Dont click if you are looking for good news.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by DISCO, Dec 3, 2009.

1. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

The boy might be alive if the driver didn't lift his truck. It is at least partly the driver's fault. Period. (Look at the photo. That truck is at least a foot higher than normal. Look at the bracket from the trailor hitch to the hitch ball.)

2. YakityYak

YakityYak Is

hate to hear this sort of thing. it's tragic for all

3. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Yet another example of why I don't ride on roads out here in CA. I'll take my chances with the rattlesnakes & mountain lions.

4. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Holy crap, what country did you grow up in? This is America. Have you ever taken any history courses? Do you know what kind of rights our Constitution provides us?

Do you believe it is ok to arrest an neighborhood if the police know that a criminal lives in the neighborhood?

Do you believe that all mountain bikers should be banned from trails because there are a lot of dumbasses that tear up the trails and terrorize hikers and equestrians?

You are right, education doesn't work on dumbasses. That's why we need stricter punishments for dumbasses. But don't punish the rest of us when we have not done anything wrong.

How can you even think your logic works? You just stated that street racing is illegal in your own statement. So how does banning things work when dumbasses will do it anyway? All you do is hurt law abiding citizens because they are the only ones following the law, not the dumbasses. Get in touch with reality.

I blame the problem on weaksauce punishments in America. There is no detterent. We need to bring back chain gangs and shooting squads.

5. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

How many dumbasses know they're dumbasses? I'm just askin'.

6. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Saw it on the news. The driver looked suicidal.

My cousin was killed almost exactly in the same matter when we were 10. He was hit by a motorcycle when he lost control of his bike and veered into the street.

The motorcyclist was a college kid, went over to the curb and slumped over his daypack. Said to the officer that he was sorry, pulled out a gun and shot himself.

It was my cousins fault, but the guy couldn't deal the that he hit a kid and that kid died. Two unecessary deaths because a cyclist made an honest mistake.

To those who want to blame the driver, go ahead if that's the only way you can wrap your head around it. A lot of good it will do.

Driving what you want is not the same as driving how you want - ala the street racing example.

Guarans that if the driver was in any way at fault they would have nailed him on the spot.

We don't need more rules/laws. We need more education and enforcement of the existing ones.

Sh!t happens. You do what you can to keep it from happening to you and yours.

7. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
    First, I freely acknowledge what I wrote is nothing more than a guess about what I believe happened. I'm not an idiot; I'm open-minded enough to realize it could have been anything. My point is that I've seen certain behavior enough to know what makes the likely explanation.

Since the kid was 9 years old, and by the driver's own account (or witnesses, can't tell from the article) the kid waited until the cars had stopped before crossing, I would say the more "horrible ASSumption" is that the kid was doing crazy BMX stunts.

I'm not casting stones or assuming guilt. Just telling it like it is: people have horrible habits at stop signs and so cal drivers are always rushing. Personally, I think 4-way stop signs suck at most intersections, especially those where one road is clearly more primary than the other.

If you must take my post as passing judgement on anything, consider it a call to come up with a better system.

8. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Bro...you need to get off the "sauce" before you come posting on these forums:lol:. You're obviously an enraged leftist extremist...and you must also drive one of them "bifgoots". I see you can't be reasoned with, but I'm not here to convince YOU. Nor am I here to "punish" anyone. We can go on and on, but arguing is pointless. Now...I don't know where YOU grew up, but in MY America the constitution states nothing about your right to "bear a bigfoot". Let's not get embroiled in personal attacks, and remember what this topic is about. I hope all people involved in this tragedy find peace.

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

This is ridiculously stupid to argue about. Thoughts and prayers go out to both families.

I have to say that I have seen several moronic motorist moves when riding on the street, including cars trying to "beat me" to a driveway, a parking space (as though I was going to take in atop my bike), or around a corner.

I have also seen kids doing all sorts of moronic things, like crossing streets on a red, running stop signs (like some of the big boys on road bikes), and riding on the wrong side of the street. The side of the street may not matter, until you think about drivers pulling into traffic, who's attention is primarily on the opposite side of traffic (not where that rider is), and that bikes accel faster than pedestrians.

