Ride Report First Time on Chiquito

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by redwoods, Dec 1, 2013.

1. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    9am this morning at the bottom of san juan :) hurry up if you can make it

2. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    No need to drag, my ass is there w you guys!! I shuttled BlueJay w Julie once, did the Candy Store loop(?), so I'm ready for more exploring.
    I'll be sure to pack a binky for Mo in case he starts to cry bc we're too slow...that should hold him!

3. grendal

grendal Member

Pat,
    I have ridden up from the candy store and done a lollipop with the Tie. There is a lot of HAB going the other directions but it is a a fun trail and one everyone should try once or twice :D

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    In detail map - Stay on red line from Blue Jay to D turn left on purple line, stay on purple to a left on Yellow line until it returns you to red line at C, continue back on red (double the fun) to Cocktail Rock and down. Gives you up-down, some tech chunky and rock rollers to play with and an easy pedal back up through the woods back to the 'new' SJT - makes for some extra fun!

The meadow on the orange line is fun to flow through (part of the typical 'Lollipop Loop'), but the roots are a BIATCH to HAB up (total fun the other way down - but then the meadow sucks to 'pedal up' through).

However you do go out there, it's so pretty you'll have tons-o-fun no matter what!

5. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Let's do it. Start at Blue Jay on Red, right on Orange, Left on Red, Right on Purple, Right on Yellow to a second car at the Candy store. It's almost all downhill.... Spoke to a couple guys at Cocktail today that were doing that route. They said the climb up Orange (Old San Juan to Cocktail) isn't "that bad". Neither one of them looked like Tinker so there's that...
    Pat, sorry we have completely derailed your RR thread, but you got us all stoked to get out to Chiquito now that it's cooler! Thanks again for posting the pics!

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Originally Posted by herzalot [​IMG]
    I would love to hit Chiquito/Viejo Tie with someone sometime. Perhaps you and I can drag Rox up there and make it a Geriatric Tour.

​Am I old enough to tag along?

7. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    LoL. Good luck getting Chris to come. It will have to be a saturday, when aliso is closed, and both the moon and the sun are alligned at the right angle in front of the flying pig who is weaving in and out of the double rainbow. And then you still have a chance of him not coming out ;)

8. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Sales
    Hahaha.... Good job Mo!!

9. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Is that why you never invite me? Some of us can't ride during the week, ya slacker! I ride every weekend - but true, I will turn you down for any ride that involves a 5 mile climb on a fireroad.

Oh, and the last double rainbow I saw had me crying like a baby! It was soooo amazing!

Gary - you're not old enough, but we'll take you anyway, especially since you hit the skids coming down San Juan and didn't knock me off the trail last week as I was pedaling my sorry ass up the hill. - BTW - nice weight loss! Congrats? I assume your HBP is down as a result?

10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Thanks chris; Bp was mostly normal last few times i checked. Did some backtracking with the weight loss this last week, oops

11. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

Another enjoyable route is to take San Juan up to Cocktail, keep right on New San Juan Trail, then take the Viejo Tie loop and then come back down either Old or New San Juan as you wish.

That section on Viejo Tie with the picture entitled "Scoping out a large-ish roller:" is what is sometimes called Volkswagen rock, and congrats to anyone who can roll that.

Chiquito definitely has "chunky" as part of its identity, in the sense of several rocky sections usually needing some HAB unless you are a very strong climber. There are a couple of very challenging rock drops, good only for the experts, and many smaller ones. However I find that the character of the trail with so much richness of trees, foliage, rock formations, creeks, waterfalls (rainy season is coming up) makes for a high quality ride--and the downhill is a blast.

And if you want to try the San Juan lolipop from the Trabuco Canyon direction see: https://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=471.

12. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Thanks for posting, looks like a great ride.. we need to do this one as I've heard good things. Also, nice job Mo in that little rocky section.. and good form from what I can see.. I thought Chris would compliment you on the nice form, but he was too busy slapping you around for not inviting him :)

13. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    The youngster doesn't need any compliments on his riding right now. The student has surpassed the teacher, dammit!

14. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I know that feeling all TOOOOO well !! :beer:

15. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Thanks everyone! I'm sure some day I'll be back for another go at it...one that includes some substantial climbing. It's definitely a place that allows one to improve technical skills (or pay a price trying!)

Bikesurfski, that route looks killer! Definitely an all-day affair. I've only gone down Trabuco once. Is it as tough a climb as I think it would be? Hmmm... :-k

16. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

Yes, up Trabucco is definitely a challenge, with the payoff being the fun ride down.