El Dood's DIY Corner: Headset Stuff

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by el_d00der1n0, May 20, 2008.

1. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    Brain you are my hero, I bet you can take apart a diesel engine, bare-handed while babysitting.:lol:

2. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

another good one by eld00derific!!! :bang::bang::bang:

Hopefully mods can compile all DIY's and be sticky'ed.

3. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

So, you have parts from two headsets?

Aheadsets, are loose bearing's. Cartridge headsets use sealed bearings.

4. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

cheap chain whip

A plumber's strap wrench is cheap and works great.

And on occasion I've just jammed the cassette teeth in a piece of soft pine 2 x 4. But doesn't always grip enough on a stubborn one. The strap wrench is about 1/3 a chain whip price.

5. .8down

.8down Active Member

cool, Im glad you did the split pipe headset removal thing, I was wondering if that was gonna work :)

6. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    well, the bearings come out of the cups if that's what you mean, but the old headset had bearings that you could see the balls. this headset comes with sealed cartridge bearings that go in the cups.

oh yeah, thanks for posting that. i can't take credit for the idea. it worked really well. i was concerned it wouldn't contact the inside properly, but it seated rather nicely.

7. ChipsandSalsa

ChipsandSalsa New Member

Dooder,

Do you have any interest in a conducting a tutorial on wheel building? :)

8. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
  9. PacMan

PacMan New Member

That's exactly what I use. It works awesome. A friend asked me to help him install a headset once "because he knew I had the tools since I had done my own numerous times." I pulled out the "tools"--block of 2x4 and a mallet. He got worried and asked me if it would damage the headset, bike frame or fork. I reminded him that wood is softer than metal (duh) and less the 5 minutes later the cups and fork race were in.

We also use a wedge shaped block to remove the cups and fork races and that works great too.

10. PacMan

PacMan New Member

You can make your own with an old section of chain and small/skinny Phillips screwdriver. Run the screwdriver through both ends and that's it. I have the proper tool at home but have used this method a few times. Works like a charm.

11. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

cool thanks man

12. .8down

.8down Active Member

yeah some random guy posting on DIY.com wont make me go out and do it but thankfully you like to take chances...:)

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Ok, then its Not an Aheadset, Its a sealed headset. which is good, but Aheadsets are the nonsealed type like you had!!!

I like your ingenuity, your remover you made is pretty much exactly what the tool actually is, the washer trick is far better than using a hammer and a block of wood. But I would go after using PVC pipe for the race installer!!!

14. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    But it says "Aheadset" on it??? :?:

The mallet and wood concerns me because you won't have much opportunity to make sure it goes in straight if it's tight in there.

I couldn't find PVC that I thought would fit right. The ID on 1 1/4 was just a little big when I was at the hardware store. The galvanized hasn't hurt anything yet, the clearances are very close, and it has some weight, so all you have to do is drop it like once.

15. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    So while we are on the headset thing, yesterday in the shop, and old lady brought in a really old tricycle for kids, that had a bike seat in the back but also a small seat. The kids this was made for must be tiny, but anyways, she wanted us to fix it because the handlebars and wheel were moving alot. We took a look at it and found out that the plastic spacer that acted somewhat as a headset had snapped and did not exist anymore.. well we took it apart and figured out a way to fix it. Then we had an idea, we got a 1" headset, and looked at it, it looked a little too big but heck, we tried it.. A couple twists of the tool and that sucker popped in. We're talking upwards of a 40 year old trike with a Headset on it! it worked flawlessly and the bars are awesome now. We also found spacers to fix the front wheel from moving side to side as you pedal. We were all kind of skeptical of the whole headset thing, but it worked well and surprised us all.

16. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The thread and washer device can go off center unless you have a washer that matches the inside diameter of the headset. Chris King has their very own adapter for the purpose (it has to not touch the already installed bearings)

17. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Old ladies and 40y/o trikes huh? Why you young little.....when ya gonna learn,old guys rule!:lol: (good job fixing the trike.)- Lloyd

18. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, but you get a little more opportunity to correct it right? I have some bushings, a piece of cut steer tube, and bought more washers so I could guide better this time, but the cups went in a little too easily. I just cranked them down a touch to make sure they were in all of the way.

19. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Hard to believe, i didnt fix it myself it was actually my boss that toyed with it he jsut let me sitch and watch (and i held the Headset pressing tool for a second 8-[)
    and actually, alot of the older ladies seem to like us for wahtever reason. We had a ~33 year old mom that was looking for a cruiser bike to ride around the streets with her kids and i told her she should get a 3 spd since we offer lifetime service which includes free gear adjustments, so she'd get more for her money if she got one and brought it in every few weeks so we can adjust everything.
    She then said she had gone to 4 other shops and i was by far the most help. All i did was answer her questions though...
    Oh then i went on and said something like
    "Wow NO other shops in the area could answer your questions and help you out? I guesss a 15 year old knows best ;)" she was also surprised when i told her we could order anything in the catalogs i gave her and it would take ~1 week to recieve and build it unless they could not ship for some reason. :bang:
    Im gettting better at this job

20. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Good for you.That's what's called good salesmanship and it gets repeat customers.When I worked in a hunting and fishing shop,I would think back to the worst salesperson I met...and try to be the opposite of that person.Keep up the good work.Oh,and 33 isn't that old,that's a babes to me!(Don't let some of the STR ladies hear you say that.) lol :lol: - Lloyd