassettes (no CD's just yet), t-shirts and goodies. It seemed so cool back then. Again, maybe it was all the pot that glorified it all. Visine was to pot what water is to fire. "Dude, do you have any Visine? I can't go to class like this, look at my eyes!" "Wow dude, you're so waisted!" :lol:

19. back_of_the _pack

back_of_the _pack Slow and Steady

Who was RI 9=3434?

I grew up across the street from Zody's in HB, all I had to do was run across Edinger without getting hit to play some pinball.

20. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    OK, I'm pulling a few of these out:

Little Orphan Annie secret decorder ring. (Stupid thing broke in 1 day after waiting 3 weeks for it to come in the mail)

The debate over who was better: Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers? (Sci-Fi) Even at a young age, I loved the female's (Dale Arden) skimpy clothes and bra. They stuck out like twin machine guns!

A Red Ryder BB gun with a real wooden stock. I wanted one in the worst way... and yes, when I got one I shot my eye out! Actually, the BB hit me just under the eye.... I told my mother I ran into the door. She took the gun away.... How did mom's always know when you were lying????