El Moro/LCWP/Bommer/Shady/Quail(IRC) Trail Conditions(merged)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by genusmtbkr5, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

how so?

2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    More Technical IMHO... maybe Xhuskr can post some pics on Monday.

3. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

ok thanks, I might go tomorrow morning but I will probably just walk it to check it out

4. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Not a problem for us but certainly a problem for them (park management and Edison).

5. andrew_

andrew_ New Member

El Morro/Crystal Cove?

Is the backcountry open again? I saw some website indicating all but Elevator/slow&easy are open but unsure.

Can I ride Fenceline/Rattlesnake/ThinkICan loop once again or should I stay out?

Thanks

6. qdave

qdave New Member

The whole park appears to be open. Washout at the bottom of Elevator that I walked across, otherwise trail looks good. Slow and Easy is in good shape. I've been skipping Rattlesnake. The fire road out is in really bad shape and is getting taken over by mustard weed.

7. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    andrew- i'm pretty sure your info is correct. we rode rattlesnake a few weeks ago. it was in great shape, but we really liked the fireroad below it--it's like s/t now! we didn't drop mach 1, but there were no closed signs. i'd call 'em up to be sure.

8. bert278

bert278 New Member

just got home from a el mo ride and there are signs and barricades at #2 gate closing the drop down to elevator and heard slow and easy is closed ...at the bottom of emerald falls (bvd) the trail is closed towards the ocean in the canyon...

9. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Rattlesnake

Rode El Moro & LCW on Saturday. The park is in great condition as Dirtvert said. Here's a clip of a poor run down Rattlesnake. I was expecting it to be different as mentioned by a few, but it turned out to be the same as before the storm.

[youtube]pCQ3k_4o6b8[/youtube]

10. bvader

Tech Guy
    I rode Rattlesnake this weekend too, I was one that mention it was different, but also agree that it as"quickly" returned, there was still some moisture when I rode it before and thus it was a bit slicker and so I was having trouble holding my line. You can also see where someone (chopper I think) it trying to close down the left cheater line. Also the "Fire Road" after which is now a single track can be a bit treacherous if you are not paying attention there are some serious ruts.

11. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    ^^^^^Makes rockit look like child's play. Thanks for sharing.

12. bvader

Tech Guy
    Cool thing about Rattlesnake is there is a line down the middle that's pretty stout I have not cleaned it yet, I typically "Snake" down it ;) but not cheat..which is a pretty good challenge.

13. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

As an FYI -- I know most of you guys don't care, but El Moro is still closed after the recent rain. Laguna and Aliso Woods are open.

14. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I wanted to ride it yesterday; however, I called down to the ranger station and they said it is still closed after the recent rain. There was a sign posted by the Ridge Park gate. Laguna Coast and Aliso Woods are open. There were new ruts dropping in and climbing up the hill on Bommer from Ridge Park. From what I rode on Bommer and Laguna Coast was good except for a couple of muddy spots in the usual spots. I may have cut through fenceline and it may have been in great shape except for a few ruts where it was muddy and other people rode it recently.

15. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Update from the Crystal Cove site:

Crystal Cove State Park

30-Mar-2011 7:07am

[​IMG]parkstatus.org
    The trails are open as follows: The ridge loop, W. Cut Across, Poles, & I Think I Can are open. Stop at El Moro office for map.

16. Jorge Lujan

Jorge Lujan New Member

Rode it this morning. Fenceline is good, and the outer loop is open. Most of the central trails are closed with signs posted at each closure. There's a lot of seeping water areas mid way down the hills.
    The Willow trail down to Laguna canyon road is in good condition for a good down and back workout.

17. robmcd

robmcd Member

Bartender, Eco-tour guide, Scallywag (trader joes)
    I rode LCWP yesterday and it wasnt bad at all. I didnt know about El Morro being closed nor did I see any signs saying so. We started at my place south of downtown, climbed up at the watertower to Bomber. Did fenceline and it was fine except for a few wet spots in the usual locations. From fenceline we went back on Bomber and because we were strapped for time, decided to take El Morro ridge trail out to PCH as an exit (once again we saw no signs or indicators that EM was closed). The ridge to PCH was fine as well. As a matter of fact, there was a heavy equipment crew out there last week doing a little bit of grading and adding some drainage bars. The drainage bars that were added are a little larger than usual, about 1.5 to 2' high, and make great little launching bumps on some of the steeper portions of the trail, with nice downhill landings. Needless to say I used all of my 6.5'' of travel on them.....

18. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I wonder if it is the same crew that put in 20+ drainage bars on I Think I Can?

19. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

Rode Crystal Cove today. Had no idea that is was closed because there were no signs at the gates. I rode Moro ridge down to the beach and the new grating has made a killer whoop de do section on the steep part. I must have hit one going 20mph and launched about 20 feet.

have fun.

20. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    Quail Hill Trail - Open and Dry

Just rode Quail Hill and Serrano Ridge today, it was open and is 90% dry. Some existing ruts are deeper but nothing extremely technical. The sun reminded me it can still kick my arse - glad I used sunscreen! \\:D/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.