Downieville Summer Kick Off III

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by andy aka rut, Apr 28, 2009.

1. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Sorry Andy

Free Bump - :bang:

READ the QUOTES :)

2. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Greg,
    late reply but were you able to get some shuttle times?
    If not let me know asap!

3. rmb socal

rmb socal Canadian by employment

Bike pitcher
    Home Page:
    Hey all,

If Yuba is filling up, try Downieville Outfitters for shuttle times. (530) 289-0155 I had to book some later ones with them, Yuba was sold out for Thursday, Friday afternoon last time I checked.

4. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    Those cabins were a bit scary. (theme from deliverence)

well then I can only plan what must be plun. Like the oceans swelling so will my vengance. I never wanted everyone to know who I am. Otherwise i would have entered the bike sumo COMPETITION!

5. rmb socal

rmb socal Canadian by employment

Bike pitcher
    Home Page:
    Goal for this year: to not get lost in the woods with survivor man(Paul), Tazernuts, DirtyD, and the rest of the crew again. I thought we all were cougar bait for sure! Bummer you can't stay longer this year man.

6. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Last year, with gas prices hovering at $5 a gallon, shuttle prices were $20 a ride. Have no idea what they will be this year.

I think you should all pay Art, or Hugh or anyone with a big crew cab truck, 7 or 8 of you, to have someone shuttle his truck down to Downieville, and that person then rides the shuttle back up to the top, or grows a pair and climbs back up from there to Sierraville, then up the XC climb course to Packard saddle. Anyone man or woman enough to race CC, VQ or the Traverse can handle the vertical climb up the fire road. About 7 miles and 3000 feet, I think, from Sierraville.

7. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    I actually dont mind being cougar bait.

Attached Files:

• 01a.jpg
      01a.jpg
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
  8. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is on Topic cause if you go riding with this metioned group you will know what i speak of, when you hear screatching doors, hill billy music and motos following you, pedal FAST!

So friggen Pissed I cant make this!! trip. And for all you laid back folk Mtbr and the socal locals like to party. lol! it can be SHOCKING at times.. and it never ends. So no whining just sit Back and enjoy the show.

9. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!

description of day one. up for 36 hrs straight!

leave home, drive through the night to d-ville arrive in early a.m have beer in town about 5:30 a.m set up pound a yeager and redbull climb a very steep hill for about 30min. the descend the heavenly 17 miles of Dh, arrive in town to make your shuttle, visit quad boobs;).

Followed by Tallboys and a sandwich. sleep on the shuttle with ozzy blasting, proceed to cook food and drink your face off till All the booze is gone, wake up and repeat, this time you do two shuttle runs!
    & repeat.
    THe time of your life:beer::bang:
    The key is to not stop drinking till the night before you drive home.

10. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Oh, Jared... hush.

Some of us here have forgotten more about "partying" than you'll ever know :lol:. We 'old guys' enjoy a good night's rest because those crazy days take their toll. But hey, all you partiers... have at it! D-ville's about good times, and we love the entertainment! :beer: (soda)

11. Bionicon

Bionicon New Member

Yes I'm doing good. the big problem is it is the weekend before my Wifes BSRN Finals. And I am trying to get some help with the 2 yr old from family so she can study an I can come up.

If I make it up, I will gladly lead the Safari Group. we'll just pick a different random road this time! Gotta keep mixing it up.

12. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    If so count me in.

13. GoJohnGo

GoJohnGo New Member

Consultant
    What are the dates?

14. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

From MTBR:

Downieville Gathering: time to reserve a campsite! June 5-7
    Hey all! Good news. The Downieville Gathering will yet again be at Packsaddle campground, near Packer Lake and just 2 mi. from Packer Saddle (the DH shuttle drop-off). I spoke with a ranger about using the campground for our event and not only were they okay with it, they are going to accommodate us with extra dumpsters and allow us to overfill the campground (assuming no negative impact on the terrain.) So we're on!

Next step is to book the place out. If you plan on attending and want to help, we would appreciate some volunteers to go online and reserve a site for the days you plan to attend. These would either be Friday and Saturday nights, or Thurs, Friday and Saturday nights if you want to come up early. Looks like there are 7 more available at this point. Five sites are always left as first come, first served, so we'll get those the weekend of the gathering.

To reserve, go to
    http://www.recreation.gov
    Search: packsaddle in the left column
    Enter date of arrival, then book it!

We will all be sharing camp space, so just know that you will be responsible for collecting fees from your fellow campers. But this is the spirit of the event and it has gone off without a hitch in years past. It's going to be another great gathering! Mark your calendars!

15. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Or from here....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=519091

Get ready for the 3rd Annual Downieville Summer Kick-off Gathering! We're excited about this year's event. We've got several sponsors taking part this year: WTB, Crank Bros, DT Swiss, Intense, Ellsworth, Tifosi, 661, Lagunitas, the Bruery, and many others! On top of that, thanks to hundreds of hours from the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewards, we'll be riding freshly groomed trails with new features and added sections! The weather seems to be cooperating with us as well, and this heat wave will help to melt the remaining snowpack! It's going to be a great time.

