FIFA World Cup 2010 (merged threads)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brewtal, May 19, 2010.

1. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

It's just about that time for the 2010 FIFA World Cup to begin on June 11th in South Africa!
    Two matches I am looking forward to out of the gate are, my overall pick, Germany to avenge their third place finish last Cup and destroy Australia (sorry Kanga)
    Also, England to be stunned by us Yanks and lose by, my prediction, 3-2 final score! :bang:
    I'll be stunned as well but hey, it could happen! Correction, WILL happen!
    [​IMG]

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

See ya at the Crown and Anchor!

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Wish that USA v England game wasn't at the same time as the 12hrs of Temecula.

Wish even more that I could have afforded the flights to get over there...but at least my tickets resold.

As for Germany...no Ballack, no semi-finals. The winner will come from Spain, Portugal, Argentina, or Brazil. They are the only teams with multiple people who can take over a game with their talent.

3. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

Ooooo... Can't wait for it to start :)

4. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    We're lucky ESPN and ABC are covering it, and not VERSUS. If it were VERSUS and the Finals came in tied after regular play and OT, Versus would most likely cut the broadcast off right before the penalty kicks in order to jump to the latest pro bull riding or pro bass fishing......

Still steaming on their screw-up with the ToC yesterday.

Go USA and if we don;t make it all the way top the finals, Go England!

5. N4th4n

N4th4n Its a purse..oookkkkkkaay

eeehheemmmm *clears throught and pulls up a chair*

The first game; USA vs England, will be a great one on the 12th, crazy things happen in the initial rounds....look at France in 2002 who got beat by Senegal !!!!.....but we aint gonna go down to USA....we're looking pretty strong at the moment.

Also, this is one of the reasons why I overlooked Temecula !!

Although I remember I did the 12hr Bristol Bike Fest on the opening Satruday of the 2006 World Cup....we did about 4hrs before we ditched the race to watch the England game in the beer tent !!!

COME ON ENGLAND !!!

Er hello......*knock knock*......Wayne Rooney......Steven Gerrard........

6. Brewtal

Ballack's ankle injury is a major blow but I am hopeful the rest of the boys will step up in his absence! Klose will definitely be a factor.

I'm hoping Dargan's out here will open for breakfast so I can watch the matches in a proper setting! Bacon, eggs, World Cup, and a pint!

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go chase N4th4n with a broken bottle! ;)

7. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Hey, you forgot David "Calamity" James! Hahahaha! :lol: Probably one of the reasons he didn't mention England. j/k England does have a shot as do Italy, who are always in the mix. I am going to a wedding this weekend and there will be lots of Brits flying in from London. Thinking about bringing my USA scarf...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2010
  8. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    N4th, I've seen Brewtal after he's had a few pints and wielding an empty beer bottle. It's even worse when he has a few throwing darts. All I have to say is, "....RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!"

[​IMG]

9. bikerider

bikerider New Member

I'm really looking forward to the Worl Cup this year. As luck would have it, I'll be in Brazil for 2 weeks during the Cup. Apparently its similar to Carnival. I just hope Brazil doesn't lose while I'm still in the country. They take soccer way to seriously.

10. Brewtal

Hey Metal, several of those darts made it near the dartboard! Didn't they? :lol:

North Korea and Cote d'Ivoire, I think you'll have a nice safe trip after two Brazil victories. Then again...victory parties can get wild too! :beer:
    [​IMG]

Portugal vs. Brazil on the 25th will be a great match!

11. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    I really hope Ivory Coast and Ghana put on a good show. Ghana probably has one of the best midfields on the planet if Essien is healthy. Ivory Coast looks good as well Especially with the form Drogba has been on this season.

I could see Ghana meeting Spain in the Final if injuries don't cause problems. I can't see Brazil winning. Too much dissension in the squad after Dunga decided to leave Ronadinho out.

Unfortunately I think the USA will be very lucky if they make it out of the group. Contrary to what a lot of people think the group is no cake walk.

I really wish Ballack would stop whining about how he is going to take the guy to court who caught his ankle. It happens in every game all the time. Had he not slapped the player a few minutes before he probably wouldn't have gotten tackled in the first place. You didn't hear Ramsey talking about taking Showcross to court for breaking his leg when Arsenal played Stoke. Ballack = douche bag.

12. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Leave it to Mourinho to put words today to what I generally feel during the group stage - Champions League is the best futbol...better than World Cup...er..almost.

Once the minnows get thrashed and we get to knockouts then I'm ready for the good stuff.

Rooney can put England over the top - if he's fit. Otherwise, the usual suspects: Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Italy. Spain a threat to run the table with everyone healthy.

13. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    Ivory Coast will not be a walk for Brazil. I could see Portugal and Ivory Coast getting out of the group and leaving early. At the moment Brazil has no answer for Drogba. Right now the Ivory Coast is packed with players who could make a real run: Yaya Toure (Barcelona), Salomon Kalou (Chelsea), Emanuel Eboue (Arsenal), Kolo Toure (Manchester City) just to name a few. With the problems in the Brazil camp I can't see them doing much at all this world cup.

14. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    Possible routes to the finals.

Attached Files:

15. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    The D'Argans in Santa Barbara will be open as will The Press Room. My personal favorite pub ever to watch a game in.

16. ladydeacon

ladydeacon Newbie Dirt Eater

Don't sleep on the Oranje!!!!! With Robben, Sneidjer, and Van Persie rolling and one of the easier groups better watch out! Can't freaking wait for the World Cup to start! Furlough day on June 11th couldn't be timed any better!

17. TREE

TREE New Member

18. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

If you'd have added Lampard, I'd agree. Gerrard didn't have the impact for Liverpool that he did last season when both/either Torres and Alonso on the pitch.

England only works if Gerrard, Lampard, and Rooney can figure out how to work together...something that didn't (and didn't need to) work in qualifying.

The winners will have dominant strength, speed, and creativity up the middle. England has two of the three...but that doesn't mean I'm not rooting for them after the USA match.

BTW...I heard in the OC that ESPN Zone WILL NOT be open early for any of the matches...any news on breakfast "bars" open during the cup?

19. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

I would bet that The Olde Ship (Fullerton and Santa Ana) and British Dominion (Garden Grove) will be open for business. The Olde Ship in Santa Ana is a really cool place to watch a match.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2010
  20. Brewtal

With the exception of Vinnie Jones, I think most players are dbags. Egos and self righteousness are rampant in the sport and if my club loyalty were based on player personality, I wouldn't watch! :lol:

Good call on the Press Room and SB Dargan's! I would say that was too far to drive when b-fast pints are on the menu but there is a bus that goes to and from so that just may work!
    :beer:
    Oleeeee olee olee oleeeeeee.....

12 pairs of black eyes later, I am still trying to master this technique of opening beer bottles!
    [youtube]ZN239G6aJZo[/youtube]