Fixies in Aliso

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by foofighter, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ryandood

ryandood i ride bikes

Student
    I ride with one leg rolled up at least 5/7 days of the week. I don't ride fixed but as everyone has experienced, it's a PITA to get your pants caught in the gears!! I also fail to see the direct correlation between rolled pants and emo-ness. By those standards I am about 25% emo but you will seldom find me crying in the dark corner.

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Using well-honed skills is a rush whether it's the fixie scene or rolling over boulders in Noble Canyon. It's all good. :beer:

3. LORDHELP

LORDHELP BLUE COLLAR

The way i see it is one of these kid found there parents batamax tapes of QUIKSILVER.Growing up in huntington beach i seen all these lame fads frist hand.From emo to hardcore,this will all pass when somthing kooler comes along.hopful its soon iam tired of all these guy waring wicked tight pants.

4. Seat Sniffer

Seat Sniffer New Member

When you start taking luxuries away from the bike your body has to do more work to compensate. kinda like single speeding mtb. Given that I haven't had as much time to ride lately as I would like to, I reach for my fixed gear or SS before anything else. Speaking of which, would anyone be interested in trying this?

http://www.sdvelodrome.com/

5. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

saw 3 of the tight pant wearing guys on katella off the 55 in villa park today they're everywhere...or maybe i never noticed? :?:

6. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    Yo Sniffer, I'm in the Wednesday night class right now. You should sign up for the next session which starts in May.

I'm contemplating doing some track racing when the Tuesday Night sessions start. :-k

But that means buying a "true" track bike, which means more money. #-o

7. Bert

Bert Member

Anyone want a drink?

Attached Files:

8. singleminded

singleminded I poached, and got busted

Something I don't like
    Well

I am slowly putting together a fixie as we speak.....just a few more parts :bang:

9. Bert

Bert Member

While you wait for your parts, let me get you something to eat.

Attached Files:

10. Kevedge

Kevedge New Member

Machine Shop
    Home Page:
    HAHAHAH, this thread is funny. I dont have time to read through 4 pages of people either talking trash on fixed, or liking it. Either way, I ride fixed in Aliso. The kids you see are probably the youngins. They are pretty strong kids and ride pretty frequent.

I normally dont ride down in Aliso due to everyone drives like a bunch of assholes. But from time to time you can catch me riding around.

That taco tuesday video was editing by my friend Kenny. I attended that ride and have been riding with them for the past year. That video has sparked alot of interest with alot of people, and im glad to see it getting the exposure it needs. He did a very good job capturing the night.

The video actually got published in COG magazine...
    Thats me in the upper left popping up onto the granite pyramid.

[​IMG]

Just for the record, dont call em fixies.

11. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

what do u call them then? Fixed? that video is hot one of my faves

12. Kevedge

Kevedge New Member

Machine Shop
    Home Page:
    Honestly, i just call them bikes, or fixed. The term "fixie" is really hated in the community, ha. Its kind of a hipster thing to be said by the kids who ride em ti be "cool" or use the bikes as a fashion accessory.

We are putting together a full length video that will come out in July, but heres a trailer/teaser we have out right now.

http://www.vimeo.com/796328/

There is some local stuff in there. I ride the black frame with silver deep v's, nothing special.

13. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I'm a "Ride and Let Ride Guy" and hey I like bikes more the merrier (and yes I want a fixed (wanted one for a long time just haven't got around to it) but my "Bike Closet" is Full so I have to give one up to get one) and I am getting older ...errrrrr More Mature, so sometimes I envy the Kids and their Fads, looks like fun and hell I had spike hair and orange spotted Converse All Stars some years back, anyways...

I got one real question. The totally small / skinny in width handlebars whats up with that? Is there some specific advantage. I saw a guy yesterday and his handle bar basically 2 grips sticking out from the stem, no exaggeration. Now I realize when I ride a Road bike I often ride "On Top " With may hands pretty close to the stem but when I need torque, I have to spread them out, or when I need extra stability I grip wide.

So please can someone explain to me (really) the super skinny bar thing? (as you can tell I am thinking about building one)

Thanks

14. Kevedge

Kevedge New Member

Machine Shop
    Home Page:
    The SUPER narrow bars is beyond me. Alot of messengers in the city will ride chopped bars because its easier to cut traffic in the city. I have chopped bars and love it. Its about shoulder width apart. And that seems to be pretty comfortable with most people. I do have friends that ride really narrow chopped bars, but i guess they like it.

Your never too old to ride a bike. Get on it.

15. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Wow I watched this video and it kind of brings up old fun memories. I have been living in Costa Mesa on and off from the age of 13. The stuff they were doing in that video is not all that impresive. When I was riding BMX freestyle flatland I used to ride at that exact location in Anton except we would get chased from CMPD or the renta cop local security. These guys are doing bar spins , wheelies, wow big deal. When we were riding we were doing manuals seat grinders, tailwhips, cherrypicks, boomerangs, infinity rolls. When I was riding it was maybe three of us riding in Costa Mesa and we knew everyone in OC that rode. I see these people ride all throuugh Costa Mesa and they kind of give bike riders a bad name. When they ride its critcal mass on the streets with no helmets (of course when I rode with my friends back then we never wore helmets either). I wonder what would happen if I showed up to one of their fixie group ride with a helmet and a geared mountain bike?

16. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Dang....you don't need to pile on the "too old" card.

You must be younger, see the deal is:

Old Dudes can call ourselves Old but younger dudes should not ;)

17. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    [​IMG]

18. rjcornelia

rjcornelia Iron Pony

the narrow bars is the style that came from japan, specifically tokyo. the fixed gear riders there that use the bike as their primary means of transportation chop the bars to navigate in between the massive crowds of people commuting. it makes sense to do it there but here in the suburbs it's just a style thing, nothing more. just like NJS parts. NJS parts aren't the best parts available but they are japanese velodrome track certified parts that are super expensive and hard to get here in the USA. they give more "style points" lol. :?:

19. Bert

Bert Member

I can help clean up, just let me know what spots I missed :lol:

Attached Files:

20. Kevedge

Kevedge New Member

Machine Shop
    Home Page:
    Ha, your comparing apples to oranges. These arnt bmx bikes