Easton EA90 or Dura Ace 7850 or Mavic Krysium

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by mloteyro, Apr 16, 2010.

?

Which wheelset?

1. Dura Ace 7850

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Easton EA90 Aero

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Easton EA90 SL

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Easton EA90 SLX

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Mavic Krysium SL

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mloteyro

mloteyro New Member

So my thread "My New Baby" featured my bike, based on how it looks, I am looking to upgrade my wheelset from Bontrager Select to either the Easton EA90 Aero, SL, SLX or Dura Ace 7850 clinchers. I am throwing in the Mavic Krysium SL too. Main reason I like these models is because they are light and they match my frame. Which do you think is better? I mainly use my bike as a commuter. On weekends, I ride the hills to make me a better climber on my mountain bike.

I am reposting pic of my bike below:
    [​IMG]

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I have Eastons and LOVE them! I use the EA 90, I think the SLX. I've had them for a few years, no probs. I even had a few spokes broken during a race; they replaced them perfectly and were pretty quick about it. Plus, they're light and perfect for climbing.

3. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

On a commuter, I'd go with the one thats most durable and easiest to fix.

I would just commute with what you got now...and run the nice wheels on the weekend.

Out of those wheels...I'd go with the Aeros. Back in December...Jenson had them for 500.

4. chrisonfire

chrisonfire New Member

ill take the selects off your hands! :beer:

...but regarding the topic...i love mavics.
    i havent had experience with the ksyriums but
    every other mavic ive rode and owned has been solid.

5. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    If you are using the bike as a commuter get a nice set of wheels built with standard easy to find / repair spokes.
    For example if you want a light quick and durable set of wheels go for:
    Mavic Open Pro 28h rims
    Shimano hubs (105 and up depending on how much bling you want)
    and DT Swiss Super Comp spokes

Much more customizable and great for commuting.

I've done the proprietary wheel tech thing and I'm just more happy with the easy to build easy to maintain old school wheels.

Maybe they'd look something like this *Note these are 32h ultegra / open pro / dt swiss comp spokes:

66361.jpg

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

My vote goes to DT Swiss........RR1450.

I have been running these for 3.5 years with zero issues....and I am 205-215 lbs. Stiff...super reliable....standard spokes. 1450g

[​IMG]

7. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
  8. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I've been using the Dura-Ace wheels for about 3 months now for only Cat 5 Races and 100 to 200 mile timed rides (Death Valley 200, Mulhollond Challenge, and Amgen Stage 8) and had 0 issues after 1000 miles of hard riding in two months over some iffy roads.

That being said, I don't use them for any training or commuting...I use a durable, reliable, inexpensive set of Aksiums for that stuff. If you're going to spend $$$$ on wheels, you want to make them last where they'll make a difference. Commuting is not one of those places even if the $$$$ wheel is bulletproof. Keep the selects for commuting...you'll appreciate the better wheels even more when you swap them in on your longer rides.

9. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

True words Dan. I currently ride the Ksyriums for commuting and they've been very reliable. Very stiff and I can use them for the occasional cross race with no issues. My boss has ridden the Ksyriums also and swears by the Dura-Ace carbons over them for their incredible ride quality. Much smoother, yet still very stiff laterally. They're very solid from what I've seen, which is I admit limited. A set of Aksiums will do the job and are practical, but where's the fun in that? Also check out the carbon Ultegras if you want sexy on a budget.

10. mloteyro

mloteyro New Member

Based on what I have heard from Others, I might just hang on to them for Backup. If not, it will be on CL for $125.

FYI I just want to make the bike look cool but at the same time, last.

don't want a cool looking bike only to have it break in a few months.

11. mloteyro

mloteyro New Member

:-s

12. Salter77

Salter77 OMGWAFJ...

HMFIC
    Did you look at any of the Fulcrums? My 7's are kinda heavy,but bombproof! Perfect wheels for everyday riding and I have seen people use them for CX. I love the loud hub as well, makes it nice when your passing because people already know you're there. The lighter 5's are on sale right now at Jenson and would look sharp on your rig.

13. mloteyro

mloteyro New Member

Oh great, now you are adding more to my confusion :-k They do look nice.

14. Endo Verendo

Endo Verendo sure

studio camera operator
    Home Page:
    Or get the Road Tubeless version Dura Ace wheels and bash away to your hearts content... at low psi they'll smooth out the roughest roads.

15. Mondo

Mondo aka Mondo

Bike stuff
    Home Page:
    I actually sold my Mavic Ksyrium SL's to get the DT Mon Chasseral wheelset...much happier with the way these sprint off the line, climb and handle in cross-winds (although the Dura Ace wheels are pretty nice). :bang:

16. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I'm still not sold on Road Tubeless...just like I'm not sold on tubulars because I don't have a personal SAG wagon or ride in circles. Every recent flat/puncture I've gotten has been due to something that I can recover from because I can replace the tube (asphalt roofing staples are the most fun and least visible) and at worst use a tire boot to get me the rest of the way home. And from what I hear, prying the bead away from the rim to shove a tube in there in a worst case scenario is a &%&$#@!.

17. mloteyro

mloteyro New Member

Yes, that's the Dura Ace wheelset I was looking at or the carbon laminate version. although they can run tubeless, I was going to use tubes. But then again, based on the experience I have with Stan's no tubes, with enough juice in there, roofing nails beware!

18. mloteyro

mloteyro New Member

This wheelset weighs 1900 grams but does that look cool or what? I might just go for the Mavics or Easton though. Just wanted to throw the picture in. This guy across the street from me selling this wheelset for $250, Bontrager Race.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mloteyro

mloteyro New Member

Thanks to all who participated. As I was about to purchase the Ksyrium SL, My buddy sent me a link to performance bike that had the EA90 SLX for $425. I couldn't pass up on that offer so I bought it. With the money I saved, someone on Craigslist was selling an EC90 SLX fork for $160. So I purchased that too. Let me know if you are interested in a Carbon Fork, $60. the fork has about 20 miles of use.