Dude wrecked at Santiago Oaks...WTF

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Judge Shredd, May 24, 2012.

1. Judge Shredd

Judge Shredd Member

Professional Student
  2. PATKOUG

PATKOUG Member

RIDER
    Looks like Shawn was seated when he hit that little/mini jump (that I suspect he didn't know was there until it was too late) and while his suspension fork soaked up the transition to a degree--his hardtail (wasn't about to be soakin up nothin and instead) bucked him right over the bars cuz he was seated.

You can see it all unfold in the slow-motion replay that starts at 1:12.

Shawn hits the transition around 1:24-ish, gets bucked forward, and nose-wheelies till about 1:32-ish before finally rotating all the way over his bars.

Too bad for Shawn.

Hopefully he'll get back to normal quickly.

OTBs always suck.

3. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Yeah that looks like a crazy spot to wipeout, let alone go OTB, but I guess as patkoug noted, he was seated when he got caught off guard and got bucked..I assume the combination of being seated and probably seated in a relatively high climbing mode vs a dropped seat for descending didn't help matters and made it even easier to get tossed off the bike.. I've watched it a couple of times and still seems like a strange one..

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    No comment, grabs popcorn....

5. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    I once crashed going down Telegraph at CHSP. Stupid floorboards on the trail were shifty.

In other words, it can happen at any time!

6. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

So true. I've been taking crap for 2 months for eating it on BFI and tweaking my shoulder. If anyone doesn't know BFI, it's a partly paved "fire road" coming down Moro Ridge in Crystal Cove.

7. Jack

Jack Member

Looks like Cactus and hit one of those bumps wrong. Beginning of video, he tells camera buddy "be careful out there." Tweaked shoulder sucks.

8. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
  9. brown chicken brown cow

brown chicken brown cow Member

if that was Cactus, I know the feeling...that's where i snapped my clavicle.
    Second roller threw me forward, #-o it sucked!

10. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    True.. great points to keep in mind.. I guess it can happen anywhere at any time.. it doesn't have to be the most tech section of a trail..initially just looked like a strange place to go OTB but honestly I don't ride Cactus (if that's the one) so I am not familiar with the layout of that trail..

11. Topaz

Topaz New Member

I go years without a crash then I crash climbing uphill going about 5mph. 6am, lack of sleep, day dreaming, out of my seat climbing with wide bars bobbing back and forth and just clipped a tree/root that was elbow high growing out of the side of the hillside of a singletrack. Torqed my bars, went over and completely taco'd my front wheel with some medium scratches on my elbow. Shit happens. Always wear a helmet!

12. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    In moto, we call that a seat bounce. Really effective, throttle required though...

13. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

i think speed is ur friend down chutes, the slower the harder. But on cactus i feel for your buddy. that second jump nose dives me every time. Like said above my revelation and FS bike soak up my bad mistakes.

14. kcm

kcm New Member

just last friday, going down Peralta, when you make that hard right before the steep drop, a hawk flew by in front...
    of course I had to look.. ..OTB was worth it...

15. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    who's giving you crap for going DOWN BFI?

16. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

The times I've fallen the hardest and gotten hurt the most were in spots that just don't make any sense and weren't technical.

I separated my shoulder and needed stitches to my forearm because I fell coming off one of those boards in the streams in Aliso one morning and slid across the concrete (which is a rough surface). We were just cruising down Wood Canyon to warm up for doing Cholla-RockIt or something. It was a little dark and my front wheel hit some of that moss as I came off the board I think and it washed out quickly.

A couple weeks ago, I fell climbing Cholla :?:and landed hard onto my elbow, aggravating the shoulder I separated last fall... I got a couple deep thigh bruises while descending non-technical fireroads when I first started riding.

That's why I wear my helmet all the time (even on climbs) and, now, I wear my elbow and knee pads even when I am not riding some of the more technical descents--which I've never gotten hurt on (i.e. Chutes, Luge, Lynx, RockIt, etc.).

I hope Shawn's ok, and the OP realizes that he needs not to be cautious and shouldn't take easy sections for granted.

On an unrelated note: I noticed that Shawn's bike has reflectors on it...

17. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

You're missing some fun. Cactus is my 2nd favorite descent in Oaks. At first, I found it to be kind of a "P.I.T.A." but it's the trail that I learned how to ride switchbacks well on--that section at the bottom. I rode it yesterday morning and had a blast. It's also got a couple chunky spots if you look for them and take those lines if that's what you prefer. It's a great way to mix it up. I went down Chutes Ridgeline, climbed up Chutes then went down Cactus to Bumblebee and back out.

18. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I broke my collar bone at the fullerton loop parking lot....END OF THREAD

19. Judge Shredd

Judge Shredd Member

Professional Student
    I didn't realize that there was a bump/jump where he went down. It's hard to tell from the video, just looks flat and smooth.

20. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Thanks.. I will give it a try.. we're so focused on Chutes and occasional Mtn Goat or Hawk drops, etc but haven't been on Cactus.. will check it out for sure..

I can't beat that at all.. but funny thing too is last year in Whistler I was cleaning some rough terrain and doing well, feeling confident (perhaps too confident) but then took a very nasty wipeout on a relatively flat rocky drop down type of section that wasn't even a trail, it was more of a short transition from one trail to another, but going at a high rate of speed (as we all do in Whistler) the suspension compressed just enough so that my pedal locked on a rock, bike basically stopped and my momentum catapulted me bigtime OTB.. my son thought I was dead [​IMG] but just bruised ribs, and a dark red bruise on my hip the size of a small dinner plate.. I had that hip bruise for at least a month..