DT Swiss RWS 9mm skewer + Hope Pro 2 front hub

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Chewyeti, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

no problem. glad everything got worked out :)

still wondering if anyone has a lathe and wants to make me a new axle sleeve for my DT Onyx hub :wave:

2. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

i used like 10 different bits to open the hole up a little at a time.

I shoulda used my buddie's lathe....
    but i got accurate enough results, and it kicks ass.

3. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

I've only ridden up and down the street. Can't tell about an improvement yet. But I did the "wheel between the legs and torque the handlebar" check and I wasn't terrible impressed.:welcome:

4. krispe

krispe New Member

I've just purchased a 9mm RWS and will be drilling out my front Hope Pro 2 hub to fit it. However I did send the below email to Hope about a 9mm adapter and also got their response.

My email:-

"Hi there
    I’m emailing to express my interest in a 9mm through bolt adapter for hope pro 2 front hubs. All 3 of my bikes run hope Pro 2 hubs and standard QR forks. I’m looking to increase the strength and rigidity of the front end of my bikes without having to buy 3 new 20mm or 15mm bolt through forks. I’ve just purchased a DT Swiss RWS 9mm thru bolt and am looking to enlarge the hole on one of my current hope QR hubs to 9mm to accommodate it with an upright drill bench. However I’d be much happier purchasing a correct size adapter directly from yourselves and then fitting them to all my bikes. I’d be also interested in a Hope 9mm through bolt as well if you also made these.

All the biking magazines now go on about the benefits of bolt through forks, but there are thousands of us out there with standard 9mm QR forks that want a bit more stiffness and extra security without having to buy a new £400+ fork.
    Please let me know if you have any plans to make a 9mm Hope Pro 2 through bolt adapter.

Kind Regards

Christopher Petty"

Hope's Response:-

"Thank you for your e-mail, it has been mentioned to our design department. They have said it is possible for them to do, so hopefully we will have something available within a couple of months.

Customer Service
    Hope Technology
    Fernbank Mill
    Fernbank Avenue
    Barnoldswick
    Lancashire
    BB18 5UY"

I would still suggest others also email [email protected], to help push this along as there may be a real chance they will make the adapters.

5. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

pretty simple to make on a lathe if you wanted to do it "correctly".... lets see what hope comes out with

6. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Good job!!!

I'm tellin' ya, You guys are going to extreme lengths to get these "perfect" when the rest of the "system" allows for allot of variance. Consider how much play there is between the axle and the drop out....

Use a drill press. Chuck up a std QR shaft and spin it to "center" the cap then clamp it down. Put in the correct Drill bit and punch it!!

7. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    That's what I thought when i drilled out my Laserdisc lites.
    I think I got it pretty centered, because I had drilled some 1/2" aluminum bushings to go inside the caps to provide support and the skewer pushed all the way through and felt tight. After drilling out the cap, there is only a 3/32" rim of aluminum supporting the axle, so bushings add insurance.
    If the axle is off center enough, it could cause the disc to rub the pads if your endcaps are indexed differently each time.

8. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Hope is finally releasing a Pro II 9mm t/b conversion kit of their own. Available from Hope directly as of right now for $33.

[​IMG]

9. b-40

b-40 Giggity, Giggity, Goo....

helicopter hydraulic flight controls
    33 #-osheesh! send me your old 5mm qr bushings and i'll chuck them up in my lathe and ream them out to the desired 9mm fo only 30 :lol:

if any body really wants them done send them to me and i'll do em for 10:bang: