Everest Challenge 2010

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by vlad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

6"1' 150...well only 35lbs I gota drop to be close to that...think beer and I have to close a relationship...contemplating the lap band.
    Regarding compact cranks would a new fron der be required to make that work, if going from standard 39/53?
    Any deals on compact cranks out there?

When is the angeles crest adventure happening? Id meet @ 39 for that one!

2. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    I'd have to meet @ 39 and head back to 39 after Mt Wilson, but that sounds sweet...

I'm also agitating for a Wrightwood/39 loop. Let me know if I missed you with the memo...

3. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    On July 10th I did the Death Ride for the second time. Great ride and I felt pretty strong throughout the day. I managed to beat last year's total time by a hair over 2 hours; about 11:30 compared to 13:49 in 2009. On pass 4 of 5 I started to question the Everest Challenge and by pass 5 of 5 I was seriously questioning Everest Challenge. I love riding in the mountains and I love pushing myself, however I think that 130 miles and close to 15,000 feet of climbing is just about at my limit of what I want to put myself through. I didn't want to say anything to the guys as two of us were pretty serious about EC and one was on the fence. As soon as Sol said I don't think I can do EC and then Krisztian said the same thing I was so relieved.

Long story short (I know, too late) I don't think the EC is for me. The first day is harder than Death Ride and then there is the second day... I wish those doing the event the best and would still love to do some of the big training rides to help you all prep but I will not be out there this year. Finding one's limit is both humbling and freeing.

4. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Maven, I felt the same way after finishing my Sunday ride with BoingBoing. I know I can finish the 1st day of EC but not sure I'd be able to even get out of bed for the second day! I'm going to do EC anyway just because I'm stubborn not because I think I can actually finish it. At the worst I'll finish Saturday then have a nice Sunday up in the mountains - I'll bring my fishing pole.

So if you or the other guys change your mind let me know because it would be very motivational to have a friendly STR face or two to share in the suffering. (My parents just went fishing at Bishop Creek and caught their limit of 12-14 inch planters).