Facebook is listening

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Aviatrix, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

2. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    But but ... My best mtbing pics aka memories are on FB. How do I keep those and flush FB, Kells??

3. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    You do what the rest of your generation does, take em off FB and put em on your wall!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  4. bing!

bing! Active Member

Some of the stuff on that video is pretty compelling. Had no idea that the app operates on the phone even when it is turned off.

As an immigrant with many close friends and relatives abroad and spread throughout the nation, I'm going to have to find a communication tool that is as convenient as facebook (no phone numbers, no need to write individual or targeted broadcast emails and convenient interface for reading of short messages).

I understand that a lot of people are frustrated by the inanity of a lot of facebook posts. As communication tool, I think it's really useful (i.e. disaster and emergencies). But due to that video, I am seriously looking into uninstalling it. Already did that for that intrusive Messenger app.

Thanks.

5. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

you can download your pics Rox. I by no means claim to be a computer-savvy person. I kill computers and screw them up 99% of the time I'm trying to do something......so take my advice for what it's worth ;)

6. Winger

Winger Member

I uninstalled Facebook from my Android phone because of the permissions. I noticed that whenever you start the program, it automatically uses the GPS to pinpoint your location, so I constantly had to remember to turn off the GPS sensor.

The permissions that bothered me:

-Read your text messages
    -Phone - Write Call Log
    -Phone - Directly Call Phone numbers
    -Phone - Read Call log
    -Camera - Take Pictures and Video
    -Camera - Record Audio
    -WiFi - View Wi-Fi connections
    -Retrieve Running Apps
    -Read your Contacts
    -Modify your contacts
    -Read calendar events plus confidential information

That's pretty intrusive for a program that's essentially a bulletin board.

7. dmbfan028

dmbfan028 New Member

Consultant
    shocker :)

8. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

These make perfect sense to me. You can make phone calls direct from the app so its needs to be able to make calls.
    You can take photos direct from app so it needs access to camera
    You can link you contacts ( also can be turned off) so it needs access.

And if your really worried about privacy, turn off you computer, get rid of your smart phone.

9. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    While none of this comes as a surprise, it just makes it even more surprising to see them go ahead and do it. But then Facebook never pretended to be a benevolent service so I'm not sure what we thought we were going to get. I like that Facebooks defense is merely "if you think we're bad, google's even worse"... well ok then, so you both suck.

Even though I only ever use anonymous or disinformation online, when I closed my account over the whole "we own your pictures" ordeal a few years ago, it still took me several hours to delete all the content, which apparently you have to do individually, otherwise they keep and retain ownership of it... for your convenience of course.

I was going to comment on that thread, but when I tried it brought up a facebook sign-in window to do it. hahah

In happier news, Apple's quietly heading in the opposite direction, randomizing & localizing MAC Addresses http://vowe.net/archives/014412.html
    Apparently getting dragged into Supreme Court (for refusing the US Gov access to their Messaging service) irritated them.
    Interesting little rivalry developing there.

10. Winger

Winger Member

I agree that a case can be made for every feature. It makes sense that it can record video without asking permission because that's what you'd do if you wanted to post a status update. However, there's nothing keeping them from recording video without your knowledge. Even an in-app setting can be ignored by the program.

11. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Shoot! I better hurry up and set up my Facebook page so I can delete it! Right after I join STRAVA.

Please don't tell me I have to get off STR though.

12. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I'll raise you all in. I'm gonna smash all of my electronics right after this post. See ya guys and gals.

13. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    No Donny don't do it!!!!! That would leave only 22 people on STR! #-o

14. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Guys FB is nearly so intrusive on the desktop too unless you are using safety Extensions like Adblock ghostery and most importantly at tool to kill all the tracking cookies when you logout... Otherwise it tracks every where you go

BTW not a big FB fan and would never install the app on a phone

15. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I'm an IT type of person so none of this surprises me.
    What DOES surprise me is that folks are worried about the NSA collecting meta-data about cell phone calls but that they have Facebook, Google, amazon and LinkedIn accounts.
    They probably also are Von's Reward and CVS extra Care Memberships!!

Get real, data collection is rampant. There is nothing for free and EVERYONE wants your marketing data!!!

16. granny ring

granny ring Not Really Here

kept man
    I find it interesting that some people, especially younger ones, have the mindset that all these apps/devices with their features and tools should come at no cost. I laugh when I hear my kid complaining about some tool that she she uses for free and can't understand why it has features that she does not like or feels intrudes on her in some way. They are all businesses, not charities.

17. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

OK so I lied I'm not gonna smash my electronics. I like to catalog my bowel movements so if these social media guys or the NSA wants to see or hear me drop bombs they can have at it. This is an era of technology. If they really want to spy on you they can and will no matter what you do. I don't care either way. I have nothing to hide and if it keeps me and my family from getting blown up by some terrorist then that's cool too.

18. bing!

bing! Active Member

As a person who has been working for tech co.s for the last few years, I have seen some very good and creative tracking techniques. I was involved in a billing system that relied on a client tracking system ran by our engineers. When I looked into it, I was amazed that we could track phone calls a person makes to our clients if he searches for an apartment from our site, and log when he goes to visit that site, and then collect our fee if he signs a lease, and if not, continuously send him new units for rent via email and robocalls. All from doing that one search.

I've worked with a company that can run your entire financial history within seconds that you sit in front of a desk, profile products that suit you, and offer you something undercutting whoever is servicing you at the moment to get your biz. And also coach the sales guy to greet you on the new kid, or the graduation that just happened, or the new car... etc etc.

What does surprise me, if it's true, is that a smart phone app will listen to my surroundings when the app is not turned on, when the phone is sitting on my night table. That is beyond appalling. Not that it's impossible, but that it is highly unethical. There are limits. I am skeptical, but not do not dismiss it. That Zuckerberg guy is a bit of a douche. Collecting meta-data without a warranty is douchey too.

19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I am sure they got bored listening to my life and moved on long ago.

Dean

20. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    To those of you that don't have a facebook that's a huge bummer because that means you don't have tinder either ;)