Race Report Fontana City Nationals/Cal Gold State/Triple Crown/Kenda Cup West #3

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Bryguy17, Mar 26, 2011.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

The Flyin' Fossil's Race Report

So, since my husband doesn't do his own posts, I will do one for him.....

Since I crashed in my 1st practice run I sent Roger off to practice on his own Sunday morning. He gets so worried about me I wasn't sure if I could convince him to go practice and then race without his concentration being hindered. So, off he went to try and master the entire course without stopping. The last technical "chute" was very taxing and then the pedal to the new bottom rock garden leaves you out of breath and the timing for the double at the bottom is crucial. Roger had tried it several times and had cased it and then finally mastered it at the end of practice. I congratulated him and then headed up in the Rhino with Donny so I could watch the races. I watched the Sport Women from the top of the hill and them limped my way down the asphalt to the lower chute to watch the Expert and Pros race.

Roger was positioned last in his class so the anticipation was a little more than usual. Two of our ex-teammates from No Brakes Racing, Randy and Les Price came out from Arizona for the race and were seeded before Roger. To my amazement, I watched both of them go over the side and through the orange safety fencing. Randy was okay and eventually finished his race run. At that point I started praying that Roger would have a clean run. Then Les attempted to get back on the bike and crashed again at the lower section. His bike went flying by me about 1 foot away and about 30 mph. My life flashed before my eyes at that point and there was nothing I could do! So glad it missed me. Fortunately it was off to the side because here came Roger right behind him. He made it down safely and looked pretty smooth. I attempted to get a photo but only got his head in the frame, DOH! He then proceeded to pedal to the lower section and was so winded that he cased the jump but managed to save it. All in all he had a good time and ended up 4th. So proud of you honey!!!

Thanks Andy and Bryan for the photos!

Attached Files:

2. SuperDKim

SuperDKim New Member

Office Mang. MBZ Repair Shop
    Great Job Roger!!! Way to hold it together! Nice Pics!

3. HardCharger

HardCharger Where's the singletrack?

Attached Files:

4. whybother

whybother New Member

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

6. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    Not a problem man. I don know if you heard me yell back but like I said out there its your race course. I probably should have had it a little farther off the trail anyway. I just didnt think anyone would be riding up the rocks in the rain. Just glad I got it moved in time so I didnt mess up your race run too much.

7. SADJ

SADJ New Member

From your report...

"He sat up and offered me the trail and I said "No dude, it's yours, you got it." I am so stupid. The guy had a Sho-Air kit on and a 6 on his calf. The only battle I had lost to him was the battle for 4th place in the 30-34 group that started 2 minutes ahead of us."

That would be me... And I had fun running with you and Brian for the last two laps. When you originally passed me on the last little pitch before the back ST section I knew you were in a race with Brian and I didn't want to get in the way. Being only my second Cat1 race, (and 10th race period in 2 years), I'm just having fun running with the "fast" guys and learning how to race at this level. With a 1 and 3 year old at home and "training" (I use the term loosely) about 6 hrs a week, I'm pleasantly surprised to be reasonably competitive in Cat1. I know I have a little genetic help as my younger brother races pro.

When you and Brian first passed, I was thinking I might be getting some quad cramps but when you went by I thought I would try and hold your wheel- some motivation if you will. Thankfully I know the trail well at Fontana and I was able to hold your pace. In fact, I was enjoying observing the differences in a 26er vs. a 29er in the certain sections. In some spots, namely the stutter-bumps into corners or long sweepers, I could close on you. In other spots, some of the tighter corners, you could gain ground. It was fun to see as we pulled Brian back. In any case I just wanted to have some drafting help on the backside in order to hopefully close the gap with my competition who was in 3rd behind Ty and Marco. The last trip up the wall was a bit painful but I held your wheel and almost gave you a little bump over the last rock at the top... I think I said something encouraging like "go, go, go" or something stupid, when in my mind I was screaming the same thing at my self. At the top I wanted to hold your wheel as it seems that two can get through traffic better than one. Don't know if that's true, but it seemed to work out. Down the back side with my sorry butt in tow and I decided to pin it on the flats- as both you and Brian were too it seemed. Up that last steep little pitch I saw the whole thing unfold- the slower traffic went left as did the two of you and I though why not stomp it up the right rougher side and let my big wheels claw for everything they could? It worked out better than I had hoped and I ended up in front of you guys at the top. Not wanting to get in the way of a sprint finish for you and Brian I offered the trail. I thought you knew that I wasn't in your group... LOL. But you were gracious so I decided to go flat out till the end just trying not to get in the way. I knew I wasn't going to catch my guy at that point anyway. After we crossed you gave me a good word- thanks for that. I had fun. Turns out the guy I was chasing, Brian, ended up catching Marco right at the end for 2nd place. I got 4th but was only 33 sec out of 2nd place myself. I was pleased. Fun racing indeed! Now if I could only close the gap on Ty.... LOL.

If you end up coming out to Sycamore this weekend, I'll try and give you a pull for a little while this time.

So- when you passed me at Bonelli, I tried to stay with you and couldn't. This time I did a little better. We'll forget about the 2 min gap you closed on me if that's okay with you. :)

8. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    took a few pics at the race. is this julia?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:
  10. whybother

whybother New Member

yeah if you can run at that pace with only 6hrs a week training... that is awesome! certainly some genetic gifts going on there. wish i had that!!! :)

hope to see you at sycamore. i don't know if i will pass you on course or not, but good luck out there!

11. Dazs

Dazs New Member

12. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Just read this on Adam Craig's blog on Cycling Dirt - http://www.cyclingdirt.org/article/5859-Adam-Craig-Update-Cali-Spring-Racing-2011

Thought it was worth posting here and hopefully more evidence from riders that the new Super D courses at Fontana should be the norm.

Adam Craig -
    There was one more chance for good times and competitive success in Fontana though. The Super D. Normally the Fontana Super D is kind of a waste of time for me, a mass start on what is essentially half a lap of the XC. If that had been the case this year I’d have skipped it and had time to shower before my flight north. But, as a little birdie named Joe Lawill told me on the Rads ride the week prior, they’d made a LEGIT course. Starting from the high point of Southridge park, it took in some sweet skinny trails I didn’t even know existed before hopping on the Sport Class DH course and finishing along the Short Track circuit. I borrowed a panty dropper seatpost and put a short stem on my Anthem Advanced to enhance it’s (ample) shredding abilities and charged my race run. I was fastest down of the XC guys with a 5:47. As I was changing and getting ready to head to the airport I heard Waylon Smith’s time at 5:45. Nice work, Waylon. Then, Brian Lopes came down, he did a 5:35. Dang. That’s fast enough that I almost can’t claim fatigue from the 2 hour XC race that finished 2 hours before the Super D as an excuse. Would he?