Everest Challenge 2010

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by vlad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Definitely the way to go, better to have and not need. The hot ticket is the new SRAM Apex cassette, 11-32 and works with Shimano or SRAM 10 speed road shifters. Might have to throw a MTB or triple derailleur on there, but maybe not.

2. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    You guys have a good point - better to have gears and not need them then not have enough!

I climbed many of these climbs in the past with 39 and a 27 and no problem but I'm 6'1" and used to weigh ~150 back then. Then again I never climbed 3 of these mountains in a row on the same day. I forget how old I am now sometimes.

I used a 39 and 25 last month on Old Sherwin Grade and had a tough time turning it over with the headwind on some of the steeper sections and had to stand a lot more than I wanted to. That SRAM 11-32 cassette sounds interesting and Maven is a very strong rider so if he's contemplating a compact and an 11-34 then I'm paying attention!

3. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    My hope is that I can get the SRAM 11x32 and permenantly replace my short cage Ultegra derailleur with a long cage (RD-6700-GC). This will allow me to switch out my normal 11x27 with the 11x32 for big mountain days; whilst keeping the rest of my set up the same.

4. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    OK. I've been looking online like crazy for the SRAM 11x32 Apex but can't find it anywhere. Anyone know of any online dealers that carry it?

Yes - I'm too lazy to go to my LBS. Spending time driving to an LBS and in an LBS is time I could be spending riding. Plus lately, LBS's never carry anything in stock. The absolutely biggest ever turn-off for me is ".. but we could order it for you?" Sorry, I can order it myself and have it shipped directly to my house.

5. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Never ordered from this place, but I was looking the other day and found it. I'd probably call first to make sure they're legit?

http://cycleclubsports.com/pd-sram-apex-pg-1050-road-cassette.cfm

6. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:

OK, I just looked them up a little and not too certain. Absolutely no contact information or information about the company (address, etc). Never ordered from them before so for now I'll hold off. A number of other more reputable sites are showing out of stock so I'll just wait around a month or two and keep on training with the 11x26 until I get my hands on the SRAM Apex 11x32 (and if I do end up finding it in an LBS until then - in Stock - I'll pick it up.)

7. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I may ride down to The Path next Friday and try out some new gearing options. I plan to place an order before then to ensure all the options I want to investigate will be available. Vlad, if you want me to pick up a SRAM 11x32 Apex cassette I can pick one up for you.

8. Jeff Hurricane

Jeff Hurricane New Member

I did it in 2002, fricken miserable. 1 one bottle cage broke off within the first 1/2 mile of day one. It was about 90 degrees at the start, at that time, the race was in late June, got up to 106 pretty early. I rode near the front all day, but did not start day 2.
    The climbs were'nt so bad, but the heat and the neutral support were awful, they gave us a bad imitation of hot lemon-lime gatorade and corn chips, which at 106 degrees did not settle well.
    I heard that the race has moved to September, which can only be better...hope they changed the menu at the food stops though.

I used a 53/38 fr and a 12/26 rear and that was fine, but then again, I didnt do day 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  9. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

10. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I will make sure to post when I do the ride if I know well enough in advance when I get time to do this ride.

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    In September the threat is cold and snow. The weather has forced re-routing (at least once).

12. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

I did the challenge last year with a 50/34 front and a 13/39 rear. I had to use the 29 at times but I was glad I had it.

13. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Wow a 13/39! That is a huge sprocket. 34x39, does that feel like pedaling backwards? :)

14. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

Special gearing for older guys. Meant 29 but a few spots the 39 could have been used.:beer:

15. JohnnyDalton

JohnnyDalton New Member

I did it with a compact and an 12-27 a few years ago and would loved to have more gears. Shimano has an 11-28 that might be worth a look. But still, something taller would still be worth considering.

BTW - I'm thinking about giving it another go. Funny how the years have dulled the pain of the Bristlecomb pine climb. When they describe the lower slopes as rolling, it rolls between 8 and ungodly%. Not exactly rollers in my book.

16. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I tried out a friend's bike with Shimano compact 50-34 cranks and 11-28 cassette - rode from Acton up Aliso over AFH to the tunnel and back and felt like I had plenty of gears. Not sure if I'd have the same feeling halfway up the 3rd HC climb in a row though:) Or on the 2nd day of 15K climbing for that matter...

I plan to borrow his bike once more and try a few local high gradient climbs (15-20%) before I make final decision. I just don't want to spend money for a new rear der, etc for one single ride if at all possible. Also plan to lose another 8 lbs of body weight before Sept which should help (178 now but plan to be 170 or less by then).

17. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    OK. Just registered for the Public category and booked my hotel in Bishop. Decided against going with any of the "race" categories as this will be my first Everest. Lets see how this one goes and then maybe it will be Masters 45+ next year......

18. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Wise move vlad, wise move. EC, at least for me, is all about survival.

19. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    You guys keep posting stuff like this and I'm going to have to get a real road bike!

20. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Is anyone interested in carpooling and/or sharing a room? I can drive and take up to two more people/bikes. I'm in Palmdale right off the 14 Fwy.

BTW- I installed the Ultegra 11-28 cassette and climbed some local hills, including a couple 20%+ sections. Worked very well so I'm crossing my fingers will be enough with 50-34 chainrings.