Flagstaff / Sedona / Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oskin100, Aug 19, 2015.

1. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Sorry if posting in the wrong location?

My family and I are taking a week long trip out to Flagstaff / Sedona / Grand Canyon. We are going to use Flagstaff as our base camp on go on adventure from there we are planning to go at the end of September through the beginning of October +/-. I was wondering if any of you had some loop recommendations for me? I am in decent shape. I ride around 10 hours a week and really dig on 3+/- with 5-7K of climbing. But I doubt ill be able to get that in everyday and in reality will probably be just squeezing it in the morning time.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Also HT or FS for the terrain?

Thanks in advance.

pinnacle10 likes this.
  2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Flagstaff and Sedona have nothing but great trails. I have done more than one trail review on flagstaff and Sedona trails you use my name and search on this site.

Flagstaff:The trails on Mt Elden and Little Eden tend to be on the rocky side to full blown freeride. Fort Valley Trail System is cross county. AZ trail goes thru Flagstaff with the best section called the peaks sections or as locals call it Aspen Corner. A must do.

Sedona some tech mostly rocky cross county just pick a trail not a bad trail in town. My Favorite loop is Mescal, Cockscomb, Arrie, Chuckwagon.

Grand Canyon South Rim: I have rode the AZ Trail Section of Grand canyon and found it OK but mostly just same old mile after mile of pine forest. Park at Tusayan there is a trail to AZ Trail or just ride into the park from there. I liked just riding the pavement and being able to stop and sections the busses did not stop at. That way you can enjoy some solitude out there. Unless you are staying at a motel in the park they will not let you drive your car out there during the summer. You have to use the buses which makes it hard to get away from the masses. If you know how to do it you can take dirt roads into the park to ride AZ Trail.

3. Pilas

Pilas Member

I was in Sedona last May and the riding out there is fantastic. I did a slight variation of the following loop, which was suggested by Dean (dstepper).
    Park where Mescal Trail crosses Long Canyon Road: TakeMescal East to Chuck Wagon turn North (left). Chuck Wagon north to Gunslinger go East (left). Take it back to Long Canyon Road to Mescal Connector and turn West (right) on Mescal. Go to Deadmans Pass turn Southwest (left) go thru parking lot stay on Deadmans, cross Boynton Pass Road (pavement) that is the start of Aerie. Stay on Aerie and turn South on Cockscombs. Follow Cockscombs all around Doe Mountain until you get to the top parking lot and get back on Aerie. Descend Aerie again to Cockscombs intersection you passed before. Take Cockscombs same direction as before (turn right) go to Dawa turn East (left).Go to AZ Cypress turn North (left), Go to Snake and turn Southeast (right). Goto Girdner turn East (left). Use Chuck Wagon to go over the pavement on Boynton Pass Road and Chuck Wagon continues on to other side of the road. Chuckwagon willtake you all the way back to Mescal where you turn East (left) and right below where you parked.

4. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

Check out Absolute bikes in Flagstaff, really cool people for routes and maps. They also have an organized ride early in the morning (I believe is on Tuesdays) is like 3hrs long. Great memories...

5. evdog

evdog Member

As others said there is lots of great riding both locations. You could also stop in Prescott for a day or more, or Kingman to break up the drive. AZ riders have been really good about putting trails up on Trailforks.com so that is a good place to start your research.

For Flagstaff it is hard to beat the Arizona Trail, lots of great routes you can do as out and backs or loops combining it with other trails. The segment from lower Snowbowl to FR418 (Aspen Corner which Dean mentioned) is one of my favorites anywhere, great as an out and back, awesome views, really fun trail, and you ride through some nice aspen groves that might be turning colors. AZT from Snowbowl to Schultz Pass is great as well, and makes an awesome loop with Schultz Creek or other trails. AZT south of town is great too near Fisher Point and Walnut Canyon. Lots of other trails to make loops with. Mt Elden has a huge variety of trails as well, everything from buff to legit freeride trails.

6. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

The Mescal Aerie Loop is awesome. Include the recently adopted Canyon of Fools. It is towards the end of Mescal and drops down to the left.

I also like Slim Shady-Templeton-Easy Breezy-over to Mystic-Hogs-etc.

7. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Awesome thanks for all the information! I cant wait.