Regardless, the consequence of this was tragic. If the motorist was at fault, I hope his guilt leads to a positive force in the fight for safer roads and cyclist's rights. If the boy was riding unsafely, I hope that an education of his peer will prevent future tragedies.

A few years ago, we had a tragedy in HB. A kid was riding home on his bike after getting his school schedule when a doped up texting douche hit him, killing him. The case was followed up, and the driver was prosecuted.

However, during this tragic time, when the family was still mourning their loss, several people struck out at them, condemning them for allowing their child to ride his bike on the street (he was riding with traffic and either in the bike lane, or on the sidewalk--a totally safe kid, in the wrong place with the wrong motoring company). (http://www.ocregister.com/news/woods-217324-danny-jury.html?pic=2) Let's not be that judgemental mob.

10. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    LOL, enraged leftist extremist? I think Doug(dirtvert) might disagree with that.

You completely missed the point of my post, but I didn't really expect you to understand. Unfortunately, when you go to vote YES on every single thing that puts more laws and restrictions on law abiding citizens on the books, all I can do is cancel your vote.

You know Manny, you are right. We should ban ALL vehicles in fact. There are way too many dumbass drivers on the road. Didn't you drive anywhere over the Thanksgiving holiday?

I agree, we are off topic and this is a senseless tragedy, and if they do find that the driver was negligent, hit him with the book.

11. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Three fingers pointing back at you

Let's see...mountain bikers get vilified by hikers and equestrians. Yeah, why don't we turn around and do it to somebody else!

Please cut the Super Duty driver some slack. I'm sure he's going through all sorts of guilt and anguish.

One second of inattention can result in tragedy regardless of what you're driving...or pedaling!

This is sad for everyone involved.

Attached Files:

12. nating75

nating75 New Member

Where in the statement does it say the boy was stopped? It says:
    For all anyone knows the boy may have been racing to (and through) the stop sign. When I was a kid I did it multiple times. I watched my friend sprint carelessly onto a major street to almost get hit causing the car to veer into the center divider and hit a tree. I've also been the driver when a kid came racing out in front of me bypassing a stop sign. Luckily, I was doing 25mph like I was supposed to and was able to slam on the brakes and miss him by inches!!!!

People are placing blame when they don't even know what really happened. This is a horrible accident and my condolences to the family of the boy.

13. stevo carrillo

stevo carrillo New Member

Production mgr. Textile printing.
    Such a shame.....My heart go's out to the family's and victims of both parties.

14. MTB4EVER

MTB4EVER New Member

Wanderer
    Oh man........
    That's brutal.
    :(

15. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

This is so heartbreaking. No parent should outlive their child. :(

16. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    God I hate reading stories like this and my thoughts and condolences go out the childs parents.

I watch my daughter ride on our street that is a cul-de -sac and I cringe, because no matter how much I tell her to watch for cars, she barrels into the street. #-o
    Kids do what they want to do and it is such a horrible accident with this situation. Im not blaming anyone here but both parties should share the blame.

I like trucks that are lifted, but I would say have a special license if you intend to drive one just like a limo or rv. At least get the dumbasses more educated on the perils of driving a truck like that.

17. Zonacat

Zonacat New Member

Life
    [​IMG] So sad. As the father of a 9-yr old boy, I can't imagine what that family must be going through. My condolences to the family.

No stones cast by me, an accident is just that, an accident. The driver will suffer more than most of us can imagine as well.

18. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    I thought I was having a bad day, my deepest condolences and prayers go out to the little guys family and friends.. God Bless you little man..

19. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

these are some of the dumbest, most poorly thought out posts i have ever read at this site.

maybe if the guy was in a prius we wouldnt have air pollution and the kid wouldnt be dead. maybe if the guy was in a smart car, then the kid would be ok and the driver would have gotten hurt. thats it, i have decided, only smart cars and road bikes are allowed on asphalt.

20. DaBuDa

DaBuDa Banned

Student
    I've always been taught that you look left, right, then left again before driving through an intersection.. Same thing applies on a bike.
    Ive almost been hit a couple times at intersections. I was trying to beat the light before it turned green for the motorist. It would have been my own fault.
    But this one sounds like its more of the drivers judgement.. Should looked both ways. Hard to miss a kid on a bike.. ESPECIALLY AFTER SCHOOL!