Eggbeaters pedal with Road shoes...

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by digitaldouble, Nov 6, 2011.

1. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    I love my CB eggbeaters on my MTB so when I got my Road bike, I installed the CB Candies pedals I had prior to the eggbeaters.
    Riding my Road bike with my MTB Shimano shoes was great, no problem latching and unlatching, but I decided to get some lighter Road Shoes. (Izumi Race)
    Problem is that the Road shoes Sole is slippery and doesn't have the guides that the MTB sles provides, and so far after 2 rides It's still difficult to latch in...
    Also I cannot really walk in those shoes because I am stepping on the brass cleats.

I noticed that there are CB cleats that are designed for 3 holes shoes which also provides some guides and protections for the brass cleats.
    Does anybody have any experience with those ?
    Or any other recommendations will be great
    Also how about the Crank Brothers (discontinued) Quattro pedals -are those recommended? any real benefit over the Eggbeaters or candies ?
    http://www.bikebling.com/Crank-Brothers-Quattro-Cleats-p/crankbros-quattro-cleats.htm

OR does the pontoons makes more sense ?
    http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discount/standard-road-cleats-egg-beaters-pair/

2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Well I actually used to use the Quattro and I liked them, they were a little big and clunky but loved the 2 sided entry and the platform...in a rush if you missed you were still ok... *except* when I climbed long climbs the rubber/plastic part of the outer cleat would rub/squeak *very* loud against the pedal...especially on hot dry days. It got to the point it bothered so much I started to look for new pedals. One day I stopped by the cranks bros and in typically fashion the talked to me and basically said "yeah we know" and he gave me a new pair of the cleats that was made from a slightly different material and was not supposed to do that, but before I did I had the bug to try something new so I got a pair of Keos which I like except for when I miss the cleat and fumble the clip in ;) Those new cleats are still sitting on the shelf somehwere. The old cleat was the same shape and it did make walking better / easier. For $19 I would give it a try.

Don't know about the outboards.

On the tandem I use candy's and my Mountain bike shoes... and on my fixie which you really need easy dual sided clip in I use candys and I got a pair of Specialized "urban / tahoe" shoes and its a great combo.

In the end...ride what you like

Hope that helps a bit.

3. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    Thanks Bvader,
    Probably that's why they discontinued the Quattro's:)
    The Road cleats (pontoons) are obsolete as well, I guess it didn't work right either.
    So my best hope is now the 3 holes converters.
    Sent en email to CB last night, asking for advice.

4. XLPARAGON

XLPARAGON Member

A little of this and that
    Like you I ride eggbeaters on my MTB and I also installed the candies on my road bike when I first got it. One of the reasons was, that way I would not need to get another pair of shoes. I finally decided to get a pair of road shoes and also went with the Speedplay's. Double sided entry like the candies but less likely to pop out which I did a few times, fortunately never catastrophically. After putting quite a few miles on the Speedplay's I am glad I went with them for the road though I still love the eggbeaters on my MTB.

5. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Wouldnt some of the super-high-end MTB shoes double fairly well as roadie shoes? combine your investment from both sports and you're in range...

6. XLPARAGON

XLPARAGON Member

Probably but he did say that he bought a pair of road shoes...:)
    It is nice having a road specific pair though. If the mtb shoes are wet or muddy it is nice to be able to put on the dry and clean road shoes when doing a road ride. Besides the muddy road shoes don't go well with Lycra...what would the roadies think!??!?!!?

7. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    As you said... Super high end... - $450.00 ???

Main reason to go with Road shoes for me was the weight.
    Approx 1030 grams for the pair of Shimano mt42 and approx 750 for the Perl Izumi Race shoes
    http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-R...H9XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320691900&sr=8-1
    Also The MTB shoes looks like...burly MTB shoes and doesn't go well with my skinny Road bike
    http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SH-MT...LKS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320691969&sr=8-2
    I already had 2 sets of CB pedals and cleats so the $80 investment in new road shoes was a no brainer.

8. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    I have the three hole road cleats on the candy 11 on my Dogma. The plastic guard on the cleats actually makes perfect contact with the pedals. I do lots of climbing and so far haven't have any problems disengaging. I love the double sided entry and easy exit. I also have a pair of titanium speed plays but been holding back on switching over because I'm so comfortable with the candy. I started out with my mountain sworks mountain shoes but then later bought a pair of Gearne G-myhtos and now just got a pair of yellow Mavic zxellium ultimate. All shoes worked fine with no rubbing what so ever.. Walking is also so much easier versus my friends who have speed plays, who have to carry the coffee shop cover with them, or else.... Give them a try. They are cheap in price. I got them at wheel world.

9. XLPARAGON

XLPARAGON Member

Not supposed to walk in them...:lol:

I have had the speedplays for about 2 years now and while the cleats are just about done they are a great pedal. If you don't want those titanium speedplays or just want me to check to make sure they work I would be more than willing.:beer:

10. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    Thanks ka0t1c07
    I ordered yesterday the CB 3 holes cleats from Bikebling after I got a reply from CB saying that's what I need.
    Wheelworld is close-by (Woodland Hills) but I couldn't find these cleats on their WWW site.

BTW, my problem is more engaging, as the sole is slippery (especially when riding in the recent rain) and without guides it's difficult to latch.
    Hopefully as you said, the 3 holes adapter cleats will resolve this issue.

11. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    They will be a bit hard to get into the first few rides. But after the cleats wear in, it just snaps right in and hold you tightly.

Thanks for your offer Xlparagon, but one day I'll make the switch. As for now, if I use speed plays, most riders will want to test my bike. Hehe

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I see a lot of roadies using the egg beaters and the Candies. Seems to work very well on a road bike. I've never tried them as I like a larger foundation pedal. I did run the Speedplays for about a year but got hot spots and found it to difficult to walk in them. So now I'm back to SPD roadie pedals with mtb shoes. Comfortable and a little heavy, but worth it to me. I'm finding it very difficult to find a road shoe that fit's my feet and isn't priced the same as an old used car.

13. riiz

riiz Member

This whole time I thought I was alone in using eggbeaters on my road bike, haha. But I still use my Pearl Izumi MTB shoes on my road bike, I cant justify spending the money on a set of shoes I cant walk in.

14. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

my old Sidi MTB shoes are super trashed and my 'gently used' pair of Shimano road shoes are begging to get dirty! :)

so thinking of using the Shimano road shoes for MTB with eggbeaters. Has anybody tried this (I think this thread was for eggbeaters on road bikes)? Road shoes cleats are three hole and MTB two, but looks like CB quattro cleat adaptor will work for that. I think they are discontinued but this would be waaaay cheaper than getting new shoes. Worried maybe it will not clean as easily or height/fitting issues though.....

any ideas???

they look like this >>
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=130101

15. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I'm sure it would work, but I bet you'd be hating life the first time you had to do any hike-a-bike. Road shoes on a loose slope has gotta be like roller skating on marbles.

16. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

good point - yeah probably wouldn't work out too well on Los Pinos :)

I would use these for racing when I don't need to clip out much if at all, I'll use my old ones for HAB.

17. sstad

sstad New Member

Engineer
    I've been riding my road bike with egg beaters for years. It is real awkward if you find the need to walk in them, but they perform fine otherwise. Clipping in becomes easier as the cleats wear a little. As easy as the old Time pedals I used to use, and walking is about the same as well. EB's are bullet proof, in that they dont get dirty and plug up, they dont have a "right side up", etc.

Keep ridin' 'em.