Ride Report Endorphins make us smile!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Dec 15, 2013.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I had the good fortune of riding with Tweasol (Josh) today as he took his hi-lighter yellow Knolly Endorphin on its maiden voyage. Aliso. Worth noting that Josh is coming off a broken collarbone (or was it a dislocation)?

Now, a shake-down ride usually involves tweaking the suspension quite bit, so I was prepared to spend time doing that. His bike is sporting a beautiful new Pike and a lust-worthy Cane Creek DB Air with climb switch. First adjustment we needed to make however, was a drivetrain problem - front derailleur. Josh has a three speed front derailleur lever that may not have been set right for a 2 ring set up. We got that problem sorted out well enough to ride.

Up Coyote we went and ran into another STR notable testing his new bike - none other than Sir Crashalot. After ogling his new Rocky Mountain, we continued out Coyote, up Cholla and over to Rock-It. R-I is a great test track for suspension settings because it has everything. Added 3psi to Josh' shock and we were off. I was leading out on the top section, attempting to show Josh that this old man can ride fast, but I clipped a pedal on a rock pedaling out of a turn which kicked my rear wheel out hard right and unceremoniously slammed me to the ground. Ouch. I immediately knew I bruised some ribs. Waited for signs of whiplash concussion - but checked out all clear. Bruised ribs and slightly injured pride. We headed down R-I (we were still at the top) and the ribs were hurting but tolerable. Hit the little techy climb after the rock garden and ran into Ed (Steammachine). After showing Josh and Ed the cool straight-up-the-rock line on that section, complete with demo, we jammed down the rest enjoying some flowy goodness. At the bottom, Josh was smiling. I was hurting.

Ed took off for Mathis and Car Wreck, and we headed for 5-Oaks. I figured I could walk down if I had to, but I wanted to see how Josh liked his bike on 5-O. As we climbed through the gated residences, I head someone call out my name - it was Ryan (Rynine) and a friend of his in front of a garage full of awesome bikes. After chatting about trails and Cane Creek service, Josh and I finished the push up to 5-O. Given my state of ouchiness, and giving up 28 years to Josh, I let him lead out. We had a nice run and really appreciated the new berms that Ryan had built after the rain. At the bottom, Josh was smiling. I was smiling, and hurting. 3/4 breaths were all I could manage, and standing while pedaling was - well, let's just say, uncomfortable. Sooooo, off to Cholla we went for another climb.

Up to the top of Rock-It we went, but turned around and headed for Lynx, including the extra credit at the top. Nice quick run down Lynx that Josh let me lead. Fun. I was smiling at the bottom. Josh rolled up - he was smiling too. Suspension seemed dialed already. As we romped through Coyote to head home, Josh ran into a friend of his - Ben - on a beautiful new Ibis HDR with super bling BikeCo/Marzocchi gold stanchioned shock. He was smiling. We were smiling. I was hurting.

Lots of friendly faces out there today and a great day despite the crash. I think Josh liked his bike, but he can chime in about that. Here's a crappy cell phone pic:

Pair of Endos1.jpg

2. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    That yellow is hideous. Who in their right mind would buy a bike that ugly? ;)

3. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Aww Hertzy got a boo-boo!! Maybe Mo will kiss it and make it all better....

Nice RR...the pic hurts my eyes!!

4. tweasol

tweasol New Member

100% endorse this! Fun ride. Super Stoked on the Knolly!

5. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    I would have a hard time deciding between the two colors.

6. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    Mo wants to sell his bike now that he's not the only one in so cal with one!

Nice bike!

7. rynine

rynine New Member

Space Monkey
    Knice Knollys for sure!!!

Thanks for the recognition regarding the trail work. Glad you liked it!!!

8. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Nice write up Chris. Hope you didn't hurt your ribs too bad. When are you going to put on a CCDBACS on yours?

9. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Thanks. I think I'm holding out for either the next version (lighter) or the BOS Kirk. The BOS looks killer, but it costs about a grand and good luck getting one serviced or warrantied. http://www.bosmtb.com/en/shocks/enduro/detail/produit/kirk/8.html

10. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    One thing about Mo, whatever bike he's on it's "I love this bike," and whatever trail he's on it's "I don't know, this might be my favorite trail out here!" Amazingly reliable stoke and positive energy.

However the young lad suffers from severe upgraditis and/or +1 syndrome (gotta add one more bike - now). "Should I get a 29er XC race bike or a DH bike next?" Imagine Mo on a lightweight, whispy 29er race bike... buh bye wheels and spokes, hasta la vista broken carbon frame...I didn't know a fork could bend that direction...

11. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

That's a lotta bike in one shot. Way to keep hammering it, herz.

12. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Thanks. Sore all over today, but ribs not nearly as bad as last time I did them. Hard to put on shoes and socks, or get in and out of a car, but I think I can still ride!

Oh, and for the record, if you've never seen the Knolly Hi Liter yellow in person - it's stunning. No, literally, like, knock-your-eyes-out bright.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  13. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Yeah the glare knocked me off my bike as I passed you guys. Seriously though, nice bikes!

14. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Nice RR Cris! I've been slowly recovering from broken ribs for almost 2 months now but that hasn't stopped me from riding. I'm about 90% recovered. Suck it up and heal fast! Lol.

15. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Sorry about the ribs Chris.. I know rib injuries very well.. bruises and fractures of the ribs seem to be my signature injury.. props to you for continuing the the climbing and descending with the discomfort. Hopefully the continued riding didn't make matters worse. New berms on 5-O sounds like a good time.. I will check em out during lunch run sometime this week.. heal up!

16. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

nice RR, I agree the recent work on Five oaks has improved the flow a lot. Not quite the glory it was a year or so ago but it's getting there...we need rain!

17. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    "Garrett's Turn" up top and one other spot 1/2 way down (rocky right) were really the only dicey spots on the trail. The rest of it was flowing really well. Cheers again to Rynine!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  18. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

#-o

19. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    A little birdy told me a certain knober may have changed tribes for the moment!