Dont click if you are looking for good news.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by DISCO, Dec 3, 2009.

1. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    Well if the guy was driving a truck that impaired his vision in any way he should be paying alot more attention to his surroundings. Maybe the kid should have had a orange flag on his bike. Who knows

So this situation could have been averted if people were more educated on the transportation they are using. Again Im not trying to be callous but look at the situation and try to learn from the mistakes that were made.

I know if I was this guy I would want to kill myself now.

2. nervosa

nervosa New Member

Accounts Payable and Purchasing
    I saw this on a news program the day it happened, the truck wasnt outrageous, however you cant see,if you cant see, how do you know if its safe to proceed. I dont know what to say, makes my stomach hurt, but how can authorities control it,its legal to raise your truck right? I mean we can do what we want within the guidelines of the law, that doesnt make it right,do I need a lifted truck on city streets,maybe I need it on the weekends to go OHV. If I do, is it MY responsibility to put forth extra effort when on the streets... YES IT IS. I feel the driver was was not operating such a vehicle properly even if its street legal. Remember all is vanity till some kid gets killed. So sad. All I can do is go home, tell my 9 year old daughter this story and make a difference in her life. Lets all do that......

3. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  4. dgaspar

dgaspar I like to burn things

Attorney
    That is not the law. What if, for example, someone makes a sudden left hand turn in front of you or if a pedestrian suddenly darts into traffic in front of you (all of this assuming you are obeying traffic laws and driving carefully)? You are not liable in these situations.

5. calzone

calzone Banned

6. dgaspar

Attorney
    I'm not trying to be argumentative and maybe I paid more attention in law school than driver's ed., but it is simply not true that you are presumed to be at fault simply because you hit something in front of you.

(ETA: Maybe what your are saying is that where someone hits something in front of them, the circumstances of the accident are generally that the driver was at fault. That I would probably agree with).

7. calzone

calzone Banned

8. dgaspar

Attorney
    It's just a trick so that us lawyers can charge people like you a lot money. :p

All kidding aside, a legal presumption of liability means that you walk into court being presumed to be guilty/liable unless you prove otherwise. That is not the case here. A plaintiff or the state still has to prove that you were guilty/negligent.

The point that I added is that I would not be surprised if the vast majority of people who hit stuff did so while either breaking some law or otherwise driving in an unsafe manner. However, just because you hit something does not necessarily mean that you did so because you were breaking some low or driving unsafely.

9. Salter77

Salter77 OMGWAFJ...

HMFIC
    This is just awful thing and Its a tough thought process unless you actually saw what happened. I lived down the street from an Elementary school for 2 years and I had kids weaving in and out of the lane of traffic on bikes all the time. As a responsible driver you pay attention and tell them to be careful(my truck had 35" tires), but I was also 9 years old once and can vividly remember raising hell on my Mongoose Supergoose all over town. You cant put the blame on the driver solely and more then likely that kid rolled the stop sign as me and so many other kids did at that age and still do on my road bike 8 times out of 10. My heart goes out to his family and every parent in america who's child rides a bike in the street.

10. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    You do realize there are limitation laws on how high and low your vehicle is allowed to be for highway use?.....problem is they really aren't enforced anymore.....in the mid 80's I used to get pulled over all the time and given a fix it ticket for my car being too low....same w/ my friends who had lifted Toyota trucks w/ 40's

It's a shame what happened to this boy and feel bad for his parents and the driver....

From what has been written in the article and the conclusions reached on this thread amazes me....there is NO WHERE near enough info given to determine fault or paint a TRUE picture of what happened....I PRAY that some day people won't jump to conclusions sooooooo fast w/ very little info.....

11. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    My thoughts exactly.

12. sandblast

sandblast One less 29er

Buisness phone systems
    Obviously nobody can place blame here without knowing the facts, but I do have an opinion about those fashion trucks. Everybody is pointing out that 9 year old kids behavior on bicycles can be erratic (and mine certainly was at that age), but the driving styles of a huge percentage of the people in those trucks are just as crazy.

Trying to impress the world can be dangerous.

Those over lifted machines serve no purpose other than fashion. They handle poorly on the road(and from what I have seen off the road), tow poorly, and consume incredible amounts of natural resources. These are not opinions. My stock 95 YJ can go anywhere they can off road and plenty of places they cant, properly piloted.

Of course if people want to compensate for other things with their vehicles then there should be no law preventing it, this is America after all, but I do feel it is irresponsible. And don't get me started about the assholes that drive them going 80+mph with there toy haulers swaying behind them. They should be jailed when caught.

This guy knows whether or not his truck caused that accident, and he will have to live with it.

13. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Where I'm from, you wouldn't dare put your life in one of those ridiculous contraptions on trail. It'd be on its side and off a cliff in seconds. On the road, they handle like a garbage scow on the high seas, nearly guarantee a fatality in an accident, and needlessly piss away resources that people have to actually fight and die to acquire.

Just no common decency. Chalk it up to bad parenting.

14. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Really sucks. Dont forget to hug your kids everyday