Event: Riding for Fun... Riding for Rwanda

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by OMR, Feb 6, 2012.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    The 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Annual 50 Mile Ride for Rwanda will be held on Saturday April 28, 2012 in Orange County CA. Event organizers expect over 800 fun-loving mountain bikers to join this year’s event. The Rwanda Ride raises funds for two non-profits: Project Rwanda, a micro-enterprise venture that provides cargo bikes to impoverished coffee growers in Rwanda; and Team Rwanda Cycling, the first-ever national cycling team from Rwanda.
    :bang:

The Rwanda Ride is different than most mountain biking events. First of all, the event is a “ride”, not a race. Riders participate for a lot of reasons: some for the challenge of riding further on a mountain bike than ever before, some because they love the Rwanda cause, some for the fun of sharing an epic day with their best riding buddies. Second, the event is a fundraiser. To-date, the Rwanda Ride has raised over $220,000 for Project Rwanda and Team Rwanda. These funds are used to further the economic development of Rwanda through initiatives based on the bicycle as a tool and symbol of hope.

“Some friends and I put together the first Rwanda Ride six years ago for my 50[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday,” says event founder Doug Grant. “But now this event has really taken off. Our ride has grown every year, thanks to our awesome volunteers and the support of so many bike shops and industry sponsors.”

The Rwanda Ride is popular among riders both young and old. One of the “most mature riders” at age 66, John Ganahl said after last year’s event: “This was my first Rwanda ride and in spite of the wind I definitely enjoyed it. I especially liked supporting the cause of helping Rwanda because my wife and I visited Rwanda two years ago. We were truly inspired by the determination of the Rwandan people we met to improve their country after the terrible genocide of 1994.” And one of our youngest riders, Bobby Bethurum (age 14) simply said “The 25 mile ride was awesome! I’m going again next year.”The 50 Mile Ride for Rwanda supports two non-profits: Project Rwanda and Team Rwanda Cycling. Project Rwanda was founded by Tom Ritchey, a pioneer in the mountain bike industry. Tom first visited Rwanda in 2005. Tom was inspired by the people and their stories of reconciliation and hope. He knew he could use his talent and resources to help make a difference – and Project Rwanda was born. Ritchey designed a special utility bike that can quickly and efficiently transport heavy loads of coffee. This cargo bike can increase a coffee farmer’s earning potential by 30-40 percent, giving them an opportunity to rise above poverty for the first time in their generation. Team Rwanda Cycling athletes are riding for their country, spreading a message of hope and inspiration for Rwanda. Word is spreading about this new “Team Rwanda”, the first national Rwandan cycling team. Adrien Niyonshuti, an original Team Rwanda member, has now qualified for the 2012 Olympics in London. Adrien will represent Team Rwanda as the first-ever Rwandan cyclist to participate in an Olympic Games.

Registration is now open for the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Annual Rwanda Ride. The event offers three different route options to choose from: the epic 50 mile route, a moderate but still challenging 25 mile route, and a new 10 mile route suitable for casual and beginning mountain bikers. Riders and their friends and family are invited to stick around at Cooks Corner after they finish for the post-ride party and huge raffle prize drawing (over $25,000 in prizes including a Niner Jet9 RDO carbon bike, a complete Shimano XTR groupo, two Spinergy wheelsets, and two epic San Juan Huts Systems adventure trips – plus much more). For more information and to register for the event, please visit www.50mileride.com.

For more information about the ride’s beneficiaries, visit
    www.projectrwanda.org and www.teamrwandacycling.org .

2. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    Sausagecrew will be there! Had a total blast last year!

3. TreeTopMike

TreeTopMike New Member

The MVMG will be there. ...extremely well-organized, and a challenge for riders of every level. I attended my first last year, and vow to ride'em as long as they keep putting the event on. The cool, non-competitive vibe is inspiring, ...even for competitors!

4. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Gonna sign up and do the 25 miler - 50 is a bit out of my range.
    Riding 60 on the road for Diabetes the next day and then 80 the week after.

5. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Can't wait - finally after 3 years, I'm in town!! (well for now). Gonna ride for the 50 - no slacking though, love my gears.

6. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Sounds cool. Anyone getting together for training? Group rides pre-riding the route?

7. scottstafford

scottstafford Member

Sound Guy
    I've been making an attempt to actually try and train for this ride this year. If you're ever interested, let me know. I'm down in the south county area!

Looking forward to giving this ride a shot this year, I'm expecting it to be a lot of fun. :bang:

8. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    will be there in some way..prob volunteer again.....gotta auction of Gene hugs! ;)

9. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    My training in earnest wouldn't begin until March (Feb's weekends are shot). I would like to see if I can build up to the 50-miler, but I'd do the 25 if it was unrealistic. Scott, I'll post up here or in another thread (and I'll look for others' posts) when I can dedicate 1/2-day to a full day on the weekends to my rides.

My excuses are invalid.

10. Team Smitty

Team Smitty MVP CYCLE CENTER

Dirtector of composite structures
    25er for the 10 year old

I'll be there, but riding the 25mi. Last year my wife and 9 and 5 year olds volunteered while I selfishly rode the 50….ever since my oldest insists he is going to ride the 25 this year. I told him there is a 10 mile option this year but insists on riding with the big kids.

11. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Heather and I are really hoping to be there this year. We can't wait! Thanks for posting this OMR!!!

12. guero

guero iFroth

last year i borrowed denmo's intense uzzi and did the 25 miler +3 or 5 extra miles courtesy of nam getting us lost on the way back, lol. hoping to do the 25 miler again on my own bike this time around.

13. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    so your 9 or 10 year old is doing the 25 miles? dude thats awesome. I looked at the course for the 10 miles and it does not look that interesting. Maybe i can get my 10 year old to ride 25 miles... That is a LOT for a kid

14. Sim

Sim New Member

Making the world a better place...with MAGIC!
    Hey Redwoods, I may be seeking your assistance for training as well so I'll keep an eye out for your thread whenever it goes up. I've only done 25 miles once on my mountain bike and this was about a year and a half ago.

15. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Dude, I think I'm in. We should start riding those sections for the 50 miler!

16. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    I'm going to really try to make it out to this year since I sadly missed last years.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Plan is to ride it again this year.

18. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    Can some one post the 50 mile loop.
    I know Grego said it was about 3000 ft gain.
    I'm thinking in the lines of the Toad fest,which i'v done a few times,30 miles with 3000 feet gain.
    I'm wondering how my arse is going to hold up.

19. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    5500' of climbing LOL

Towards the bottom:

http://50mr.com/details/

20. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    They must of had an different route last year,in the description they quote with much demand they went back to the 2010 route.