Finally Ready for some new brakes!

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by TrailJesus, Sep 17, 2007.

1. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    Ok question: Say i were to get the Juicy's with 203mm rotor could I later on switch the rotors if i wanted to no prob? I'm leaning on the side of yes but wanna make sure. Might go with the Juicys's 203 if I can find them on the SantaCruz website... Ross can ya chime in?

2. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I don't huck or jump, but I took 6" rotors on every trail in Moab, including Porcupine Rim. Ran them down The Ribbon trail in Grand Junction--where at least one person experienced brake fade and I didn't. I ran them down Noble on Saturday. I've run them down a local descent here that drops 800' in 1.5 miles numerous times.

7" and 8" rotors are definitley better stoppers, but not necessarily necessary;)

3. guero

guero iFroth

as long as you have the correct adapters for the larger rotors....what kinda fork are you running again? if it is a cheapy, you might not want to run a larger rotor...the fork probably wasnt designed to handle the load and stress of an 8" rotor....this could result in the bolts ripping and stripping out the threads on the fork leg....i'd find out how big of a rotor your fork can handle before you order a larger rotor bubb.

4. PacMan

PacMan New Member

You can run any size rotor you want, you just need the proper adapter.

Some people caution against running 8" rotors on QR equipped forks, but I don't know how valid that claim is. I do know that my '04 Enduro was originally spec'd with 8" rotors, but people were snapping the brake tabs off, so they recalled them and swapped out the 8" rotors for 6" rotors.

Edit: I see Guero is a faster typer than I am;)

5. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    Um... as far as what fork i have its a Marzocchi fork with ETA and 100-120 travel adjustment. I dont think its a cheapo fork, not OEM, and could handle the larger rotors. I'm thissssssss close to buying the Juicy 7's 203mm '06 off Pricepoint for 114 a piece. One more thing: Is it bad to buy older model stuff? If so I'll buy the '07 Juicy 7's 160mm for 130 each. Just thinking that with each year kinks from the previous year might have been worked out and improved in newer models.

6. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Make sure you check the clearance for the back rotor.
    Your frame may only allow up to a certain size.

7. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    it looks liek theyre store is down man. to run smaller rotors, you;ll just need dif. adapters, any LBS will have em. my good homie jsut bought em and loves em. send santa cruz an email from the store link and tell em you want those brakes for 220$ and theyre urs. that simple

8. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    Ok sent email. I guess I'll have to put my credit card back in my wallet. God it feels to have money again :) Now time to start looking for a frame :-k

9. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    there you go, good work man, and god speed

10. Collette

Collette New Member

11. PacMan

PacMan New Member

12. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    MMMM rubber duckies!

13. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
  14. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    I sell industrial power transmission equipment for a living, including industrial brakes. Hayes is well know in "other markets" besides mtb brakes. Having done the math myself, I figured out that there's not much difference between the 6" & 7" rotors. There's only about 25% more thermal capacity in the 8" rotors (but you'll never get there). I've had 6's hot enough the brand myself, and others were concerned about starting a brush fire. They still wouldn't fade...

The only difference (and this IS tangible) is the surface speed of the rotor through the caliper, which equates to better feedback at the lever. Unless you're a serious DH'er, the 6's or 7's are fine.

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Have Juicy Seven's great modulation but worse brake I have ever owned. Tempermential pieces of s***. Old Hayes Mags are mucho better.

Now running Formula Oro Puro's, blows the others away. Quality brakes..little hard to find. Break pad easy to change, they slip in from the top like Hopes. Never liked the way Avid or Hayes uses posts on the piston to hold the pads on. If you wear them down and damage the spring your pads may fall out. Ask CC when she came down Cannell Plunge. That will not happen with Hopes or Formulas.
    :steppie:

16. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    :p :D

They must have been worn down to the backing plate. And you'd still have to take the wheel off for them to fall out, unless the little "lip" that keeps them in the caliper was damaged. I suppose anything is possible. I heard from a guy on the internet who knows a guy whose cousin ran Hayes without the spring (actually the post broke off the piston because the doofus tried to force the wrong pad in with a hammer). Get this. The only side effect was that the dragged a little and made some noise (also exasperated by the bent rotor that he claimed warped under normal usage). BTW, Hayes sent him a new brake under warranty. ;)

Y'know. Some parts are just not for everyone. That's why I stated in another thread that they are all fine brakes. I just recommend the ones I prefer. :beer:

17. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya, it all boils down to what you prefer. I hated the Juicy 7's and so I sold them. A few friends of mine had them and hated them too. MTBR is full of reviews from people that hated them. But, some love them.

The mechanics at my LBS refer to Hope brakes as "Hope they work" brakes. I personally don't have any experience with them but the mechanics say they are junk. Yet people (on this board especially) love them.

I love my Hayes 9's and my Shimano Deore's. 4 years on both with no issues. To me that equals a good quality brake.

18. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
    I have some Juicy 7's to sell. Goodridge lines ($130 upgrade) and fairly new goodridge sintered G* pads as well. 203mm rotors and mounts. Front is for a post mount but i think I have the IS one too. Offers above $195???? Bleed kit ($30) included too.

These have been trouble free from the start. None of the horror stories you read on MTBR have happened with these brakes.

edit: I see someone has kindly linked to my ad.

19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Wrong Raul's pads also fell out when we were riding Burkhart Trail..I think he runs Hayes.
    :steppie:

20. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Anyone want to buy the one's he's got on the bike now? 100 bucks for both with rotors! :D

Hayes Sole 7"/6"