We're three weeks away! For those of you that have attended, you know what to expect. But for everyone else wondering what this is all about, here are all the details you'll need to know in order to plan for an awesome weekend of riding and camping.

THE PLACE
    USFS Packsaddle Campground- located 3 miles west of Gold Lake Hwy. on Packer Lake Road. Elevation 6000 feet. Facilities: developed campsites, piped water and vault toilets.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...06877&t=h&z=17

There are 15 spacious sites, some with room for a trailer or RV.

THE ENVIRONMENT
    As with all our gatherings, collaboration is the spirit of the weekend. We have reserved the entire campground and will be sharing our campsites. When you arrive, just introduce yourself and if there is room, set up your tent! We'll all pitch in to pay for the site usage, which will no doubt be on the cheap. The Rangers are allowing us to exceed the maximum number of campers per site since we're all together. That is HUGE! They know we're a responsible, fun-loving group. Let's prove that once again.

THE RIDING
    There are countless riding opportunities in the Downieville area. The obvious, is the 15 mile downhill trail that begins just 2 miles up the road from the campground. You can pedal it or get a shuttle from town. But there many other trails to ride: Pauley Creek, Big Boulder, Lavezzola Creek, Empire Creek, Chimney Rock, Rattlesnake Creek, Herkimer Mine, and the North Yuba River Trail. All these can be shuttled or ridden XC style for true hammerheads. Snow conditions will determine access.

There are two primary shuttle shops, ready to reserve your run! You can also rent a bike, buy gear, get maintenance or any other bike related need at these great shops. Plan ahead and reserve your spots today, as space is always limited.

Yuba Expeditions
    http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/

Downieville Outfitters
    http://www.downievilleoutfitters.com/

We will possibly lead a group XC ride on Saturday for those interested. This will be an A-Ride that will most likely leave from the campground and hit some remote backcountry before ending up in Downieville yet. This ride will be long and strenuous, many miles and footies of elevation. Not for the faint of heart. If interested, plan for a day in the saddle followed by a long soak in the river in town.

THE VIBE
    Friendly, fun, raucous, respectful, accommodating. That's what it's about. We're a bunch of friends getting together to hang out, ride amazing trails and make good memories together. It's a family friendly event, so bring them! (We do ask that you keep Fido at home if at all possible. Dog party can become dog fight real quick.) We usually keep things pretty mellow, even when we're being loud around the campfire. There are plenty of out-of-the-way campsites if you want to be where it's quiet and plenty right in the thick of the action if you just can't get enough. We'll have one communal campfire area where we gather to tell tales and do our shenanigans. We encourage everyone to participate and make new friends.

THE WEATHER
    We'll be camping at 6,000 feet in the Sierras. Anything goes, so plan accordingly. Most likely, the mornings and evenings will be cold with mild temps through the day, but we've had both 100ยบ days and thunderstorms, so just be prepared. There is a chance that we'll see some remaining snow in the area, but the popular trails with most definitely be open and rideable. More remote trails like Big Boulder could potential have some snowdrifts which would require some portaging, but with the upcoming heat wave, that may not be a problem!

THE BEER!
    The Beer Corral is back and we're working to fill it with some tasty adult beverages. So far, we have Lagunitas and The Bruery in southern CA! We're working on a few others so keep your fingers crossed. If you'd like to help and know any local brewers willing to donate, please let us know!

We're getting pint glasses again! They'll be for sale at the event. Make sure you get one, they hold beer!

16. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    Does anyone want to ride up with me and split gas? Cause you cant, I got the Sleaz in my car.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  17. andy aka rut

I just got an email from Chris King. While they won't be able to make the event, they will be donating product!

:bang:

18. MotoDave

MotoDave New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    By pure coincidence the DV trip I'm planning this summer with 3 friends from college lines up with this weekend. We're staying at one guy's place in Auburn but undoubtedly will see you guys up there.

Anyone know if the shuttles still have room? I'm going to call tomorrow and see about 4 spots on Saturday.

19. andy aka rut

BEER!

Hey you'all!
    Currently we have 3 Major Beer Sponsors! :bang:

Check out the websites and let your mouth start frothing at the bit!!!

www.thebruery.com

www.lagunitas.com

www.21st-amendment.com

We have a few others lined up too, but we are waiting for the commentment. :beer:

One of the things I find most excecptional about a gathering like this is the ability of companies like the ones above that contribute because it is the right thing to do. So if you happen into a store and see any Bruery beer, Lagunitas beer or some 21st-Amendment beer remember what they do for you! These guys rock!!! Thank you!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

20. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Same weekend as the Toad,#-o.