Everest Challenge 2010

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by vlad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I'm thinking of doing this one (OK really heated up to do it):

http://www.everestchallenge.com/

29,035 feet of climbing with 3 HC climbs each day over 200+ miles in two days in the High Sierras.

In general I got the climbing part down pretty good, got the long time in the saddle down too. Would probably be able to do either stage as a single day ride without any worry. However, never did this much in two consecutive days. And as a race nonetheless.

Assuming there are a number of folks on STR that have done this one before? Anyone have any words of wisdom to share?

Anyone planning to do it this year? (Brian?)

2. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

I would love to sign up for this. $130 is not bad for 2 big days of riding and support. Could probably convince 1 or 2 friends to join... let's make it an STR event?

Vlad are you free this Saturday? A couple of us are headed out to Malibu to ride the Highland Double.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Grand Tour Highland double is one of the best in SoCal. Wish I had the training to join you. I'll be doing it for sure next year. I want to do a triple again and this is the best one for it.

4. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Not available this weekend or any Saturday/Sunday in July. We are having house guests (non-cycling) until August 1 so all weekends until then are shot. Will be training during the week (in and around Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena) and planning to hit the heavy weekend clmbing miles again in August, prepping for this thing (if I do end up going). So.... make a long story short....will definately be game for any August training dates.

Am thinking of registering for the Masters 45+ (am 44 with USACF racing age of 45) or could do the Cat 4....

5. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

I don't have a road racing license but was going to sign up as non-competitive. Cool that they have that option. Thinking about tandem class with my wife but that would be pretty tough.

Thanks for bringing this up. I remember seeing it last year when I had a broken arm and wishing I could make it...

Calendar RSVP: Everest Challenge 2010

6. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Vlad, Yes I am planning to do this event this year. I have tried to structure my riding calendar for all of 2010 to up to this event. Death Ride is in like 3 weeks and is a training ride this year. I plan to do a few big back to back rides in the Angeles before EC. Need to teach my body and mind how to deal with the pain of day 2.

We plan to get a condo in Mammoth Village. I plan to get a massage the first night. I am looking at a way to install a mountain 32 or 34 cassette with my compact double crank. I may have a few other strategy ideas but I can't think of anything else right now.

7. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I'm in!

but I'm scared...

Are you guys entering in the racing categories or as "noncompetitive/touring"? I no longer have a USAC license - If I do enter I suppose I have to register as a 5; or as Masters 45+ ?

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Good for you david!

I'm scured too and I'm not even riding!

9. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Not sure if its a mistake or not, but I will be entering the Masters 45+. Took a look at the finishing times of Cat 4 vs Masters 45+ and the Masters 45+ are somewhat slower (which works just right for me!).

I guess the only difference between doing the "tourist" version and a racing cateogry is the USAC license. Otherwise its not like there is much of an organized peloton. beleive its pretty much everyone for themselves regardless of etnry cateogry? But I have to ask any who have been there in the past if that is the case?

10. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I know someone who did this about 5 years ago and he feels that it's smart to stay with a group if possible until the last climb of each day because you can work together on the downhills and on the brief flat parts. even a little bit of drafting is probably significant in a race like this.

Do you think it good idea to use a compact crankset over a triple? In my younger days I would have just used a 53-39 and 12-27 but no way my 52 year old knees can handle that anymore.

11. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

I'm in for the noncompetetive/tourist category. Never been a road racer and sure ain't gonna start with Everest Challenge! My goal is simply to finish and enjoy the scenery.

Will be 34/50 with 11-25 out back. I have a "touring" bike with a triple (26 granny?) and an 11-32 in back but it's 10# heavier than my roadie. Probably not worth the weight penalty.

12. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Man...that kicks off what could be an epic triple weekend...the SoCal Fat Tire Marathon at Vail is the following weekend, then the Death Valley Fall Stage race. Solvang Double is the weekend after that, then there's two weeks off before the Death Valley Double C.

Too many epics, too little time.

13. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    thanks jeff^d

just registered as noncompetitive. Oh Sh1t!!!

I've got lots of climbs around here to practice on if anyone wants to train out here with me sometime. My favorite training ride for clmbing is an out and back that has a series of climbs with a long 25 mile flat return into the wind.
    Mt Emma - 4 miles 1400'
    Littlerock Dam - 3 miles 1000'
    Cima Mesa - 4.2 miles 1800'
    Devil's Punchbowl - 2.5 miles 1100'
    Big Rock Creek - 3.5 miles 1400'
    Mile High cafe - 5 miles 1900'
    Mile High to Wrightwood - 6 miles 2200'
    throw in another 1,000' for the in-between parts.

Of course there is AFH to Mill Creek Summit to Upper Tunjunga to Wrightwood if you want an easier ride:)

Let me know where when you plan training rides

14. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:

My favorite used to be La Canada to Mt Wilson. With the ACH closed now I'm looking at making it Big Tujunga to AFH to ACH to Redbox to Mt Wilson, but not sure if all segments are open?

In any case, I will not be able to ride anything on weekends over a local 1hour to 1-1/2 hour until August, at which time I'm game for training rides in the Gabes. Maybe if I can get a half day off we can fit in an afternoon climb up 39 or Mt Baldy.....

15. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I DNF'd last year (sore neck). Smart guy is talking theory. The first climb separates people. The event is all about climbing. In fact the flat start almost separates people. We were told "cruise at 15mph until the first climb". Yeah, sure, in a flash I was in a 28mph peloton.

The roads are rough, in some places dangerously rough. I would not want to be drafting on a downhill and trust my life to the leader. There are serious potholes. The vibration is wearing.

Be sure of the route. I rode shotgun with a photographer on the second day. I was looking for a rider I knew from day 1. Turns out he missed the turn into Bristlecone Forest and had to climb back out of the next valley. GEEZ! Check your map, carry a GPS, tour first in a car, keep your head up, whatever it takes.

16. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Abui - thanks! What you say makes a lot more sense for someone like me. I just rode the Eastern Sierra Double and the the Old Sherwin grade and Rock Creek climbs were all about trying to keep a good rythm. If I was still young and strong it migh make sense to stay with a group but alas, age makes steady more important than fast.

And you are right; many of the roads are VERY rough right now - not only potholes and worn chip'nseal but tons of expansion cracks running across the roads, some as wide as 3" about every 10-12 ft for miles.

Thanks goodness for the amazing scenery!

17. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I plan to ride in the non-competitive/touring class.

As for training rides I want to do a ride from Pasadena out Foothill to Azusa Canyon, up to the ACH, ACH to Dawson Saddle, return on ACH to Red Box, climb to Wilson and back to ACH, then to Clear Creek, out via Big Tujunga Canyon, and home. Should be a nice big day.

Vlad, I riding pretty regularly on Tuesdays nights, Thursdays is generally MTB but sometimes road. Let's see if we can finally hook up for a ride. My email is <screen name>@yahoo.com I try to get out of work right at 5:00 and am at the Bowl by 5:30-5:45.

18. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Hate to break it to ya brother but unless you were a National Champion you aren't doing the Everest challenge with a 39-27 low. I know a bunch of people who have done it and won the masters classes, a few have stars and bars jerseys in the closet and they were glad they had 29's on back at the end of each day.

19. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Rivet, What are your thoughts on a 50-34x11-32 or 50-34x11-34 set up?

There are a few ways to potentially achieve this gearing set up, but sure that all will work in reality. I have been communicating with Brian (Donkey) at The Path about possible solutions and plan to head down there one day to see if we can work things out.

20. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:

Just sent you an email with a suggestion for this Thursday.